AOL (free ps3) setup and usage questions

darkeeboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Im considering moving to AOL because of their free PS3 offer. I currently use Pipex fixed 1mb connection which is great, albeit expensive (£24 pm). A couple of questions if I may about AOL
1 - I have my email forwarded - ie [email protected]Tuk is forwarded (using 123-reg.co.uk) to my pipex email account - can you do the same with AOL
2 - Do you need to use AOL software? Ive read that you dont need to, which is what I want to do - ie stay with the current setup of IE and Outlook.
3 - Are AOL any good? Is there anything that should be screaming at me to walk away from the offer?
4 - I currently have two pop3 accounts with pipex (one for me and the other for my wife) - so that we both can use the internet/outlook on each pc. Is this the same with AOL?

Finally, anyone taken them up on the free PS3 offer?

1. Yes this has nothing to do with the ISP. You will need to log into your 123 web portal & change the address that emails get forwarded to.

2. I'm pretty sure you don't need to install their software these days.

3. The main draw backs are the 2 year contract & their fair use policy/traffic shaping. However Pipex have similar restrictions in place. It will depend on how you specifically use the internet (mainly if you use p2p, newsgroups or other high bandwidth gobbling activity) but chances are if you are happy with Pipex, you will be happy with AOL.

4. I believe you get 7 pop3 email accounts with AOL.

Also bear in mind the price advertised is only available in certain areas (where AOL have installed their own LLU kit in the local exchange). In other areas it may be £10 dearer.

I have myself recently moved to AOL on the lure of free PS3. (previous provider "orange" was rubbish anyway but that another story). Anyway after few weeks noticed that the service was still slow. Broadband checker was giving me a download speed of 0.5mbs. Called technical support about the problem and after nearly an hour of listening to people trying to get me to change various settings on my PC GGGRRRRRRRRR i was finally informed that i had been limited to this speed. After a few choice words i informed him that this is not what i had signed for. He then informed me that there must have been a mistake and put me through to customer services who confirmed a mistake had been made and promised that the full 8meg service would be up and running within 48 hours.
I wonder if this "mistake" would have been noticed if i had never complained, and how many other people with limited technical knowlege this has, or will, happen to. May save the company a few quid. Just a bit of a conspiracy theory! Although customer services were really helpful and at least i could understand what the technicians were saying. (Unlike Orange)

you'll have to report back in a couple of days to update us on your speeds - Im hovering over the "go" button as Ive only got a 1mb line at the mo - was the call free of charge?

i have moved to aol and have found them to be a total nightmare. i connected to their service on christmas eve. i didnt get my wireless router until 27th. Anyway i went on holiday and came back to a bill from aol talk with 70 for ten sec duration to a bogus number. the house was empty during this time. spent the whole day yesterday trying to sort it out with them. they will not take resposibility and customer service is the worst i,ve ever had. i wish i had stayed with orange.

forgot to mention i have now plugged out my phones and have sent a letter to aol today. basically nobody could solve my problem and that was that. i was at it for about 6 hours with them

Hmm, thats not good news. I take it you were on their pay as you go type landline service?

Hmm, thats not good news. I take it you were on their pay as you go type landline service?

no i,m on the broadband with "free wireless router and laptop ". when you sign up they want your voice calls otherwise its an extra 10 quid. my advice is avoid. why do you think they giving a laptop/ps3?

Still not getting the proper service and got passed around half of India with no one wantin to help me. Only finally got through to someone who could help me when i chose the "cancel AOL services" option. Customer service adviser told me my "upgrade to 8 meg" was in the pipeline but would take a number of further days.
Just a question. Does anyone know a ISP with good customer service and doesn't use indian call centres? AOL is my third (previously was with NTL then Orange) and they all seem as bad as each other.

Still not getting the proper service and got passed around half of India with no one wantin to help me. Only finally got through to someone who could help me when i chose the "cancel AOL services" option. Customer service adviser told me my "upgrade to 8 meg" was in the pipeline but would take a number of further days.
Just a question. Does anyone know a ISP with good customer service and doesn't use indian call centres? AOL is my third (previously was with NTL then Orange) and they all seem as bad as each other.

You sound like you are having the same service as me. i reckon we could start up www.wehateaol.com and have thousands of members in a few days. The people they have in india are useless. I was onto orange my last provider the other day and it was a breath of fresh air compared to aol. They are also based in india also but seem to have a better standard of training. AOL seem to be putting bodies in front of telephones and letting them get on with it. the only pleasure i will get from this mob is telling them to f off in 2 years time.

IDnet, Newnet, Zen & Entanet are all good ISPs with knowledgable UK support & one month contracts.

Ah, a topic is already here, good, I was just about to make one.

I've been an AOL member for many, many years now. Currently I'm on 2mb broadband at £15.99 mth. I noticed this offer with the free laptop or PS3. I initially had my eyes on the laptop as I already have a PS3 anyway.

I have decided I now want the PS3 though, as I'm forever dragging my PS3 in and out of my gaming room and into the living room to setup for the occassional Blu-ray movie rental. This seems like it would be a good solution to me.

I presume existing members can get this too? I may ring up about it but I do have some concerns though. This "Pay as you Go" AOL Talk service, I have no interest in it as we use a similar thing with BT which we are contracted to. Do I actually have to use this at all then or is it just an option? I do not want to use it.

I'm happy enough with the service I'm getting atm, but for £4 extra a month, then a free PS3 and Wireless Router seems like a good deal. The real concern I have is the 40GB download limit.
When I first signed up for AOL Broadband a few years back, it was advertised as unlimited, and I've had no issues this far. So not sure whether I'm capped or not.

I expect a 40GB cap, I'm presuming it is monthly, then well this should be fine shouldn't it? I do game an awful lot online, on both the Xbox 360 and PS3 at the moment, as well as use the internet on several PC's in the house. I do not want to limit things for ourselves here for the broadband.

If this is indeed fine, then assuming I can actually receive 8MB dl on my line, then that would be great I suppose for download of Demos and videos from the Xbox 360 and PS3's online stores (compared to ym current 2MB connection). Seeing as this should enable them to increase my download speed, does anyone know if they are able to increase our uploads speeds too? This obviously would be great for gaming and may help with some of those "bullcrap" moments that online gaming presents us with.

I apologise for my post being rather lengthy, I just want to make sure I have all the bases covered before taking the plunge.

Waynej. I have been reading the terms and conditions and i think the free laptop/ps3 only comes when you order the broadband wireless plus. I took an option for an extra £5 a months which includes unlimited anytime local and national calls. (Good in my house as my girlfriend can talk ALOT on the phone). I would imagine it would be open to existing members. If not just leave and rejoin if your not already tied into a contract. I dont think 40gig restriction should be a problem even if you are running a number of pc's constantly unless your downloading alot of movies etc.
Hope this helps!!

Ah, a topic is already here, good, I was just about to make one.

I've been an AOL member for many, many years now. Currently I'm on 2mb broadband at £15.99 mth. I noticed this offer with the free laptop or PS3. I initially had my eyes on the laptop as I already have a PS3 anyway.

I have decided I now want the PS3 though, as I'm forever dragging my PS3 in and out of my gaming room and into the living room to setup for the occassional Blu-ray movie rental. This seems like it would be a good solution to me.

I presume existing members can get this too? I may ring up about it but I do have some concerns though. This "Pay as you Go" AOL Talk service, I have no interest in it as we use a similar thing with BT which we are contracted to. Do I actually have to use this at all then or is it just an option? I do not want to use it.

I'm happy enough with the service I'm getting atm, but for £4 extra a month, then a free PS3 and Wireless Router seems like a good deal. The real concern I have is the 40GB download limit.
When I first signed up for AOL Broadband a few years back, it was advertised as unlimited, and I've had no issues this far. So not sure whether I'm capped or not.

I expect a 40GB cap, I'm presuming it is monthly, then well this should be fine shouldn't it? I do game an awful lot online, on both the Xbox 360 and PS3 at the moment, as well as use the internet on several PC's in the house. I do not want to limit things for ourselves here for the broadband.

If this is indeed fine, then assuming I can actually receive 8MB dl on my line, then that would be great I suppose for download of Demos and videos from the Xbox 360 and PS3's online stores (compared to ym current 2MB connection). Seeing as this should enable them to increase my download speed, does anyone know if they are able to increase our uploads speeds too? This obviously would be great for gaming and may help with some of those "bullcrap" moments that online gaming presents us with.

I apologise for my post being rather lengthy, I just want to make sure I have all the bases covered before taking the plunge.

if you dont take aol talk its an extra tenner a month. so it would be 29.99.
i think you should phone them up and say you are thinking of moving to say orange. I was paying 12.99 for 8mb plus free evening/weekend calls plus wireless when i was with orange. i,d say if you bluff you will get upgraded and a price reduction. I,d say you are paying over the odds right now.

if you dont take aol talk its an extra tenner a month. so it would be 29.99.
i think you should phone them up and say you are thinking of moving to say orange. I was paying 12.99 for 8mb plus free evening/weekend calls plus wireless when i was with orange. i,d say if you bluff you will get upgraded and a price reduction. I,d say you are paying over the odds right now.

Think I'll pass on it then. I'll give a ring soon and try what you mentioned, they regurlarly ring up every so often mentioning wireless (I joined when they did the USB modem thing, and so bought my own WIRED router since then).

Call AOL and tell them you have purchased your own router and not through them and not with a deal ,i did this and they offered the same service for £9.99 a month . Nothing to do with the PS3 /Laptop offer but i believe you can get your monthly fee down to £9.99 . If i remember correct AOL were offering a free router with the £14.99 deal but if you had already bought your own router the give you the deal for £9.99 . Hope this helps

One thing to mention if you are worried about the 40gig limit, some of the larger demos for the ps3 are about 1gig each, so you may use it quicker than you think, at least at first

Shaz

Call AOL and tell them you have purchased your own router and not through them and not with a deal ,i did this and they offered the same service for £9.99 a month . Nothing to do with the PS3 /Laptop offer but i believe you can get your monthly fee down to £9.99 . If i remember correct AOL were offering a free router with the £14.99 deal but if you had already bought your own router the give you the deal for £9.99 . Hope this helps

Nice, I may do that actually. I don't really have a need for wireless anyway as all the cabling is already fitted around the various rooms for computers and game consoles anyway. The only time it would come in handy for me, would be if I decide to get a laptop, which I probably wont bother with.

By the way, what speed are you getting then mate? My router reports (last time I checked) that I'm getting something like 2072kb down and 288k up. Which tbh is perfectly fine for me, though I do often wonder if 8mb would benefit me sometimes in gaming, as there are always moments where you "know" you should have got the kill in that Halo game or whatever.

One thing to mention if you are worried about the 40gig limit, some of the larger demos for the ps3 are about 1gig each, so you may use it quicker than you think, at least at first

Shaz

That offer for the PS3/Laptop is a no go for me now I'm afraid, as I've just found out were contracted for another 18 months with one of BT's call packages. Not too sure if I would have gone with it anyway.

Im interested in the free laptop but just realised that Dell has raised the spec on their cheapest laptop and wander if AOL will soon be giving this lapto free soon. Maybe they have alredy bought set number of the old spec laptops. Anyone know anything on this?

Im interested in the free laptop but just realised that Dell has raised the spec on their cheapest laptop and wander if AOL will soon be giving this lapto free soon. Maybe they have alredy bought set number of the old spec laptops. Anyone know anything on this?

sorry wrong info above. dell had it hidden in thier web site as usual! the cheap laptop do exist on their site

After being without internet at home (let alone broadband) for several years (use free broadband all day at work so haven't really needed it) my wife recently decided that she wanted to spend more time working at home, so she wanted a laptop and preferably wireless broadband.

So after much deliberation and worry (yes, I've read all the complaints) I decided that even if the aol service isn't great, for £20 a month for 2 years I'll pay a total of £480. Take from that the value of the free laptop and wireless router (around £400) - which I would have had to buy seperately anyway, and I'm looking at paying about £80 for the actual broadband, which is about £3.50 per month! Obviously if you already had a laptop and PS3 it might not be as good value, but even if you sold them on it's still fairly cheap.

So I decided it was a risk worth taking. Ordered through carphone warehouse, wireless router arrived yesterday and was very easy to set up (on my existing PC). Connected at about 3500kb down and 380k up when I first tried it last night, which seems a little above average and is perfectly ok for my needs.

Had to phone customer services twice, both times had about a 5 minute wait (thank God for speakphones!) and spoke to a person in an Indian call centre who was easy to understand, polite and knowledgable. So far so good. I'll report back as and when the laptop arrives.

*Also, to answer one of the original questions, no AOL doesn't install all the software which it used to, and yes you can carry on using your normal browser (I've tried both IE and Firefox).*

So how is the FUP?
When do they traffic shape you and such? Blocking torrents?

After being without internet at home (let alone broadband) for several years (use free broadband all day at work so haven't really needed it) my wife recently decided that she wanted to spend more time working at home, so she wanted a laptop and preferably wireless broadband.

So after much deliberation and worry (yes, I've read all the complaints) I decided that even if the aol service isn't great, for £20 a month for 2 years I'll pay a total of £480. Take from that the value of the free laptop and wireless router (around £400) - which I would have had to buy seperately anyway, and I'm looking at paying about £80 for the actual broadband, which is about £3.50 per month! Obviously if you already had a laptop and PS3 it might not be as good value, but even if you sold them on it's still fairly cheap.

So I decided it was a risk worth taking. Ordered through carphone warehouse, wireless router arrived yesterday and was very easy to set up (on my existing PC). Connected at about 3500kb down and 380k up when I first tried it last night, which seems a little above average and is perfectly ok for my needs.

Had to phone customer services twice, both times had about a 5 minute wait (thank God for speakphones!) and spoke to a person in an Indian call centre who was easy to understand, polite and knowledgable. So far so good. I'll report back as and when the laptop arrives.

*Also, to answer one of the original questions, no AOL doesn't install all the software which it used to, and yes you can carry on using your normal browser (I've tried both IE and Firefox).*

Dont forget you have to sign up for AOL talk. seems to be working more expensive than BT for me at the moment.

Dont forget you have to sign up for AOL talk. seems to be working more expensive than BT for me at the moment.

That's true, but we've signed up for the 'pay as you go' package (so don't pay anything extra) because both my wife and I get more free minutes on our mobiles every month than we can use, so never really use the home phone for outgoing calls. I think it costs an extra £2.50 a month to get their free evening and weekend call plan.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom