1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AOL free disc in MGM type dvd case...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by encaser, Feb 15, 2003.

1. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I got one of these AOL dvd cases through today trying to elicit me to their broadband service. However, what struck me was the case! I thought, "Aha, a spare emergency dvd case". And then, "Ooh, I have Night of the Living Dead freebie which would last better in that". Then, "Wait a minute. Postie delivered that without a hitch. It has No card package case, NO padded bag or even a manky envolope to protect it and yet it's in perfect condition with a decent centre pin structure still and NO bloody shaker disc":eek: :rolleyes: :mad: Perhaps we should ask the dvd houses to start sending all dvds via these free cases as less certainly appears to be more. And have the amaray case sent seperately to be battered as per.:laugh:

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's a very good point you have made encaser ;). I agree entirely. I've had quite a few of those AOL freebies in the post and every time they are perfect. Yet 3 out of 5 DVD's from abroad or even from Play, end up loose from the central holder and rattling about in the case :confused:.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Shakers' annoy me something rotten.

I have had many shakers from Play more than anyone else. I have also had a couple of shakers from AtlanticDVD and CD-WOW, but none more than Play. I don't know why I get so many from Play.

When I consider I must have ordered almost 70 DVDs from A&B Sound in Canada and yet only ever had one shaker from them - and even then it was only because the central disk holding mechanism had snapped - I just can't understand why I get so many from Play. They're the same disks after all :confused:

Of course, never had a shaker from EzyDVD because they use polystyrene to prevent that :D

4. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How many times did you mention Play in that post SG.:rolleyes: Anybody would think you've got a play fixation.:devil: Mind you I had two films delivered from them last week and both were shakey Jakes, bit freaky realy:rolleyes:, Oh Baby. I reckon they must do it on purpose.:rotfl:

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    OK - Here's a little experiment we can all do together to explain why this happens with a standard single disc amaray box.

Step 1 - Go and get said amary box with dvd in.

Step 2 - Put in a jiffy bag, or dont doent really matter will have same effect.

Step 3 - press down on the centre of the amaray case.

Step 4 - open dvd, and Ta da it is free from its holder.

Step 4 is when they put the sticky label on the outside of the jiffy bag, pressing down on it releases the disc, ive done it a couple of times myself and had to open packages up and repack them.

I Have only ever had a couple of "floaters" and the damage that was caused to the disc was so minimal, that I would not have even noticed it unless I was being particulary Anal about the condition of the disc. The few times that it has happened the damage has not even effected playback.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If that's true, then that would mean some suppliers put their stickers on prior to inserting the DVD in the jiffy bag, whereas others (like Play, Play, Play) do it after the DVD is already in the bag.

That would explain why I've had more incidents with Play, Play, Play (I'll keep saying their name to keep Kevb happy :D :p :laugh: ) than any other supplier. I don't think I've had any 'shakers' from Play where the disks have been auto-packed, so there is hope... :)

They're called 'shakers', please don't call them 'floaters'. Floaters in my mind are 'brown beef cakes' that won't flush down the loo ;) :rotfl:

Also, I think you're underestimating the damage that can be done to the disks.

On Monday I will be posting back to CD-WOW two copies of Brotherhood of the Wolf 3-disk Collector's Edition because Disk 1 came loose in both cases :( The damage down to the disks was significantly bad (numerous seriously big scuffs and scratches) and I wouldn't fancy their chances at playing without fault. Much of this has to do with the particular disk holder used in this pack and it's quite a raised 'spindle' which narrows at the top.

I have also had a disk from AtlanticDVD that came loose in transit and the inner ring got a hairline fracture. Thankfully, the fracture was only on one side so I didn't return it - but it could've been much worse...

7. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Floater sounds so much more funny.

Not underestimating, ive seen the state of some of my brothers xbox games and they were nasty, just speaking from personal experience, all the "floaters:rotfl:" that I have had havent been that bad.