• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anyway to "reboot" a dualshock?

Frasermack

Established Member
Not seen this before and hope someone else has come across it.

I have 2 PS3s, one in living room and one in study. I have a number of six axis but only the one dualshock which I carry through and link to whatever PS3 I'm going to be playing that night by the usual means of plug in the cable and press the PS button.

Got a problem now that the PS button doesn't work when there's a cable plugged into dualshock. It registers there's a cable inserted and charges just fine but button does nothing. If I unplug the cable the PS button works but just searches and searches for the PS3 in the living room as that was last one it was linked to. If I go into living room it is still linked and works it fine but how can I link it to PS in study if button doesn't work with cable plugged in?

Am I now stuck with a dualshock exclusively linked to the one PS or is there anyway to blank the dualshock link? Of course if I manage that and button still doesn't work with cable attached then I may well end up with a dualshock paperweight! :(

I know I can just use the six axis in study but it feels so light and flimsy after using the dualshock so long. Loath to buy another till I've exhausted all my free of charge options :D

Anyone help?

Frasermack

Established Member
Thanks mate, before I try it though. Anyone know if that'll cure the fault with PS button not working when cable in as well or is that more likely a "mechanical" internal fault and not a software glitch? Like I said, not wanting a paperweight of an unlinkable dualshock!

cols

Prominent Member
Sounds like the controller is paired with the other machine. The reset should fix it. Just link with a usb cable to the one you want to pair it with. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, it won't do any harm. :thumbsup:

PhilipPhilop

Established Member
Thanks mate, before I try it though. Anyone know if that'll cure the fault with PS button not working when cable in as well or is that more likely a "mechanical" internal fault and not a software glitch? Like I said, not wanting a paperweight of an unlinkable dualshock!

I don't think you'll know until you try it. On a possible positive note, if the PS button works when it's "not" plugged in using a USB cable, then the PS button works. This suggests that it's not a mechanical fault as such.

There's no guarantees, but I find it hard to believe the button itself is faulty if it works when wireless.

Is it under warranty? you could always take it back to the shop & get it replaced.

ljphil78

Established Member
have you tried a different usb cable, could be that with all that plugging and unplugging the one of the pins in the ends of the cable could have been damaged

Frasermack

Established Member
have you tried a different usb cable, could be that with all that plugging and unplugging the one of the pins in the ends of the cable could have been damaged

Yes, got 3 cables and it's the same each time. Button works, put cable in, button doesn't work. Unfortunately I bought in Dubai a year past in May so returning not an option. As I say, works fine on PS it knows it's paired to at the moment and charges just fine. Just can't pair to another. I agree with Kaden it seems strange it works when wireless so shouldn't not work just coz it's plugged in. Will try the reset shortly and see if that somehow "wakes up" the button when cable plugged in but suspect I'm going to end up with an unlinkable dualshock! Should probably leave well enough alone and keep it as the living room controller but curiosity is a dangerous thing :D

Will update shortly, thanks for the responses though guys. Appreciated.:smashin:

Frasermack

Established Member
Hooray!!! :thumbsup:

Gave it a poke, lights went out. Took it through to study, put cable in and button remembered it's job and linked it. Switched it off, through to living room, same result :smashin:

If only all my AV woes could be solved so easily! Thanks again guys.....

:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

#shorts SVS Prime Wireless Pro powered speakers - #review coming soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom