• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anyway to check speed/type of connection to your WiFi Router?

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Have just upgraded my WiFi Router today (not connected it up yet)

Is there anyway on the iPad (apart from those 3 little curved bars) to actually tell anything about your connection?

If it's G or N connected for example and how fast a connection to your router you are getting?

Or is it just, It either works or not is all the info the iPad can give us?

I really want to see new router compares to the old one.

GrantM

Have just upgraded my WiFi Router today (not connected it up yet)

Is there anyway on the iPad (apart from those 3 little curved bars) to actually tell anything about your connection?

If it's G or N connected for example and how fast a connection to your router you are getting?

Or is it just, It either works or not is all the info the iPad can give us?

I really want to see new router compares to the old one.

You can get the speedtest.net app from the app store which I use. It's an iphone app but works fine. I dont think it shows if your on G or N tho.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
You can get the speedtest.net app from the app store which I use. It's an iphone app but works fine. I dont think it shows if your on G or N tho.

Thanks, yeah I got that, and works fine, and tells me the speed of data from the internet to my iPad.

It does not however tel me the speed of the connection of my iPad to the Router/Computer.

EG: I can't transfer files between my PC and iPad and see how long it takes to copy the file across.

mudshark

Distinguished Member
Wont the ipad connect at the best possible speed? So if its an N router it will connect as N?

You are right tho, would be nice to get confirmation.

D

Deleted member 27989

I can see it on my router how it connects ;-) But yes I don't know how on the iPad...But then again if you have an N router you should set it to N only...And then use another one on G only and give them different SSID...That was the router doesn't go down to the lowest common denominator....That is also how I see on my iPad which router (WAP to be exact) I am connected to....

Tempest

Distinguished Member
The WiFiAnalyzer (from the App Store) is good for checking signal strength and wireless network contention.

Thanks, will check that out.

And yes, I have set my Router to be "N" only and the iPad seems happy with that.

There were a couple of other settings I'd not seen before:

Channel Width, 20Mhz or 40Mhz or 20/40 auto.

I've set to Auto as not really sure what this is all about.

Also what did screw me up was:

Transmission rate

I fixed it to the very top setting of: MCS 15 - 130 [270]

Which worked ok in some areas, but make it unable to work in other areas (walls in the way) I changed this back to BEST (Automatic) and the problems went away.

I will get that app, as I also made some of the "Wind Surfer" DIY Antenna boosters, but I have no real way to see if they are making the signal stronger.

Turb007

I find WPA2 works better than WEP

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
Plenty there to test Download Speeds, but nothing to go from Router? I also want a similar test App for my iMac if possible too?

goatman

Done a search for and the app store come up with nothing for me can anyone link direct for me please.

Hmmm . . . well, a while back I downloaded an App called "WiFi Analyzer", which I use on iPhone and iPad. But I've just gone on App Store and can't find it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom