anywhere do ipad rehousing?

Lewie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty good Air 2 (128gb) but the rear housing if kna**ered
Is there anywhere that replaces the housing ?
Not sure ive asked in the right plae really

I'd have thought anywhere offering iPad repairs, and in particular battery replacements, can do it. It ultimately is amost identical to a battery replacement other than rather than chucking the battery you chuck the back cover.

The battery is glued in place but once heated does come out without too many problems but there is always going to be a risk that something gets damaged in the process.

Thanks - I've sourced a replacement back with everything attached so it's really a motherboard and screen transfer- it's just finding somewhere decient

Will be interested in how you get on with the screen removal.

The headphone socket has gone in my ipad, just £3 for a genuine replacement part, modular just plugs in so no soldering, BUT .........

Need to remove the front screen.

Plenty of Youtube videos, heat it up, pry it off, seems pretty simple. Even bought a pry tool and a bunch of plectrums.

But then I lost nerve and decided I'd pay a repair company. But most didn't want to go near it, and those that did wanted a lot more than I was expecting, about the same as replacing a broken screen.

I eventually asked why it was so expensive and they explained that it is very common to break the screen when trying to remove it. Not a problem usually as most of the time they are replacing a broken screen anyway. But if replacing the headphone socket they need to factor in the possibility of breaking the screen.

Cheers,

Nigel

Do I get 'dunce of the day' for initially thinking this thread was about selling/trading in iPads? :thumbsdow

Typically on any iPad the act of removing the screen usually breaks the glass front and some times the digitiser, it's then a pain once getting it back together finding out you get the dreaded double touch digitiser issue (false presses due to poor quality replacement and breaking any of the screening material)

Probably not worth the hassle and just put it in a nice case instead

Do I get 'dunce of the day' for initially thinking this thread was about selling/trading in iPads? :thumbsdow
You're thinking of rehoming , this is rehousing. :)

Do Apple not offer this or other refurb services from their stores?

I thought it was about finding new owners for troublesome, diificult ipads because their original owners couldn't cope with them.

Cheers,

Nigel

You're thinking of rehoming , this is rehousing. :)

Do Apple not offer this or other refurb services from their stores?

Isn't rehousing the same thing, moving to another house/place? Or does that only apply to humans? :confused:

Apple want about £280, although it's 128gb air 2- there are a lot of companies offering batter, speaker etc replacement for under £50 so I'm sure the screens must be able to be removed fairly reliably

Apple want about £280, although it's 128gb air 2- there are a lot of companies offering batter, speaker etc replacement for under £50 so I'm sure the screens must be able to be removed fairly reliably

Couldn't find anyone to do my iPad Air headphone socket for £50 would have it done otherwise.

Perhaps it is where I live and also that I didn't want to use one of the send it away for a week or two ones.

Cheers,

Nigel

Trying to find one where I didn't have to send it away. I use my iPad every day on the work commute so ideally I'd like to drop it off and pick it up later that day or the next morning.

There are a number that have a send away service - some includes postage, looks like this one doesn't so add £10-£15 extra.

Like this from there own FAQ

Q - Are your parts genuine?
A - We only use the highest quality grade A parts in all our repairs.

Errr - that'll be a NO then.

Cheers,

Nigel

Well had my iPad fixed today - 45 mins and they transplanted my screen and logic board onto a used housing I bought on eBay
Housing £35, their fee £35- pretty pleased- now the rear camera is working too(previously gave just a black screen)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom