Aorus X5S v5 Camo UHD Gaming Laptop Review & Comments

nicfaz

I like the fact that you review laptops but this is utterly pointless - a new laptop with a 1060 chip would slaughter it, never mind a 1080. Do not buy.

[Edited to say that the above was a bit harsh but the point remains - Nvidia have made a massive step forward in mobile GPUs from the 900 series to the 1000 series and there is no point buying an older one - Aorus would have to sell at a loss to make the discount worth it. 7/10 is extremely generous]

Last edited:

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I like the fact that you review laptops but this is utterly pointless - a new laptop with a 1060 chip would slaughter it, never mind a 1080. Do not buy.

[Edited to say that the above was a bit harsh but the point remains - Nvidia have made a massive step forward in mobile GPUs from the 900 series to the 1000 series and there is no point buying an older one - Aorus would have to sell at a loss to make the discount worth it. 7/10 is extremely generous]
Thanks for the comments. I was very undecided about the score, but felt 7/10 was fair for what it was. Remember the score is just my opinion. Hopefully you will garner your own score from the rest of the review.

But yes, you are right and I did mention it in the review that the 10 series chips make the GTX980M redundant.

ODB_69

Distinguished Member
I like the look of it visually being a fan of camo but nicfaz is right

Shame they didn't hold this back and launch with new GPU...add in the price and it's not looking like it's going to get strong sales tbh

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Nvidia have made a massive step forward in mobile GPUs from the 900 series to the 1000 series
Massive is perhaps overstating it, the increase is similar to the improvements of previous generations. At the same power level it's about 50% faster and given nVidia have also pushed up the pricing the real world benefit may be less than that.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom