AOL Router Query - Please help...

Scutch

Hey guys, been lurking around on AVForums for a while now, but decided to see if you knowledge enduced folks can help me out.

Ok, so I got my Router and everything set up. Its been detected and working fine. But this is only while the ethernet cable is connected from the router to my network ethernet card in the side of my laptop.

When I run the AOL Auto CD it goes through everything ok with the ethernet cable connected, it then asks me to remove the cable so the wireless adapter can establish a connection with the router. I do so, it goes through a few more steps and says:

The wireless adapter has now been found and updated

Checking wireless access to the router.

All good until the final downer

Wireless access to the router has not been established.

It then gives a list of possible reasons, router not too close or far away etc. But everything is fine I think?

I'm logged on now using the router with the ethernet cable plugged in, as soon as I remove it I have no connection. So its not exactly wireless yet. Although I have rid the AOL sign up etc.

Any ideas how I can establish a connection when I remove the ethernet cable?

Oh and its a speedtouch router.

Cheers.

sore napper

Hi

I have a speedtouch 576 router and AOL, never had the problem that you're talking about. I don't remember the software asking me to remove the cable when setting the router up for wireless. All that I can mind it asking is for me to give

my Username, this has to include @aol.com,
a name for the wireless network
and a password

I hate to state the obvious, but is wireless turned on in the PC/laptop.

If you where using the AOL CD, you must have had to install their sofware to get to the router setup. I would just use Internet Explorer until you get it up and running.

You can run the setup again without the problem of going through the full CD again. Follow the link select your make of router and download and run. It will give you a WEP at the end of setup, copy and paste it into a notepad as you will need this later to connect to the wireless network.

http://help.aol.co.uk/modem-driver-software-and-installation-guides/article/20060802092809990028

Scutch

Cheers for that. I've tried this setup and it gets to the 3rd test before claiming that the DSL line has failed.

The DSL light is green, so I shouldnt have a problem with it surely? I'm using the ethernet cable now connected to my router and the DSL cable is from the router to the filter in the phone socket so it cant be failing as I'm still on the internet.

I've tried unplugging it several times during the test, but to no avail. Gets to task 3 every time and then DSL line failed.

:lease:

sore napper

If the test is now failing when its checking your line, the full configuration hasn't completed so the settings will remain as they where.

Ok, I know this is hateful when it happens, but my router done this quite a few times as well.

There's a little reset button at the back of the router, reset it.You will need a pen or a pin to press reset. Reset, and turn it of. Run the set up again with the cable plugged in for the duration. You might have to follow these steps a few times until they work.

Scutch

If the test is now failing when its checking your line, the full configuration hasn't completed so the settings will remain as they where.

Ok, I know this is hateful when it happens, but my router done this quite a few times as well.

There's a little reset button at the back of the router, reset it.You will need a pen or a pin to press reset. Reset, and turn it of. Run the set up again with the cable plugged in for the duration. You might have to follow these steps a few times until they work.

I've tried it twice now. How do you actually reset the router? I've used a pen nib/pin and pressed the reset button at the back but it remains on? Is that right? Even held it down for a good few seconds. Nevertheless, I did that and switched it off.
Tried the whole set up again like you linked above.

Get to Step 9. Testing Installation.
Light 1 goes green. Light 2 goes green. Light 3 goes red.
Test 3: DSL line failure :(

I know it works because I'm online right now! lol. But only with the ethernet cable attached from my PCMCIA card on my laptop to the router. As soon as I take that out I get the onscreen message network cable unplugged and no internet access.

Thanks for your help dude, its much appreciated. I'm sure I'll get there in the end with your help! :smashin:

sore napper

The only other things that I can think of are:

If you are not testing at the Master Socket in the house. Go and test there.

Make sure that all the cables are connected properly. If you have any extra cables, try replacing them.

Scutch

The only other things that I can think of are:

If you are not testing at the Master Socket in the house. Go and test there.

Make sure that all the cables are connected properly. If you have any extra cables, try replacing them.

It is the master socket and I've tried other cables. The thing is, surely the DSL is working because I'm using it now to access the internet? I'm using the very same cables and socket. The only time it fails is when I come to configure the router to be wireless and rid this yellow ethernet cable! :thumbsup:

But for now, its still there... I dont want to phone Speedtouch at 50p a minute :(

sore napper

Ok, lets try something.

When I set my router up, it never did check wireless access to the router. I'm using a Speedtouch 576. The only thing that I had to do was:

my Username, this has to include @aol.com,
AOL password
a name for the wireless network
and a new password

Did you get that far the very first time that you tried to set up the router.

If you did, the wireless connection might have already been set up.

If so, go to on the bottom left

START

CONNECT TO , this should give you two options

WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTIONS and SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS
selected wireless network connections if its there, if not show all connections

Wireless Network Connections will open a box, in it Select View Wireless Networks. This will open a larger box that lists all the wireless networks in your range. If none are listed, select Refresh Network List at the top left hand side. If the router has been set up, a network should appear in this box.

If you had to use the Show All Connections option, it will open a window, double click the Wireless Network Connection and in the next box, View Wireless Networks. This will take you to the Refresh Network List Box, Refresh if needed.

Ok

Assuming that your wireless network comes up in the list, click Connect.

It will now ask you for an Encryption Key. This would have been generated by the router upon set up and should be found on your C Drive. Go there and there should be a few Text Documents that were produced by the router upon set up. One of them should be called md5key, open it and copy and paste the key into the box that ask for the Encryption Key, they hit OK or Connect.

Give that a try and let us know

sore napper

No your card doesn't appear to be wireless, but if your have wireless build in the laptop you should be able to connect no problem.

When I first set my router up for wireless it would not connect wireless. I couldn't understand this at the time. I had done everything correctly.

I needed to type in the WEP Key, which I didn't know. On set up it never gave it to me. It was only later when I downloaded the driver for the router and reconfigured it that it gave me the WEP Key at the end of set up. I later learned that the WEP Key is also produced and placed in the C Drive in a Text Document.

If the router has encrypted the wireless network you will not be able to connect to it until you type in the WEP Key.

sore napper

However, my laptop is wireless so this shouldn't affect anything right, as it still says Wireless adapter has been found and updated etc?

Can't see this affecting anything. The only reason that I can think of it telling you that it was updated was that the driver wasn't installed for it, and it wasn't until the wireless adapter was needed, that the Laptop then installed the driver for it.

You might have to go to the Device Manger and Enable the Wireless Adapter.

Scutch

I've sorted my wireless connection - however I'm still getting nowhere with the setup of it to my router without the ethernet cable. I had a switch on the front of the laptop which needed flicking for wireless!

Anyway, I have this now (the green icon is the wireless which I've hovered over for the description)

p1yi9.jpg

Nevertheless, I still unplug the ethernet cable and get booted offline...

:confused:

Scutch

Ok I've finally sorted it. I'm pretty sure it was down to the switch on the front of the laptop which didnt work 4 times, so I tried one last time and the red light came on to activate it.

Anyway, I had this screen but the 3 connections above the Wireless connection were ALL active. So I had 4 active connections.

pi3jf6.jpg

So I disabled the 3 above the Wireless, as you can see, and pulled out the ethernet cable. It works a treat.

However, one thing... my connection speed is only 54.0Mbps. Now I know AOL have capped my speed during peak hours (or the other way around, I forget), so I'm presuming this is perhaps because of that. Is there any way I can check my speed on this wireless connection without having the AOL cap interfere? Just so I know there isnt a problem.

Cheers for the help too! I'm just hoping now when I restart the computer I dont have to go through it all again!

sore napper

:thumbsup:

Glad to see that you got it sorted.

As for your speed while wireless. These adapters have a standard setting.

speedtester.bt.com will give you the speed to your router. It's no good for testing the speed of your wireless connection

speedtest.net will give you a better indication of your wireless speed.

I'm on an 8MB connection. When wired I get 6.5MB and when wireless I get 1.9MB. I don't believe it's 100% accurate, but it's probably close enough.

As for testing times. AOL cut speeds for a lot of users between 6pm and 11pm. So if you want to test for your best speed, do it before or after these times. If AOL have cut your speed between 6 and 11pm, you will not get much more than 0.5mb.

Scutch

:thumbsup:

Glad to see that you got it sorted.

As for your speed while wireless. These adapters have a standard setting 0.54mb, but most if not all will run faster than that.

speedtester.bt.com will give you the speed to your router. It's no good for testing the speed of your wireless connection

speedtest.net will give you a better indication of your wireless speed.

I'm on an 8MB connection. When wired I get 6.5MB and when wireless I get 1.9MB. I don't believe it's 100% accurate, but it's probably close enough.

As for testing times. AOL cut speeds for a lot of users between 6pm and 11pm. So if you want to test for your best speed, do it before or after these times. If AOL have cut your speed between 6 and 11pm, you will not get much more than 0.5mb.

Cheers mate. Thanks for all your help and support! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom