Anything that can be done about layer changes w/ the Pion DV59-AVi?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MarcoBiscotti, Oct 20, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Layer Change on this machine is pathetic!

The image freezes for almost an entire second and really takes you out of the film... It's ridiculous considering that even the base level entry range budget players offered nowadays handle layer changes better.

Is there any firmware or software upgrades that can be obtained or anything that can be done at all to correct this and make the transition in layer change less noticeable with this machine, or is that just the way it is?

It's really dissapointing.

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know?

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I don't know of anything simple to improve layer change on players.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about not simple than? :)

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well most that don't suffer layer changes have a different type of drive & buffering system for the data. How easy that is to remedy yourself at home I wouldn't know, but not at all easy I'd guess. :)

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,852
    I should say there's absolutely nothing you can do except use a different player, or ignore the phenomenon. Sorry.

7. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marco,

I can't help at all - but would like to commiserate with you.

I've got a Sony DVP NS930V - as an upgrade to a £60 Toshiba - and I never even knew what all this 'layer change' issue was - until I got the Sony!

I actually have to warn people about it - and when it's happening - people seem to get really irked - like it can sometimes seem as though the movie's jumped scenes - whereas we know it was just the layer transition.

And then sometimes I show the DVD cover to anyone that thinks it's a 'fault' - to show that 'Layer transition may trigger a slight pause'.

HUH!! :mad: Is all one can say.

However - given how sound and picture output are so good - I upgraded in order to have progressive scan output - on balance I don't feel I can justify the cost of an upgrade, on the basis of that phenomenon alone.

I'm with you dude.

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, so frustrating!

I don't understand how these companies can legitemately release a high-end product with such flaws?

Would it be so difficult to incorporate a better buffering drive? Afterall the machine only costs about a thousand dollars more than 99% of the DVD players on the market...

:suicide:

Luckily for me, there's no apparent "skip" effect. Just a 1.5 second freeze frame that registers. The only other time I'd experienced this was on my first generation Playstation 2. The first week of release when I went to insert one of the first DVD's I'd ever bought into the machine. Surely one would assume a flagship player released 6 years later would correct this glitch, huh?

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,852
    Well mastered discs place the layer change at a point where it's insignificant.

The new "Bewitched" R1 (no comments on the film here please) places it in a natural fade to black and you'd never know it was there.

The recently released "Abba The Movie" (PAL version) (again - no comments on the film please) places it right in the middle of a song. Apalling mastering.

10. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Yep, watched this myself yesterday and couldn't believe where they put the layer change - d'oh! Still, it didn't distract me too much from Agnetha's tight trousers. :smashin:

Steve