apart from autotrader.co.uk

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by grimep, Jan 20, 2008.

1. grimep

grimep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    and motors.co.uk, are there any other websites with as wide a selection out there? Ive been googling for a few days and it seems autotrader is No.1... but there's only 2 examples of the car I want within a reasonable distance..

2. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Pistonheads is good for enthusiast owned cars, and I can strongly recommend trawling the For Sale section on any marque specific forums. You usually find enthusiasts will have looked after the car much better than the average Joe, and on the forums you can usually view the sellers previous 100 or so posts to get an idea what they're like and what the car's been doing. I always avoid low post-count sellers as they are often traders trying it on or people hiding their forum history behind a new username.

What type of car are you looking for ?

3. grimep

grimep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Got a new arrival in the family so have had to get rid of the sports car and we're looking for a pipe-n-slippers family mpv type thing. Probably a Renault Scenic, even though they have horrendous reliability records (on a Scenic if it can go wrong, it will), we like the design and you can pick them up relatively cheap. Its that or a (yawn) C-Max.

actually to be more specific, I want a 1.9 diesel, 04 or 05 plate, under 30K miles, Dynamique or Privelidge, with the panoramic sunroof (even though they leak, leave pools of water in the footwells and burn out electrical components), and will pay £6500- £7500. The sunroof narrows the choice down considerably, without it you could pick one up with 15K on the clock for under 7 grand. But the other half likes the extra "lightness" :rolleyes:

4. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Have you considered the Seat Altea ? Available with the excellent VAG TDiPD engines which are very economical and fabulously torquey, and with a few choice mods can have some of the performance of sports cars. The 2.0 TDi PD140 can easily get 180bhp and 320 lb/ft, giving mid-range acceleration to rival many cars on the road (the 1.9 version of the same engine in my Fabia does 30-70 as fast as an Impreza and yet can achieve 60+mpg). Add in that they're better looking than the Scenic, and considerably more reliable. You've said the only reason you like the Scenic is its looks and sunroof, but when it's sat waiting for the AA it won't look very good, and most MPV's have fancy sunroofs these days.

5. grimep

grimep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, I had... she doesn't like the looks of the Altea unfortunately, and its her car at the end of the day. Still, I might have another go at persuasion... With the scenic, its also the interior design and features that are quite impressive.

thanks for the comments

6. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Women huh :rotfl:

You'll suffer if she doesn't get the one she wants, and it'll be your fault when her choice breaks down :lesson:

7. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    i think the seat altea looks great especially compared to the c-max, and others

just search for items like scenic panoramic local in google

i was looking for a black 5 door honda hrv on a very strict budget, i couldnt find any below £5k.

however i found one in a small local paper that also must put their adverts online on about the 7th page of a google result and i got it for well lets just say half of what i was happy to pay as the MIL light came on mid test drive, and only i knew that it wasnt serious ;)

8. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,197
    Why would you do that? The RX8 has Isofix and a boot big enough for a pushchair! And with the rear doors it's easy to get the kids in and out of!