Anytime Keep Button

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by sizedoesmatter, Feb 9, 2009.

?
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. sizedoesmatter

sizedoesmatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As the title says, do we want one. I certainly do. The Bond movies have made the Record & xfer to the planner a tricky consideration.

I would rather be able to "keep" an item in the anytime section. They've partitioned the HD but anytime stuff can only be kept if moved. I would rather fill up the Anytime section with these movies & if I can't "download" as much so be it, I'll make that executive decision myself based on what they say will be available.

2. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    No, because then there wouldn't be space for any new Anytime content (say if next month was 'Star Wars' season for instance - unlikely as it is!). The answer to the disk space problem is to upgrade the drive - simple.

3. sizedoesmatter

sizedoesmatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    But if they gave us the percentage taken bar, we can manage this just like the normal planner. Now they list the anytime content that is going to be available on the web I could choose & say, OK I'll free up some space for a star wars season-Ep 4 to 6 anyway ! I certainly wouldn't want 1-3 :nono:

4. Sephiro

Sephiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I can't say that I personally have an issue with the current transfer to planner set up. If lack of space is an issue then upgrading the harddisk is an option but the problem as I see it is that you will still eventually run out of space and have to make the decision to delete something anyway.

Messing with the anytime setup just makes things more complex as I'm assuming that if you were keeping something in the anytime section then you'd still want new content to be downloaded over the other content you didn't want to keep, which would mean that the expiry dates would need to be adjusted. The next problem would be that if you kept a lot of your anytime content then you'd get to the stage where there's only space for one or two anytime programs/films to rotate but with multiple programs being downloaded each day then people would start moaning that they ended up with the two anytime programs they didn't want that day instead of the one they did etc.

The final reason I said no is the fact that I have no faith in Sky to implement the above without it being badly bug ridden to the point that your box would crash and your anytime section (and probably the normal planner) would get wiped on a weekly basis ;)

5. iNspectorgadJet

iNspectorgadJet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +860
    Hitting record from Anytime is essentially a keep button. If you have space issues...get a bigger drive or find a way to record the HD content to another place.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    There may be rights issues involved with PUSH VOD enforcing an auto delete, the ability to move to the planner getting around the fine print of the contract, perhaps:)

7. mudstuff

mudstuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think you're missing the whole point of anytime - it's a range of content selected and available for a certain time and is then updated. Granted, maybe they have misinderstood the point with a name such as anytime but the point is sky hd is a "time-shift" device not an archive as that would not please the studios etc and is the very reason this content is only allowed for a limited time and why you can only get a certain amount of content on "your side" of the HD box. The solution is indeed upgrading the HDD in order to keep more content by transferring it over to your then significantly larger partition.