Anytime. Praise where praise is due

loz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, OK, I know I have been one of the most negative towards wasteoftime, sorry, Anytime.

I also know I (with others) have been a regular complainer about them using Anytime as a delivery vehicle for HD Movie Premiers, because it has been such a hit and miss affair.

However, sat down tonight to watch a film and I am spoilt for choice with
Da Vinci Code, Slither, Ice Age 2, and Terminator all appearing in the last couple of days. :thumbsup:

But, least you think I have completely changed my tune, I never got Crank. :thumbsdow.
So I would still prefer they broadcast them on the movie channels so I get guaranteed delivery

The point is well made, when Anytime works it's a perfectly good service but only one failure to deliver means a subscriber doesn't get to see a HD movie for a month or so while others paying the same or less can.

There should be a way to request a movie if it doesn't download automatically!

I had a bit of a marathon today and watched Ice Age, Slither then Crank (defffinatley the best HD quality Ive seen yet on Crank)
Worth this months HD subs alone IMO
I'll probably watch Davici tommorow night, No Terminator tho':(

I thought Crank was good picture but I have seen better where as Children of Men is the best I have seen and that includes blu-ray and HD DVD's I own.
I watch one film with great picture and i get fussy starting to compare everything to that.

I had a bit of a marathon today and watched Ice Age, Slither then Crank (defffinatley the best HD quality Ive seen yet on Crank)
Worth this months HD subs alone IMO
I'll probably watch Davici tommorow night, No Terminator tho':(

We watched Ice Age tonight and I thought it looked fantastic, so did the kids. I then sat down to watch Da Dinci but it had gone!!!!

I did get Crank but watched that in the week, so I watched Firewall I taped a week or so ago instead. Hit and miss to whats on there though, I think the kids watch to much as there was to many kids programs :eek:

I thought Crank was good picture but I have seen better where as Children of Men is the best I have seen and that includes blu-ray and HD DVD's I own.
I watch one film with great picture and i get fussy starting to compare everything to that.

I was really looking forward to Children of Men.

Then my box went mad and removed all of my Anytime before I got to watch it. :(

I was really looking forward to Children of Men.

Then my box went mad and removed all of my Anytime before I got to watch it. :(

It just never showed up on mine. I had to record the SD version *shudder*

I have to admit some of the films on anytime have been good and consider myself one of the lucky one's no box crashing, blue screens & most of the films delivered.

As far as I'm concerned it's a start. Sky has some way to go but when it works it ain't bad.

Hillary if your reading the foums like you said in the podcast listen carefully "Sort out your delivery and genre's (your words not mine) I don't have kids and would like to be able to choose what sort of content I get. Also Enable the e-sata"

People may then be happier

Just watching Great White Shark uncaged which was recorded by anytime and the sharks look amazing in HD.

I quite like anytime though i think its the loosest use of the term video on demand when you compare it to the pc anytime which lets you download from a large selection of movies. Give that youve already got the best PVR going all sky are doing with anyting is guessing what you want to watch and remembering to press the record button for you.
Also with the hd service they re counting on the fact that at the moment we would all sit and watch paint dry in hd as long as it had a high enough bit rate.:rotfl:

I think you meant beaver baiting !

Poor old Sky. One of the few threads giving them praise and we take it into the realms of lunacy.

Still, good to have a larf, innit.

Keeep taking the pills.

There should be a way to request a movie if it doesn't download automatically!

There is a kind of workaround i have found to force anytime to always keep you updated with the latest content.

Using this method i have got some of the latest movies including ice age, slither, da vinci and Terminator all at the same time.

Simply copy the stuff you dont want over to your planner then delete it. do this as many times as you need to delete things down to an absolute minimum with anytime.

It works because the less you have on anytime the more anytime can get filled up with the latest conent as there is space available for the new stuff.
I would personaly do this every 3 - 5 days and its part of my EPG habbits now checking/deleting etc.

Also i have found since deleting da vinci code it came back which was nice to know in case i had deleted it by accident. :smashin:

Anytime is good but it does have its weak points.

I agree that all these movies on Anytime in HD is terrific. But there is a danger that Sky are using the service as a substitute HD channel rather than an extra one.

Standoff, one of the few HD dramas on Sky One at present, has been pulled after last week and (according to the Anytime blurb) will continue on Sky Three only.

This means we will only get it in HD if Sky download it every week via Anytime. With all the problems this will create if your Anytime misfires over the next 10 weeks. Not tomention the inability to record in HD if you go away for a fortnight

The frustration of losing a series episode is going to be worse than a movie which is bound to get lots of repeats eventually.

So if this is a new Sky trend then it is devaluing the £10 HD sub if we are effectively losing things to the make do and mend Anytime solution.

For the record, my way of getting a pretty regular supply of Anytime programmes (I have missed little recently) is to put the box on the Sky Movies 1 HD channel overnight. The downtime of this channel is used for Anytime downloads in the early hours and being left on there does seem to help with a regular supply.

Anyone recommend anything good to watch on anytime as I plan to sit in tonight in front of the box,I watched the documentry on Mars on NAT GEO HD
last week and was interesting...I dont have terminator,but have Da vinci code and Slither...Anyone watch Slither is it any good...I take it Da Vinci Code is rubbish...

Anyone watch Slither is it any good...I take it Da Vinci Code is rubbish...

Treat it as a 21st century remake of a 1950's scifi "B" movie and you'll enjoy it:)

As for Da Vinci, well hype can lead you to expect a lot more than there is.

I agree that all these movies on Anytime in HD is terrific. But there is a danger that Sky are using the service as a substitute HD channel rather than an extra one.

I agree but nowe i have this theory that if they made more HD channels, say Movies HD3 & HD4 then SD subscribers would only complain again and sky would have to give SD subscribers those mirrored SD3 SD4 channels because they don't believe in upsetting the majority and then they would be worse off.

By using the anytime service they can give us HD movies without the hassle from SD viewers moaning.

Ideally the SD boxes should have the HD channels locked out so that SD viewers dont actually see what channels we get!

That way it will stop the moaning from SD viewers and then sky can concentrate on providing the extra HD channels to us we pay.

Ideally the SD boxes should have the HD channels locked out so that SD viewers dont actually see what channels we get!

That way it will stop the moaning from SD viewers and then sky can concentrate on providing the extra HD channels to us we pay.

What a good idea! That means its highly unlikely to be adopted by Sky.

Maybe somebody in the techie know could explain whether it could be achieved via software update or not.
Could we in fact have a seperate entity entirely from SD with a glorious EPG in HD and seperate listings from SD & HD boxes?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom