1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anywhere with x800pro's in stock?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Hawklord, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I'm getting itchy palms and may not be able to wait another 4-6 weeks for an X800 XT so does any one know if there are any pro version available (in stock). I know overclockers had the Connect 3d X800 Pro's in stock but their site now says 3 days+.
    My current system is xp2700+ , 1024mb pc2700, Radeon 9700pro. I usually play games at a res of 1280 x 1024 (when I can get away with it- usually with 1027 x 768 with newer games:() I assuming this card will give me a performance boost and allow me to play everything maxed out on aa and af?

I was also wandering if there are any major differences between the variuos makes of pro's (like sapphire,connect,msi etc) and whether any one card is the one to go for?

any thoughts? :suicide:

2. Dandle

Dandle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi
    www.overclock.co.uk has the connect 3d x800pro in stock. This card will greatly improve your system but yoour cpu and ram will definately be a bottle neck so you wont get the best out of the card. Alot of games that are out at the moment are very cpu dependant so i dont think you will be able to max out the settings in any of the new games that are out (e.g. Farcry etc) .Even P4EE and the athlon 64s dont get the most out of these cards yet.
    As for which one to get from what i have read the cards to go for are the ones with vivo as some of them can have the extra four pipes enabled with a bios flash. If it doesnt work you flash them back to stock most of the time.

~Dan~

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I'm aware that my cpu is going to be a bottle neck but I can't afford a new mobo, cpu and memory at the moment
    I'll purchase the g card and then get the other bits later when my cc isn't going critical. For the time being the g card alone should let me play the next generation of games fully maxed at a res of 1280 x 1024 I hope:)

I probably wont be fiddling with the g card I buy. I may over clock but modding to get 16 pipes will be a no no as I'm not likely to risk it.
    I take it I'm probably better off waiting for an XT then? :suicide:

4. Dandle

Dandle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To be honest if your going to upgrade your cpu/ram/mboard soon then get the XT but if your going to wait a while to do it you may as well get the pro as you will see no big boost by having an XT over a pro with the system you have(now noticable performance anyway). If your going to wait to do the upgrade put the extra money you would have spent on an XT towards a current card at the time. Or even do the upgrade sooner to the rest of the system.

I dont think your system will let you play everything maxed out at the moment as i said alot of new games are cpu intensive aswell as Gcard intensive.

Hope that helps

~Dan~

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I might just bite the bullet and build a complete new pc. Who iyo have the most competetive prices for top spec'd components at the moment. I'll be buying a new case, psu, mobo (socket 939 best?), cpu (64bit), 1024mb memory (ddr400 i presume) and a graphics card when I decide which to go for:)
    What would a fair price for my old system be? spec's:-

Xp2700+ (thoroughbread)
    2 x 512mb pc2700
    radeon 9700 pro
    abit nf7-s nforce 2 mobo
    DVD rom drive
    Cdr/rw drive
    Chieftec dragon case = 350 Watt psu.

thanks for your time :smashin:

6. Dandle

Dandle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would have a look around in forums at www.overclockers.co.uk. I tend to buy most of my bits from them too as they deliver the next day. I would ask the question on the forums as to what athlon64 to get as I know some of them have 512k of cache and other chips have 1mb, im not sure which ones are which though. And the boards you want to wait for are the Nforce 3 250 boards, only Gigabyte have one out at the moment I believe.

Dont know how much your old system would be worth to be honest.

A cheaper upgrade would be to buy a mobile 2500xp and some pc3200 ram then overclock the chip. Mine runs at 2600mhz at nearly standard voltage in an NF7S v2. (Wont be as quick as the athlon64s but alot quicker than what you have)

~Dan~

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    I reckon I'm in a similar position to you, Hawklord. I've similar specs (Athlon 2600, Abit A7N8X mobo, 768MB DDR RAM, GeForce 4 4200Ti) and the obvious upgrade is a new video card. I'm looking at the 9800 Pro (£150), but all the hype around the x800 XT (£350) is turning my head. I appreciate my CPU would be the bottleneck, but like Dandle says, even the current top-of-the-range CPUs can't exploit the x800s fully.

I will soon have money to burn and I do like future proofing - if I do a CPU upgrade in a year or so, I wouldn't have to upgrade my video card again. My question is, with my current system, would I not get any benefit from getting a x800 XT over a 9800 Pro?

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    You'd still get an improvement over your current card and the 9800pro if you are wanting to play games at higher resolutions and with every thing maxed out graphically. If your looking to increase your fps at lower resoultions your not likely to see too much improvement. This is at least the conclusion I've come to after trawling through reviews and forums (please tell me if I'm wrong pc guru's). I'm gonna wait a while longer till the xt's come out (my 9700pro is still holding it's own after 2 years:)) and see how they're priced when stocks are a plenty. I'm hoping they'll come down in price as your paying a premium at the moment because they're not readily available.
    If we waited till the next best thing was available we'd never upgrade as there is always something new around the corner.
    I'm looking to have a completely new rig by christmas so I'm holding out a while longer to see what new gear is available and build myself the best rig for <£1000 at that time. :devil:

9. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    You'll get more fps at lower resolutions .... specifically if you are putting on all the graphical options to get better image quality. With older cards and the latest games you tend to find you have to drop the resolution and turn off some of the graphics features to make it more playable - I would expect a 2600+ with say 512 to 1gig mem and an X800 to allow you to out the resolution back up and turn on all the graphics options whilst still allowing fluid gameplay.
    For people with the equiv of ti 4200 cards and above .... I would not recommend upgrading to a 9800pro unless its dx9 performance you are after - the jump is not that high comparatively speaking.
    For earlier cards the 9800's are a better jump in performance.
    For example - a ti4200 with tweaking is capable of 10 to 12 K scores on 3dmark 2001 se ... whislt a 9800 pushes into the 15K marks depending on the processors and whether theres over clocking.
    If you are simply looking for a dx9 stop gap then fine .... but interms of a massive increase in performance then 'personally' I'd look 68000 x800 leap when prices and supplies stablize.
    Those cards are pushing over 21k 3d mark 2001 se which is a very substantial increase ..... ofc at a hefty financial investment.
    If I had a 4200, I'd wait a few more months and put the price of a 9800pro in the bank and use it towards a x800/6800 when they come down abit.
    If I had a gf3 or less equiv card, I'd get a 9800pro and use that as a stop gap for the next 6 months or so and wait and see what happens in the market place.

10. sanjuro

sanjuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5