Question Anything out there to compete with Arcam SR250

Your list does not include a subwoofer. The OP's main concern is the preservation of the LFE channel to the subwoofer. Without a subwoofer you cannot have the LFE, it is encoded at -10dB, so may not be sent to the stereo speakers. Were that to be permitted (it is of course forbidden by the specification), it would result in blown speakers and amplifier clipping, which would be expensive.

There are lots of stereo systems that can handle what you want - it's the OP's mandatory LFE preservation requirement that throws a spanner in the works. Just look for a box that has all the sources you want, the performance you want, and meets your unspecified budget. You can even buy a TV that does everything you want, and if it's a high end TV, will do so with decent performance too.
The NAD M10 seems to fit alot of what I am after but it only has one hdmi input.

So could I attach my sheild to the panasonic OLED and use eARC to deal with the sound?

I have a budget of up to £3k or so.

The NAD M10 seems to fit alot of what I am after but it only has one hdmi input.

So could I attach my sheild to the panasonic OLED and use eARC to deal with the sound?

I have a budget of up to £3k or so.
You’d be better off with the bigger Nad M33 with that sort of budget, with the added hdmi module

You’d be better off with the bigger Nad M33 with that sort of budget, with the added hdmi module
yeah its almost perfect but no room correction which is a must in that room.

if only there were a pre amp with multiple hdmi inputs and the connectivity of the m10 I would be set.

whoops I was looking at the M32... M33 looks good but its gonna be out of my budget.

Would using something like a mindsp SHD as a preamp work? I could run audio from the shield and video direct from the shield to the tv...

So linking up a £400 avr with a £4.5k integrated amp isn’t great practice?
Assuming the £400 AVR has pre-outs and the £4.5K integrated amp has a home theatre mode input, it will work fine - all the functionality is present. You get the performance of the £400 AVR, except that you've replaced its L&R power amplification with that of the £4.5K integrated amplifier. If you don't care about the AV performance and you are seriously strapped for cash for AV equipment, it's a way to add AV sound sources to a stereo system.

whoops I was looking at the M32... M33 looks good but its gonna be out of my budget.

Would using something like a mindsp SHD as a preamp work? I could run audio from the shield and video direct from the shield to the tv...
Do have a large subwoofer and a requirement to be able to listen to the LFE soundtrack through it? So far, you have not indicated either.

The SHD adds room correction to non-HDMI inputs. It is of no assistance to solving the problem that thread is about - getting the LFE to a subwoofer when using a stereo system.

Do have a large subwoofer and a requirement to be able to listen to the LFE soundtrack through it? So far, you have not indicated either.

The SHD adds room correction to non-HDMI inputs. It is of no assistance to solving the problem that thread is about - getting the LFE to a subwoofer when using a stereo system.
apologies I am derailing the ops thread.

will start my own.

Also intrigued how you’re getting on with this, or has it been out on hold all things considered?

Carpet is being laid in the front room as we speak :clap: but there's been a slight delay in the STR Pre amp as it's being shipped from Canada and with all this virus stuff going about, they're being extra extra cautious. Hope to have it either late next week or week after. Once that arrives, I'll be able to give a proper verdict on its operation and ultimately, does it work! I'm sure it will. :thumbsup:

I promise I will give you guys a full update when everything is hooked up and tested. I have very high hopes for this.
I took a load of room measurements too before the carpet was installed so I'll take load more to see the results of the difference between wood floor Vs carpet.

Also, after I've installed the new Purifi power amps etc, I'll take further measurements to see if there is any difference in that regard. I hope for better woofer control. I'll be using a minidsp 2x4HD in front of the anthem to get the subs playing well together before I unleash ARC via the anthem.

An exciting project indeed. :thumbsup:

Update:

Still not received my STR Pre-amp. Due to this Coronavirus fiasco, everything has been delayed.

I'm assured I'll receive it either end of this week or some point next week.

Fingers crossed .....

What about the Marantz? Or are you keeping the Oppo?

What about the Marantz? Or are you keeping the Oppo?

Hi Fergal.

I've decided to keep the OPPO as it's such a versatile unit. It will play all disc media, act as a media hub, is a ROON endpoint and will downmix all audio from whatever I throw at it.
It runs super silent, is energy efficient and doesn't contain any unnecessary amps that I won't be using.

I'll be using a HD Fury Diva to switch my HDMI's and the output if that will go into the HDMI IN of the OPPO. The HD Fury is, again, a very versatile unit and can be hidden away while it does it's thing.

I'm going to take the opportunity to really tidy things up behind my cabinet and I've pre-installed a load of cable management at the rear of the cabinet so, when the preamp comes, I can take my time and route all interconnects in a neat and organised way whilst keeping all power cables well away from any audio cable.

I broke my arm quite badly two weeks ago so I have an audio friend who's gonna come help me with it all.
I'll need it as my arm is wrecked! :(

What do you think Fergal?

Hi Fergal.

I've decided to keep the OPPO as it's such a versatile unit. It will play all disc media, act as a media hub, is a ROON endpoint and will downmix all audio from whatever I throw at it.
It runs super silent, is energy efficient and doesn't contain any unnecessary amps that I won't be using.

I'll be using a HD Fury Diva to switch my HDMI's and the output if that will go into the HDMI IN of the OPPO. The HD Fury is, again, a very versatile unit and can be hidden away while it does it's thing.

I'm going to take the opportunity to really tidy things up behind my cabinet and I've pre-installed a load of cable management at the rear of the cabinet so, when the preamp comes, I can take my time and route all interconnects in a neat and organised way whilst keeping all power cables well away from any audio cable.

I broke my arm quite badly two weeks ago so I have an audio friend who's gonna come help me with it all.
I'll need it as my arm is wrecked! :(

What do you think Fergal?
Sounds good to me pal!

Sorry to hear you broke your arm, how you’re on the mend.

I bought a hd fury vertex in the Xmas sales and couldn’t work out what the difference between the two were (the diva was more expensive!)

Interested to see how you get on with the oppo as it’s something I’m interested in trying if only I could get hold of an oppo that doesn’t cost £1k+!

Seems your Arcam’s days are numbered!

So are you going to use a harmony to get the oppo on and in ‘hdmi in’ mode?

Sounds good to me pal!

Sorry to hear you broke your arm, how you’re on the mend.

I bought a hd fury vertex in the Xmas sales and couldn’t work out what the difference between the two were (the diva was more expensive!)

Interested to see how you get on with the oppo as it’s something I’m interested in trying if only I could get hold of an oppo that doesn’t cost £1k+!

Seems your Arcam’s days are numbered!

Yeah, it was a bad break mate. Right at the elbow too which means my arm will never full extend ever again. Lots of physio needed but can't go for physio as that department is closed due to Coronavirus.
Oh well, that's life, at least I'm alive and, it's my left arm and I'm right handed so that's a lucky stroke.

I looked at the Vertex too and it seemed very similar but there was a feature on the Diva that caught my eye (can't remember now) so I went for that.
Do you find it easy to use? I know it has an IR blaster output (which came with it) so the harmony will sort that out.

Yes, I intend to use the harmony to control the hdmi IN on the OPPO which, in turn, will control the relevant device. A touch overly complicated as Rambles suggested and was correct in saying but I didn't want to buy another amplifier which won't be used as one.

I'll post a full report as I promised but like I said, the STR is delaying everything at the minute.

I can't wait to ditch the Arcam (no offence to Arcam users). :)

I bought a minidsp 2x4HD to align my subs before the STR further refines it.

It works really well but you need knowledge of REW to make it work. I'm still learning but I've done quite well.

From this:
IMG_20200328_091505.jpg

To this:
IMG_20200328_101921.jpg

Two subs time aligned with a nice house curve leading nicely into the 80hz x-over.

The STR will further refine this and help blend into the mains even more.

That's the plan anyway. :smashin:

Those are unsmoothed frequency responses.

You never smooth the subwoofer response.

Yeah, it was a bad break mate. Right at the elbow too which means my arm will never full extend ever again. Lots of physio needed but can't go for physio as that department is closed due to Coronavirus.
Oh well, that's life, at least I'm alive and, it's my left arm and I'm right handed so that's a lucky stroke.
I badly damaged my left elbow ca 20 years ago. Still causes me problems, especially numbness in the left half of the left hand (damage to the nerve channel, neurologist said it would remain).

I wish you a good recovery.

I looked at the Vertex too and it seemed very similar but there was a feature on the Diva that caught my eye (can't remember now) so I went for that.
Do you find it easy to use? I know it has an IR blaster output (which came with it) so the harmony will sort that out.

Yes, I intend to use the harmony to control the hdmi IN on the OPPO which, in turn, will control the relevant device. A touch overly complicated as Rambles suggested and was correct in saying but I didn't want to buy another amplifier which won't be used as one.

I'll post a full report as I promised but like I said, the STR is delaying everything at the minute.

I can't wait to ditch the Arcam (no offence to Arcam users). :)
Re the diva I think it lets you plug in some led lights or something?

I’m sure you’ve got it all planned out in your head so do you mind talking me through how you’re plumbing in your sub?

Also you mentioned a few posts back about hoping the oppo would let you set the crossover on your sub to 200hz? Can you explain the significance of this please, just trying to get my head around a few things

I badly damaged my left elbow ca 20 years ago. Still causes me problems, especially numbness in the left half of the left hand (damage to the nerve channel, neurologist said it would remain).

I wish you a good recovery.

Thanks Mark, appreciate that. It's gonna be a long road as I have severe restricted movement so it's daily exercises for me! .

Thanks again for your well wishes! :)

I went down the nad c 658 route so will compare and contrast to the sr250 once I have it set up.

Re the diva I think it lets you plug in some led lights or something?

I’m sure you’ve got it all planned out in your head so do you mind talking me through how you’re plumbing in your sub?

Also you mentioned a few posts back about hoping the oppo would let you set the crossover on your sub to 200hz? Can you explain the significance of this please, just trying to get my head around a few things

Hi Fergal.

Yeah sure, I'll go through it with you.

So, the OPPO will do all the downmixing to 2.1 which will be output by the 7.1 analogue output.
The L & R will go straight to the analogue IN of the STR.
The .1 will go to the INPUT 1 of the miniDSP.
OUTPUT 1 & 2 on the miniDSP will then go to sub1 & sub2 IN on the STR.
Sub1 & Sub2 OUT will then go out to my subs individually.

The miniDSP will be used to apply the necessary time alignment/delays with a little EQ applied.
I will then allow ARC Genesis to take over with a much easier subwoofer signal to deal with.

I know it sounds complicated but it will definitely work without a shadow of doubt.

The reason I need the OPPO to go to 200hz on the LFE is because I won't be using the OPPO's bass management (just the downmix) so I need both the miniDSP and STR to see a full subwoofer signal so they can do their magic.
The STR will then apply the necessary x-over.
If I allow the OPPO to apply the x-over at 80hz then the miniDSP and STR will have nothing to work with.

I hope that makes sense?? :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom