• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anytime into Planner (HD space)

dspa1

If you select to move an anytime movie to your planner (so you can keep it till you watch it), does that use your area of the HD or still keep it on the Anytime area?

Also, Im sure I read somewhere, that the movies/programs use up more space on Anytime than on standard planner, does this mean that the quality is better?

TaylorMUK

If you select to move an anytime movie to your planner (so you can keep it till you watch it), does that use your area of the HD or still keep it on the Anytime area?

I definitely uses space in your part of the planner. I suspect that the space is initially allocated and 'lazy copied' from Anytime to your planner.

Interestingly though if you subsequently delete it from the your planner it also gets removed from Anytime - but some people have reported things being reloaded back into Anytime. This would suggest that there's only actually one version on disk but space is reserved in both places

dspa1

I definitely uses space in your part of the planner. I suspect that the space is initially allocated and 'lazy copied' from Anytime to your planner.

Interestingly though if you subsequently delete it from the your planner it also gets removed from Anytime - but some people have reported things being reloaded back into Anytime. This would suggest that there's only actually one version on disk but space is reserved in both places

Yeah ive had things re-appear in Anytime.... but I dont understand
if my planner has only 1 item in it, then I get an anytime program, I dont see space increase or decrease?

TaylorMUK

Yeah ive had things re-appear in Anytime.... but I dont understand if my planner has only 1 item in it, then I get an anytime program, I dont see space increase or decrease?

I'm talking about when you press 'Record' on an item in Anytime to save it into your planner. I've copied things from Anytime into my planner. They definitely use a percentage of the available percentage on the top of the planner - I assume that this means it's using my space.

I suspect that it is not used instantly but just marked as used with the actual copy happening at a more leisurely pace. Surely it must physically copy to your planner because when the Anytime version 'expires' there would be a lot of upset people if it was also removed from your planner when you'd explicitly asked for it to be saved.

Likewise, I suspect that Sky would like an ordered turnover of stuff on Anytime and therefore wouldn't want anyone to block future downloads by having stuff 'saved' in their private planner eventually preventing new stuff appearing in Anytime because Skys disk space was full.

TCM2007

Novice Member
It appears to use space in your planner, but that may just be a bug in the % free indicator. I certainly doesn't copy the file from one partition to the other, at least not immediately. Assuming its divided up using partitions that is.

Doesn't it disappear form the Anytime list when you hit R, so expiring is not a risk?

dspa1

Doesn't it disappear form the Anytime list when you hit R, so expiring is not a risk?

Yes I think thats the reason why you can press hit "R", so the programme does not expire.

It just seems a little odd, that once you do, it takes up the space from your own planner, even though it was sent via Anytime. I guess it does mean that when you hit the "R" button, it frees up more space in the Anytime area ready for more anytime programmes.

pete318

Standard Member
Makes perfect sense to me. Why would it need to copy it anywhere? The anytime 'area' doesn't have to be a physical partition. The Sky+ has a filesystem. How I see it working is as follows:

It looks at the usable capacity of the drive and reserves the anytime area. The rest is marked 'user' area and calculates the percentage. Anything you choose to record takes up 'user' space and the percentage goes down. Where it is on the drive doesn't matter. The user marked stuff counts as used space.

When you mark an anytime program to be kept. It will deduct that usable amount of space from your user area and mark it as both an anytime and a user program. Once it expires on anytime it becomes only a user program. The file contents need not be moved or changed. Just the file information (whether it is anytime and should expire or user and not expire). The amount available to anytime therefore hasn't changed and future anytime recordings are not affected.

If that makes sense.

TaylorMUK

I suppose it depends on how simple the model is that Sky have implemented. It certainly would be more efficient never to move anything but it would be at the expense of increasing the complexity of the algorithm and the possibility of introducing bugs.

It looks at the usable capacity of the drive and reserves the anytime area. The rest is marked 'user' area and calculates the percentage.

The size of the 'anytime area' must be specified somewhere. Now if that was a variable, just imagine what could be done if you could alter the value. Set the anytime area to 0 maybe.

Smurkenstein

Makes perfect sense to me. Why would it need to copy it anywhere? The anytime 'area' doesn't have to be a physical partition. The Sky+ has a filesystem. How I see it working is as follows:

Very odd. Doesnt each partition have its own separate file allocation table?...ahh I get it...your saying the drive isnt partitioned at all...

TCM2007

Novice Member
People have pulled the drives and put them in PCs - although the content is encrypted the partioning should be visible. Anyone know?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom