Anytime, anyplace, anywhere...? Err, no ta.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by MisterEz, Apr 25, 2007.

1. MisterEz

MisterEz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Saw on here yesterday people talking about getting the Anytime update on their PVR3s, so checked mine as soon as I got home yesterday... yep, it was there. Immediately checked that it hadn't screwed my planner and was happy to find I'd been one of the lucky ones, everything was still there...

So, had a look at the Anytime listings - amongst a few others I had...
    Scooby Doo
    Sponge Bob Squarepants
    Biog of Johnny cash
    Gene Simmons Family Biog
    Couple of films (can't remember what)
    Soccer Am
    Weeds
    Ross Kemp on Gangs

Went to play the first one - "Please call .... to upgrade your subscription"
    Went to play the second - "Please call ... to upgrade your subscription"
    Went to play the third - "Please call ... to upgrade your subscription"

(You can probably see where this is going)

Yep - went to play the films - "Please call ... to upgrade your subscription"

So, I had a choice between Soccer Am (no thanks), Weeds (not interested), or Ross Kemp on Gangs (are you serious?)...

What's the point in filling up my disk with crap that I can't even watch??
    I can see what's in the planner every day for the channels I don't subscribe to, and am quite capable of deciding whether I'm missing out - do Sky really think I'm going to change my subscription just to view the stuff they think I should be watching?

I thought the whole point of Anytime was to showcase the best of all the available channels - if you see something you like on a channel that you don't currently subscribe to, you're then likely to consider upgrading... the way it's set up at the moment is totally pointless.

Next step - into the service menu & turned it off.

2. Platelet

Platelet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    No the point is to rub your nose in what you can't watch, in the hope that you'll upgrade. Think of it as one big advert

3. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

That you don't get to see because you don't subscribe. :suicide:

It would make more sense to me if they allowed you to view the first 5 - 10 mins before putting the "Please call .... to upgrade your subscription" message on the screen. :rolleyes:

At least then you might be temtpted and it would also encourage Sky to put decent content on there rather than just filling your HDD up with rubbish and hoping that you will watch it. :cool:

4. MisterEz

MisterEz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yeah, that's the only reason I can come up with too - but that's my point though, the TV guide listings are full of programs that I can't watch as I don't subscribe to the particular channel... I'm more than capable of checking this & deciding if I want to upgrade my subscription, I don't really need another section of programs that I can't watch to try and convince me.

Why not make everything in the Anytime section free-to-air? Much better way to advertise & would probably generate extra subscriptions for Sky.

5. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Can someone explain this "anytime" to me please? Is it downloading all the time or does it just download when you select a program? Last thing I want is for Sky to be using my broadband usage allowance downloading in the background.

6. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    It downloads through the Sat dish during the night (usually) so you don't need to worry about your broadband connection. :thumbsup:

They just send you a selection of progs and put it on thier reserved part of your hard drive. :spam:

You can turn it off if you want to in the serices menu. :smashin:

7. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for the info. I should have been a bit more specific about my concern about broadband usage - it's not that it would affect my speed, it's more that I'm on a capped, unshaped connection (ZEN). My allowance is 20gb per month and I don't want to waste it by Sky downloading loads of things I've got no interest in. I noticed the option to switch it off and I've taken care of that now.

Cheers.