1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AOL or Virgin Broadband?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Frazal666, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I currently have a 56K modem, and plan on switching to a 512K broadband. I don't know which one is better out of AOL or Vigin, please if anyone knows why I should or shouldnt choose eithe one, please tell me. Both have free Modem+connection (Virgin only till Wednesday 19th), unlimited access and £25 a month. According to ADSL Guide, Virgin is better overall, but they have ratings from November 04. Here are links: AOL: http://www.aol.co.uk/products/broadband/gold/, Virgin: http://www.virgin.net/internetaccess/signup/noscript.html, and ADSL Guide comparisons: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp?aol=ON&virginnet=ON&cmp_action=Compare. Thanks in Advance

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  3. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But that has a limit of 2GB, I would use that in 2 days! I would keep my computer on tpo download stuff, and according to my very rough and quick calculations, if it downloads at 110Kb/s, I would use 1 GB in 2.5 to 3 Hours. The 6 GB is very low for me as well, as I use internet very often. And 30GB, well, I might as well get that from BT Yahoo, but I dont need it that fast. Thanks for the heads up, I might consider the 30GB option...

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    No they don't, not yet anyway. I've had this since last year and i have downloaded many, many times the alleged cap with no problems. It's well known that they don't have the technology in place yet to monitor users download sizes.

5. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stay well away from AOL, ive used them before and didnt rate them highly at all.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DEMON Home 500 is what i am on after years of ntl cable connections............
    ntl freedom also do a decent deal both 512 for £17.99 PCM

7. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im on NTL Dial-up right now, if only they had the broadband in my area, I would have got broadband years ago. About wanadoo, it says 2GB limit??? Why would they say they have a limit if they couldnt moniter the downloads?

8. dogtanian38

dogtanian38
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd stay clear of most of the family friendly tv advert big budget isp's if you do want to use the service for what it was designed for. BT, Wanadoo, AOL etc are great for checking your email and web browsing, but to a certain extent they all port-throttle, impose 'reasonable use' limits etc even if not explicitly mentioned when signing up.

I'd recommend Pipex (23.44/month for 512). You don't and maybe shouldnt listen to me, but I would avoid anything your mum has heard of, especially if your leaving your computer on for long download periods and using lots of bandwidth. You are going to be an expensive customer so pick an isp who is small enough to care about your individual monthly fee.

Also for reliabilty reasons I would recommend using an external router/modem, (around £30 if you shop around) rather than the free usb modem supplied by your isp if you intend long periods of use.

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Some people believe all that they are told !

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ntl do ADSL now call ntl freedom (BB for none cabled areas.......)
    0845 6506123

11. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why a different modem? Lynx, even if they dont have it now, wont they have it soon? And if Im tied down to a 12 month contract, It wont be good... And is NTL ADSL good? Im gonna check the prices right now. Thanks.