Anything you would change?

Evokazz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After many days messing with my system trying to get a nice sound from it, and finally getting my replacement sub (not pictured - new one is QA7070Si but in same position). I decided to give Audyssey one last try (previous settings were not ear pleasing). Now not sure whats changed in Audyssey, but the system while not sounding perfect, sounds a lot better this time round. I can't hear the subwoofer hardly when watching movies etc, but I have also read a good setup the sub blends into all the sounds, is this right? Also wondering if Audyssey has set my sub too low? but if it's correct then I'm happy, the Crossover on the sub is set to AV, and the Level on the sub is at 55%

Here's the layout of the room, it's a fairly small room, measuring 4 meters x 4 meters.

mHJ50R8.jpg

19mQIIE.jpg

As advised speakers all in correct positions, I have since taking these pictures put some Auralex Mopads under the center speaker, to tilt up upwards slightly.

Now here are the key settings Audyssey has given me, is there anything here you would change? So far all I have changed is the Dynamic Volume to Heavy, as it's really annoying when dialogue jumps up and down all over.

d7cHjjS.jpg

Distance on the sub seems a little high, but that's what Audyssey gave me, possibly countering the small room size?

CaLIRjP.jpg

Most of this seems ok to me (I'm no expert) but should the sub really be so low?

HaQykZY.jpg

Many people have said to switch ALL crossovers to 80hz, but this is what Audyssey has given me, look ok? or changes needed?

FJhKRuH.jpg

ZCdAiDC.jpg

I know every room is different, but given the 4x4 meter room size, and settings above, can anything be tweaked further? especially the sub and crossovers/levels etc

Not sure what the max setting on the amp is for speaker gain but the gain on the back of the amp looks like it is set too high which is meaning the amp is trying to compensate by turning it down. Hence I would put the gain on the sub to around 40% or so and rerun Audessey to see what level it puts the sub then. The rest of the setting look OK although you could try the crossover at 80Hz for all speakers to see if it improves things. It would take a bit more of the load of the speakers which could clear up the mids etc.
The distance on the sub is probably fine since this can often be wrong due to the way the sub interacts with the room etc.
I am not a fan of dynamic volume etc. as prefer to listen to the soundtrack as it is intended to be heard but each to there own on that one. If you prefer it on heavy then leave it.

By gain do you mean Level? I have 2 dials on the sub, one is crossover, and other is level, which is at around 55%.

The Phase switch is at 0, is that good?

By gain do you mean Level? I have 2 dials on the sub, one is crossover, and other is level, which is at around 55%.

The Phase switch is at 0, is that good?
Turn the level control down to arround 30-40%, cross over to maximum for the sub and re-run Audyssey. The reading for the sub should be well within the +12 to -12db range. Agree with PSM1 and set the cross over on all speakers to 80Hz.

Phase should be 0. Also make sure you use all the measuring points available to you, the main listening point must be your first reading taken.

As above turn level on back of sub down.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom