1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AotC makes average use of surround sound?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by danzig66, Nov 19, 2002.

1. danzig66

danzig66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I recently got the R1 version of Attack of the Clones (as it's uncut ya see) and I was a bit underwhelmed by the film's sound. It seemed to me that it was a bit 'front heavy' with hardly anything appearing to come from the 'side' or rear. The Phantom Menace seemed to be much better in this regard. When Obi-wan and Qui-Gon first meet Jar Jar in the forest for instance you seem to be enveloped in sound. Bird calls and animal noises appear from behind and 'in the distance' for example.

What does everyone else think?

As for the film itself, it was fun but the love story element was even more cringeworthy the second time around! :)

[Insert signature here...]

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Ani should of just used the force and shagged her from the biggining. Who wouldnt?

Disclaimer: Rape is a very bad thing and the above comment was not meant to be taken seriously. Thank you.

3. L'arthur Minnet

L'arthur Minnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try facing the other way.

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    danzig66

I would maybe check your equipment. There is so much info coming from the rear. It is a feast for your ears.

5. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have to agree with Petrolhead.

Check the opening sequence where the Senators ship come booming across the screen, make you wanna look back and up.

This sequence is awsome and is a pretty good test I suppose.

6. danzig66

danzig66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. I will check my set-up again, but like I say it's weird how The Phantom Menace and other stuff like The Scorpion King (ahem) sound really good.

Mind you, I did just get the amp (Yamaha AX-620ES), so maybe I haven't set it up very well.

What other films would you recommend as a good test of rears?

Oh, and L'arthur, I could follow your suggestion, but then I'm hit with a severe picture quality issue...:D

7. danzig66

danzig66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually, I have a Yamaha AX-630ES...:)

8. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Gladiator opening battle.
    Toy Story 2 opening chapter
    Star Wars PM Pod Race
    saving Private Ryan beach landing

Star wars AOTC has been the best rear effect film to date.

Have you setup you speaker levels using the test tones and an SPL Meter? If not try it. The meter is a good investment £25 concidering you spend many hundreds on AV kit.

Good luck

9. danzig66

danzig66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi petrolhead,

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I used the test tones to set up the speakers (no SPL meter), but as I'm new to all this I think I may have boobed somewhere along the line. Should the test tone appear to be the same volume from all the speakers? I found dialog (from the centre speaker) to be too quiet in comparison to the rest of the movie when this was the case. To be honest, the manual I got wasn't very useful and I can't seem to adjust the volume of the front right/left, yet the test tone seems really loud through the rear right/left!

Funnily enough though, one of my friends got R2 AotC and also thought that it sounded really average on his system, yet Tomb Raider rocked his world (!).

I guess I'm going a bit off topic now, but is it better to raise your rear speakers off the floor too?

I will do some experimentation tonight with Gladiator and AotC once more though and report back...

10. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    All the speakers should be the same level. Thats why you need the SPL meter. Without it you are relying on your eyes and when I did mine the first time, it was amazing how much they were out by at least 1 - 2 db.

I always start with the center and then the rest.

The rears should be a couple of foot above your head in the listening position.

have fun tonight and welcome to the techie world of AV. All you need now is a anorack :)

PS FYI I use a Denon 3802

11. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    If you dont have a SPL meter play the film in stereo and then flick to DD to gauge the difference at the center channel. The dialog should be the same volume from L/R to center.

12. danzig66

danzig66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice folks! I think part of the problem was I have a cheap Packard Bell speaker and amplifier set. I had my Yamaha amp just passing the sound directly to the Packard Bell amp which was doing the decoding - doh! Anyway, I snipped off the connectors for plugging the speakers into the Packard Bell unit, connected the wires directly to the Yamaha and plugged the Packard Bell into the Yamaha's subwoofer out. Wow - what a difference! The sound is soooo much more revealing and the soundstage is so much bigger! Still not totally happy with the output from the rears :)grin:), so I will take your advice and go for an SPL meter in order to do some fine tuning.

Is there anywhere on the high street that sells a reasonable model for a reasonable price? I'm too impatient to order on-line! I had a look at Maplins and they have a £50 model, but i dunno if I want to splash that much cash.

Once I get my soundstage sorted I can think of upgrading the speakers...will the spending ever end?? :(

:D :D

13. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
  14. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree attack of the clones underwhelmed me with regard to the surround sound which was more aggressive and widely used in the previous film strange considering how new it is

15. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The rears aren't overly used as they were in the first film, but AOTC has some excellent subtle rear effects in it...Take Obi-Wan and Jango Fett's confrontation on Kamino for example....Obi-Wan plummets from the edge down toward the ocean. The camera is looking up from where he is falling, and as he falls past the camera to the left you can hear him grunt on the SL and SB speaker, giving the effect that he has just fallen past your head...I had to play it twice because the sound didn't seem to come from the speakers at all (obviously it did, but give it a try and you may be surprised).

Surround EX is also brilliant during the speeder chase near the beginning...In particular, the panning effect when Obi-Wan says "What you're doing is suicide!".

16. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Mr M
    Do you still have the problem with your 36PF10 and the Denon 3800 ?
    The faint horizontal banding problem we spoke about it a while ago.
    If you do let me know I got mine sorted, will forward you some links.

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    The opening assasination attempt has good seperation for the final parts of the explosion, some of which noticably comes from the back surrounds (6.1) - actualy made me look behind. :blush:

Gary

18. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Mr THX,

Yeah...still have the same problem. I'm using S-Video at the moment but would rather use RGB...Any suggestions would be great

19. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Give this a try http://***********/2ahn
    Sorted mine out no problem. There is a slight trade off as my Sky Digital has some of the line on it but there hardly noticable. Much less than on a £1000 DVD machine and its easier to live with.
    Any problems PM me.

20. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thx Mr THX...I'll give it a try.

I've no care for Sky Digital (unless it's something I really want to watch, like the news), only DVD...so a slight drop-out in picture won't rattle my cage much...no one else in the household cares much for picture quality, all they know is that it's a big fekkin' TV and that's the end of it.