Anytime - thumbs up or thumbs down?

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WorldChampionsGoo

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Anytime has been with us for a little while now. So, after much debate here on the forum, here is a quick tester as to how we all view this new service.

Thumbs up? You like the service, the content, the idea of anytime etc!!

Thumbs down? A waste of time, too many problems, duff content!!

Let's see how things stand this early into the Anytime service lifespan ....

Morning All

Well it gets my vote. I am sure it will evolve like anything else. Personally, I wish I could turn off the Kids section as we have no young children here. so it would download other content instead.

I thought it only downloaded a sample of things you like to watch, or does it download the same for everyone, in which case I will shut up.

John

I cannot honestly say I would watch everything in there - but there are some programmes that I would definitely watch, and the lack of adverts and DOGs is a definite plus. :smashin: from me, after all it hasn't cost us anything.

I'm undecided one of my boxes has it switched off, the other has it left on.

There are things on Anytime I'd watch but then again some of it I haven't bothered with. Programmes without adverts and Dog's is a good idea but it needs to be tailored to what my missus and I want to watch not what someone else chooses.

Mine seems to have stopped adding programmes...................I only have 2 ( plus FYC) left on there now?????

Anyone else having problems?:confused:

just had a look and 'On The Waterfront' has appeared in HD :thumbsup:

Mine seems to have stopped adding programmes...................I only have 2 ( plus FYC) left on there now?????

Anyone else having problems?:confused:

You should switch it off anytime and then back on my next door neigbhour had the same problem and this cleared the same problem

It downloads programmes that one cannot watch if one does not have a subscription . (movies etc). What a waste!
It has no regard for the viewers intesests.
If one deletes a programme, by recording it and pressing the yellow button, it is gone but not for long! by the next day it downloaded again and you have pay the electricity cost of downloading.
It has some value but has a long way to go before it makes the HD monthly subscription value for money! Maybe when there is more HD and Anytime is improved I will will renew HD next year.

You should switch it off anytime and then back on my next door neigbhour had the same problem and this cleared the same problem

Not funny..........tried that and now I get a message saying there are no progs available......try again later........make sure I have a subscription!!!!

Tried Planner Rebuild but no joy:mad:

It's OK, but I'd rather have the space for my own choice in programmes.

I've watched nothing on it, my Wife watched one programme. Not great value for the disk space it occupies.

My main gripe, however, is since the anytime update we've been having a lot of issues with our HD box. We were lucky, before now we've had no real problems at all, and we were one of the first people to have HD.

I've had to "hard reset" the box more times than I can recall since anytime arrived. :thumbsdow

I am unable to decided due to my Sky HD box as yet not being updated. :(

My anytime hasn't been downloading half the things it should so after a nice call to Sky (should have come on here), was advised by them to switch anytime off and then back on, the three programmes I had disapeared but a few have slowly started downloading now.

Looking through mitchec1 advice is what Sky would offer and you'd save a phone call

I'll make a decision when I've seen more content

It's added something to the HD subscriber but still only a half way measure to proper VOD but I'd rather have Anytime than not especially if they can bring in third party HD broadcasters.

I have had to give it a thumbs down for the following reasons:

Since starting my box has crashed three times, had never crashed before anytime
Downloading movies, some of which I would watch, but can't as I don't subscribe to them, just annoys me as they shouldn't download stuff you can't watch.
Only other program I would watch (and probably will tomorrow) is Lost as it has no ads or dogs, other than that not interested.

I've only had it on my box for 2 days now, and its not got me anything I want:

Jarhead - seen it
Transamerica - don't want to see it!!
Paul Anka - Perma-tan crooner. Sure there's a W missing
Scooby Doo - Never watched a Children's channel since having Sky!

It will be good if its tailored to the viewing habits you've already got. For instance, if you like CSI, recording that NCIS or Cold Case.

I can see the idea's good, but if it keeps getting me nonsense, it'll be getting switched off.

I'd also be wary of relying on it recording stuff I'm actually after - i.e. Lost. So I'll need to keep that on my planner.

Waste of space as far as I am concerned unless you have movie subscriptions, like drugged up pop stars reading poetry or like cartoons.

I am sure it will get better in the years ahead but mine is staying firmly off until its confirmed all the bugs have been ironed out. Once all bugs have been ironed out and they get into a set download pattern (i.e overnight like Sky said it would be and not all times of the day or night) then I will switch it back on and try it again.

From a technical perspective, it would be a thumbs up from me.:smashin: It could be potentially useful
But content wise so far, it's a very big thumbs down :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

I was not expecting much but it turns out to be a pretty useful free new service.

Easy to check out every day. The PIP window makes it simple to look and see if you fancy watching anything.

Much of the content I do not like but there have been several things worth giving a try that I would almost certainly not have noticed otherwise. Whatever folk say most people have no chance of vetting what is on dozens of channels every day unless they have nothing else to do but study the EPG. This service is limited and someone elses choice but it clearly benefits the subscriber by giving, in effect, a free new highlights channel.

The no adverts, no on screen graphics and often higher bit rate are all major plusses. Just to watch Lost sans adverts and at a better quality than on Sky Onc HD has made it worthwhile for me.

It could - and should - improve. More premier previews would be good. Downloads of all the top HD shows that often get bit rate starved at present.
Some non Sky deals to bring HD versions of shows from channels that have rights to HD versions of shows that the channel cannot afford to show in HD. All seem possible - although the limited space is always going to be an issue with how much we can get.

Within the limitations I am impressed and find it hard to understand why so many are so opposed. It is easy to switch off. Costs nowt. And provides an added option that brings a new Sky HD experience to every day (checking the planner to see what surprises may await).

I can only see this as a positive step that is win/win. Sky get to promote its lesser watched shows. Viewers get a new service IF they choose to want it.

But it really comes into its own if you have HD and access to all channels (as we do) and I can see why it would be frustrating otherwise.

Sky need to address that by offering non movie subscribers cheap access to any of the movies they might want to watch / or a deal via Anytime on upgrades to movie subscriptions.

I quite like it (had a few things on there I wanted to watch) but is it really making the Sky box make that incredible row from its fan? I think it may also have caused some problems when watching a recorded program while recording 2 HD programs... disk contention?

I think a lot of people are upset that the space cannot be used for our own use instead of a whole load of crap ,it wouldnt be so bad if it was material that was not available anywhere else ,its really sky imposing material on to us and using our electricity to make us watch what they want us to watch ,its not if you have any benefits of switching it off maybe save some electricity but thats about it ,this is just another another scheme thats been imposed on to us , surely if sky subscribers where asked would they like the extra space for there own use or have a load of material they dont want to watch or can not watch i know what i would prefer

I have to say, if you turn it off, you should get that disk space back, but even so, noone was told they'd get 300Gig when they ordered the machine so I don't think it's much of a scam.

And I turned it off but my box still sounds like an xbox 360 in a hurricane. What's going on? It never used to be anything like this noisy.

And I turned it off but my box still sounds like an xbox 360 in a hurricane. What's going on? It never used to be anything like this noisy.

I suspect turning it off probably just hides the menu. It might still 'download' and record in the background regardless - posssibly lazy programming (heck the whole Sky+ system is lazy compared to MCE or TiVo or ReplayTV). It could also be that Sky are hoping you turn it back on, so will be able to refresh the content quickly.

It warns you it will take a couple of days to repopulate if you turn it off.

This is crazy. I can hear it in the next room. Perhaps the fan is clogged. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to clean out the fans? I think there's one on the bottom and one at the right/rear? I guess a hoover is going to be quicker & easier than getting the screwdriver out...

ive give it :smashin: but not much to watch on it, iv only watched loa not going to turn it off as it is free and can improve.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom