1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anywone using Adobe Photoshop Album to grap photos from a Canon D10 ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by pholman, Apr 14, 2005.

1. pholman

pholman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been using Photoshop Album (2.01) as my main manager of digital photos, acquired from both still cameras (mainly Sony) and scanned-to-folder negatives (I have a Minolta Scan Dual IV).

However, my older camera's basically appear as "mass storage devices" on my XP machine.

I've now moved to a Canon D10 (purchased from a friend), which has a WIA driver - works fine with its own applications (I downloaded the latest from Canon's site), but doesn't seem to work well with other windows apps - such as PhotoAlbum.

Basically, appears to start grabbing perhaps 20 images ... and then Album just hangs, whilst the camera stops saying "Busy".

Anyone else using this approach ... of just my problem ?

I suppose one alternative would be a cheap USB 2.0 flash reader, which would at least speed up transfers !

Thanks !

Paul

BTW ... the nice thing about Photalbum is that the acquisition of images is pretty automated - all can be grabbed, placed on a default folder, and the camera cflash cleared ready for use.

I'm now grabbing using file viewer, either dragging the images to my hand-selected folder or using the export to application function ..and then reformatting the cflash .

2. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    If you dont want to use a seperate card reader than just use the software that came with the camera (have a word with your friend) this will download all the photos for you can automatically create a new folder for them based on the date they were shot or you can create your own.

If you want to stick with Photoshop Album then, as you say, just get yourself a card reader.

Personally I use Downloader Pro from Breeze Systems which will read not only direct from a camera but also from a card in a card reader and also from a portable storage unit like the Flashtrax, X-Drive etc.

It also gives you much greater control over how you download your photos, naming protocols you use for folders and files and automatically can tell you if you have already downloaded a photo or not (handy if you have several hundred/thousand photos on a portable storage device but dont delete them all immediately after)