Anyway to disable onscreen 'stereo' on Sony IDTV?

castle

Standard Member
Reaction score
My TV is a the Sony NX100 and when I change channel the TV displays the channel name and the type of audio it is receiving for about 3 seconds.

This is normally fine, but on all the new channels which came on air (freeview) yesterday, the 'stereo' sign appears, disappears for a few seconds and then reappears, ad nauseum.

This may well be down to the broadcasters sending jittery signals which fool the TV in to thinking I've changed channel and need to be told what type of audio is being received again, but is there a way of disabling this feature? An option in the engineers menu perhaps which can stop this on-screen display?

Please say there is!!

Thanks

Mark

mark,

i am getting exactly the same thing on my dx100.
and yes it's bloody annoying.

seems like it's the broadcasters ... or is it sony idtv's???

hmmmm ...

dac

Not on my DX20 - could be sporadic playing about with signals

I saw this once - ages ago

On my previous 29" 4:3 Sony I used to get the same kind of thing with terrastial signal. It was usually during bad weather. I couldn't find a way to turn it off though!

I'm getting this exact problem on my DX100 - only on the new channels. And I have heard from another DX100 owner with the issue. It seems commonplace!

I don't think that the problem is to do with a poor signal, as my signal meter for all channels is at around 95% - and the problem is always present on the new channels, and doesn't exist on the originals.

The software I am running is 1.03 (loader 1.01). Does anyone have this with the latest software (1.05 I believe)?

Chippy

chippyaft,

i have software version 1.02 (can't remember the loader).
and yes it's only happening on the newly broadcasted channels.

also ... my dx100 switches to smart mode on those new channels instead of wide. annoying as hell ... not being able to see all the text scrolling along the bottom on sky sports news.

don't want to keep having to manually switch it to wide.

anyone having the same problems with mode switching?

also, how do u upgrade software anyway?

couldn't find it anywhere in the menu settings.

cheers,
dac

Use Auto Wide for 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10,30,31,40

Use Zoom 18,21
Use 14x9 UK History

Use 4x3 or Smart for 16,17,41,42,43

Slightly off topic, but as I started the thread and everyone reading this has a similar telly to mine, what the hell:

The channel sorting option in my nx100 menu is greyed-out and always has been, anyone else suffering this way or are all your dx100's OK? Most annoying when my pre-evening tv is dominated by channel 31 (CBeebies)

:(

Pretty sure my software is 1.02, but I too would be interested to learn how it gets upgraded. I think there is a y/n option to receive software updates through the ariel (broadcast transmissions?) but I havent a clue how this works or if Sony have ever piggy-backed a signal in this way.

Also, is there a website or database which states the changes made between these software revisions? 1.02 to 1.03 sounds liek a small fix, but anyone with a Tosh 220 will know the difference a firmwear upgrade can make.

martin,

can u associate viewing mode settings to indivdual channels? i didn't know that.

i thought it was a tv wide setting.

e.g. if i set auto format on the picture menu, it will enable auto format for all channels.

this is what i understand anyway.

from reading your post, i may have misunderstood, but i am assuming u can assign auto wide viewing mode for channels:

and then other viewing modes for the other channels.

i also noticed u use smart for 42 (sky news) and 43 (sky sports news) - which is what currently happens on my dx100.
the viewing mode is set to use auto switching ... so when i switch over to either of these channels it goes into smart mode.

why would u want to use smart for these channels? it cuts of the top and bottom ...

cheers,
dac

p.s. anyone know how to get rid of the "stereo" text/symbol that randomly keeps appearing on these new channels?

Not automatic - Auto works with all BBC ITV etc

UK History always does 14x9 so that mode looks ok

TMF always seems to do 16x9 letterbox hence zoom

I can get rid of press red on "The Hits" using the following 3 keys

-- 2 1

Hi Mate

Sorry to hijack your thread, but apart from the channel problem,how do you rate the set?
I just bought an NX100, its blocking my front door, as we are moving house in 5 days, just wanted an opinion before I swich it on etc.
i willbe using Sky+, so hopefully no problems.

The NX100 is a mostly a fine set.

Georgeous to behold and a stunning picture (compared to any other Widescreen set I've seen in friend's houses).

Mine came with near-perfect geometry straight out of the box (that's some box by the way) and it projects a pretty wide sound field for a standard nicam set.

I personally can't tell the difference between watching with 100hz and with 100hz DRC-MF. The 50hz DRC option is a waste of time due to flicker.

The Digital TV picture is very sharp, but I do get vague scrolling bars on Analogue, which isn't a great problem as I only watch it when I'm taping on Digital.

The only problem I have with the set is scrolling bars on AV inputs.

It was very noticable on all four AV inputs (especially the front one), but I have managed to cure this aboration completely with the DVD (Tosh 220) using a good quality scart cable in to AV2. I can still make them out occasionally on VHS (even with the High Qual scart cable) but when I used a standard un-shielded cable, I was ready to take the whole TV back as it was so annoyingly visible.

This makes me believe that the whole scrolling bars issue is down to poor qulity shielding within the TV rather than any inherent issue to do with 100hz tech. Sure, 100hz causes the bars to occur, but it's the shielding that affects whether you can see them or not.

I only watch VHS that I've taped off TV, so the occasional bar is acceptable to me.

If they were present on either Digital reception or my DVD's, that would not be acceptable.

In summation, I hope this has been of help and if you see the dreaded bars on an AV input, try upgrading your cable (individually shielded strands) before returning the set.

Cheers

Mark

I have a 32DX100 and I'm suffering from the flashing Stereo icon too. Damn irrating isn't it! It's definitely not poor reception as I have 95% signal strength across all channels and it only affects the new ones.

Software version is 1.03.

Has anyone contacted Sony Customer Services about this problem? If not, perhaps I call them and post their response.

I think I read that the software can be downloaded over the air, but how often Sony transmits updates and how you're supposed to know to switch your telly on at that time is a mystery to me!

Vaughn

I would certainly be grateful if you contacted Sony and asked the question.

If you do, please post their 'highly informed' response for our collective enjoyment!

;)

Mark

For Jimmy 2 Times

You do realise that you will get a better picture via internal tuner than Sky+.

Also which gets plugged into the amp (both have digital out)?!?!?!

This is Sony customer service's response to my enquiry....

"This is because the broadcasters are transmitting programmes in stereo sound and the television is telling you what is happening." ....really, I'd never have thought of that!

"It will flash up on screen occasionally due to the signal strength fluctuating. When the signal level drops, the set may not pick up stereo sound. However, when the signal level picks up again, the set receives stereo sound, and again tells you." ... er, I thought I said I had 95% signal strength on all channels.

"I have been informed that the broadcasters are dealing with this issue." ....ar, so it's Crown Castle's fault that it does this on the Sony NX100 & DX100's and not any other Sony model, or any other manufacturer's sets. That's ok then! :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting.

No great surprises in their enlightened comments, but you tried.

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom