AOC L32W551T 32" HDTV + Intekx.com Mini-Reviews!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by craigpugsley, Apr 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. craigpugsley

craigpugsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chaps,

I just wanted to pop down some notes in a little review-ette on both the AOC L32W551T 32" HDTV that I recently purchased, and a quick little summary of the company I purchased it from: Intekx.

First off, Intekx themselves. I can't recommend these guys highly enough. I gave them a call just before five in the afternoon last Friday and asked if they had any of the Hannspree 32" HDTVs in stock, and could I come to collect. They said that they didn't have any of that model in, but they did have the 32" AOC instead. I asked whether it would be possible to come and collect the item, and was told that as long as I got there before 7pm, they would wait around and I could collect!! Superb!! When I got there, I had a good long natter with the sales chap, who was telling me all about the different things they do, and the key differences between the AOCs and the Hannsprees (basically, it boils down to the Hannspree looking a little nicer with the piano-black finish, but the AOC has better specs).

I even needed a DVI-HDMI cable to be able to actually use the TV when I got home, and I asked if they sold them. They said they didn't, but the company next door did, and they would pop around and get one for me!! How great is that service!! :smashin:

Long and short: Intekx really pulled out the stops to help me. I understand from other reviews on this forum that they also ship pretty quick too (next day?), so everyone can take advantage of their superb service. I get the feeling that, if there had been a problem, Intekx would have set me straight too.

In the undercutting world of cheapo electronics, its rare to find a company that both sell their kit at bargain prices and can back that up with good service. In my experience Intekx can do just that.

Now a quickie on the TV itself. I've only had it for a few nights now, but have given it a bit of a run for its money in that time. First off, my setup:

- AOC 32" HDTV
    - Apple Mac Mini (Core Duo, 512MB RAM)
    - EyeTV 400 DVB-T PVR
    - Harmon Kardon Soundsticks
    - External Firewire & USB 2.0 disks totalling around 300GB
    - Nintendo Wii

Video: Mac Mini > AOC via DVI - HDMI cable
    Audio: Mac Mini > Soundsticks

Wii audio + video: Currently on composite into AOC (component cable on order).

First off, the signal from the Mac Mini is crisp and clear (as you would expect). There is no option to align the screen it would appear, so I have a picture that is slightly off centre, with a black bar down the right-hand side. I'm not sure if this is the fault of the Mac Mini or the AOC itself, but it really isn't a major problem. An alternative would be to use the VGA port, but I have read comments that this can cause tearing and blurriness (which I'm keen to avoid).

The PVR is powered by the Mac Mini, and the EyeTV software. The full-screen menus look particularly crisp and clear on the AOC and the programme guide is very easy to read from across the room. I'm guessing the EyeTV software will scale up to fit the resolution of the screen, as none of the fonts or lines used in the menus look jaggy or 'scaled up'.

The SD Freeview signal from my PVR itself is good. Obviously, the signal itself isn't HD, but EyeTV does a good job of 'upscaling' to over double the native resolution of the SD signal. No noticeable blurriness or tearing, unless you're up really close. A very nice picture.

However, fire up some HD content (obviously the Mac Mini doesn't have a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive, and I absolutely definitely haven't downloaded any illegal HD films, so, erm... HD movie trailers! Yes, that kind of HD content) and this is where the set up really shines. The Mac Mini I have can cope with 720p H.264 decoding without a problem at all. It starts to have a problem at 1080, but I'm over that, as the AOC isn't 1080 natively anyway.

Again, the picture is crisp, clear, fluid, bright (I had to up the brightness a few notches in the TV itself) and the contrast appears good. Viewing angles are excellent too.

Plugging the Wii up to it via scart isn't quite the same experience. Wii, of course, doesn't provide an HD signal, so the picture quality isn't great. I'm also going over the crappiest of all connections, scart (which I think is composite?). Apparently, once I use the component connection instead, the Wii will start to put out at 480p, which is at least an HD resolution. The component cable should be with me soon, and I'll update you on what the Wii looks like when that comes.

Couple of slightly negative points, I've found so far:

- There are about four dead pixels. On a display this size, that's a very small percentage, but they are there. You can't see them in normal usage, and have to put up a solid colour (darkish blue, for example) to contrast enough to see them.
    - DVI doesn't carry the audio via HDMI. And there doesn't appear to be another way to get the sound from the Mac Mini into the TV. If I use VGA, however, there is a separate 'audio in' port that I could use. I solve this by having the soundsticks plugged directly into the Mac.
    - The Remote Control is crappy. Some of the buttons don't seem to do anything (you can't change the source input from the remote, it would seem).
    - Not being able to change the vertical and horizontal alignment of the picture from an HDMI source is a bit of a pain (the aforementioned black band down the right-hand side). I could adjust this if I was using the VGA port, and maybe I'll try that if it pisses me off enough.
    - No cables in the box. If you want a cable, you're going to have to buy it. But for this price, it ain't really a problem.

So, in conclusion, both the AOC TV and Intekx themselves are great and I couldn't be happier. Thanks very much!

2. Hubba-EX

Hubba-EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Nice review mate.

3. northerngeezer

northerngeezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I agree about Intekx, both the manager and the guy who looks after the internet sales were very helpful and didn't mind me asking about the set before I took the plunge to buy it.

Sorry forgot to mention I bought the Hannspree 37" JT model.

4. mat060572

mat060572

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My father recently bought the 32" AOC from Intekx and they got it to him very efficiently over the Easter period.

Can I ask - does the sound on it sound really 'tinny' or could he have a duff one. They only use it for normal TV but even compared to my Samsung (which people knock for having bad sound) the sound is awful.

:lease:

5. 77KWC

77KWC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good luck and enjoy your screen.

6. RPD_UK

RPD_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Scart is ok - as long as the output from the Wii is RGB (or even S Video).

Does the Wii not output an RGB signal then ?

If not - and you are stuck with just composite over scart - then you are right - its pretty poor - though an 'RF' connection would be even worse.

Also, 480p is not in the HD spec's. HD has to be a minimum of 720p. 480p is actually called 'EDTV' - along with 576p.

Having said that, even 480p would look infinately superior to the composite connection you seem stuck with over scart.

On a side note I also have to give a big shout-out to Intekx who do indeed offer an efficient and friendly service.

I ordered the Hanspree XV37 (JT) on a Thursday afternoon and it was with me on the Friday. :thumbsup:

I tried the JT for several days and, even though i eventually decided it wasn't for me, it is great value - as long as you can live with its short-comings.

The 'deal breaker' for me was mainly the lack of 'proper' contrast. Couple this with no 'back-light' adjustment and i'm afriad dark material was a bit lacking in the 'shadow detail' department.

The other 'issues' i had were some of the 'flashing' issues over scart from my DVD player (Pioneer 575) and some juddering over D-Sub from my Mac - though at least the JT supports a proper w-xga size desktop.

'Banding' as also evident in some scenes, where subtle gradients of colour were reduced to blocky bands - though to be fair many other (more expensive) LCD TV's suffer from this too.

On the plus side my 360 looked superb in 720p over component - even though there was some over-scan (visable on the HUD on GRAW2).

Web browsing was also very nice - with a huge sized desktop that was razor sharp in pic quality.

Build quality was good (for the price) and the JT looked like it cost much more than it does imo. It has PIP and POP plus a user picture set-up per input - which is great for a TV at this price.

Even though it had the above problems i was still a little sad to see it go. Its probably going to cost me quite a bit more to get something better.

Intekx didn't hang around refunding my money either - it was back in my account within 3 days. They even refunded the carriage and didn't charge me for collection either !! :)

Top marks for Intekx all round me thinks. :thumbsup:

7. craigpugsley

craigpugsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound ain't great. I haven't had a huge amount of experience with it just yet (I've got the soundsticks for TV), but the experience was average to poor. Not necessarily too tinny, but certainly not great.

I did find turning on the 'SRS WOW' helped somewhat.

8. craigpugsley

craigpugsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments.

I stand corrected on the '420p being HD' comment. I wasn't quite sure about it, but now I know. Looking forward to the component cable for the Wii and getting myself some EDTV action ;-)

9. craigpugsley

craigpugsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some pictures - as apparently, they say a thousand words.

Attached Files:

10. Hubba-EX

Hubba-EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Do you get any blurring in football, and gaming?

11. Junglist_uk

Junglist_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    theres a new model available btw the L32W581B with digital tuner included, anyone gonna try one?

12. craigpugsley

craigpugsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't say I've noticed any blurring at all. I don't watch football, but I have played games and I didn't notice any blurring at all.