1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anything on the new Panny PD50 ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by akerman, Nov 26, 2004.

1. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, the successor the highly popular (apart from some problems) TX-xxPD30 is here, and is called the TX-xxPD50. Comes in 32" (TX-32PD50) and 36" (TX-36PD50). Someone said it's supposed to have Acuity 2.

Has anyone bought this? Or has anyone seen a review? I want to know how good it is compared to the old models and other high-end CRTs, and also if all the little bugs are fixed...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, I just found this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156225

I think the German shop "mediadeal" is willing to ship it to me, here in Denmark. Their price is 1763€ (+ shipping) - pretty cheap for a topclass 36"... do you think there is any CRT that can hold it's own against the PD50?

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hmmm,may give one of those a try if my HQ100 never gets sorted.............

4. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also wondering how big that table is.. if it's a perfect half-circle, I'm pretty sure most, if not all, AV receivers would be too big for it - ie. the corners of the AV units would reach beyond the border of the glass dish.... :/

5. ScootermanRoger

ScootermanRoger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few differences on the pd 50 compared to the pd30, according to info on Panasonic's eshop website.
    The main one, (apart from the frontage being black instead of silver) concerns the tube. The pd50 has the apparrantly slimmer Quintrix SR2 fitted, which means the depth of the cabinet is reduced. The 36pd30 is 644mm deep, but the 36pd50 is 590mm deep. The cabinet it sits on is correspondingly reduced in depth from 504mm to 476mm, all other dimensions and weights appear to be the same.
    The pd30 also quotes "tweeters" which are not quoted for the pd50, but this is probably a descriptive omission rather than a spec change. However the sound generally is not as good (IMHO) as earlier Panasonics, - I have a TX33A1 which has the "Dome" sound system fitted which is like HiFi sound quality. Sadly Panasonic seem to have cut corners on their later sets. (Mine is 1990 vintage with a failing tube, - VERY failing! *rubs eyes!*, hence my interest in a new Panny)
    One last difference I noted is that the pd30 quotes screen modes 16/9 14/9 and 4/3. The pd 50 shows only 16/9 and 14/9. Does it do 4/3? I don't know (yet!) Answers please on a postcard, or even on this thread!

6. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to a Danish hi-fi dealer, the difference between the pd30 and the pd50 is negligble. He recommends the Philips PW9509 instead, which is even £250 cheaper.

7. PUD the Ancient

PUD the Ancient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    There is a review in what hifi this month and they give it 5 stars. Say it is better than the pd30 in that slightly sharper picture, virtually gotten rid of all the shimmer and noise which could occur with fast movement on the pd30. Also seem to have sorted the pic noise which could occur with accuity getting confused by low bandwith sky signals. Dvd pics through component are apparently fantastic. I would like to see this tv but cannot seem to find anyone other than online sellers who have it, can anyone help?

8. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Didn't the PD30 get 5 stars from just about everyone a year ago? :devil:

9. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Local Comet had it in stock ;)

10. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    yes it does do 4:3

11. johnwilliams1

johnwilliams1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received mine on thursday . Put the stand together in about 20 minutes. You will need a hand to lift as its very heavy! Pictures from thomson digibox are very good from a dvd are brilliant . taking delivery of a denon avr2805 today. So far so good , just cant stop smiling .

12. PUD the Ancient

PUD the Ancient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Thanks for the info john, let us know how you get on with the denon, will you be using progressive. Also could you tell me which supplier you purchased from ?

13. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have had mine for over a month now and still no problem.
    I told some of you guys then that maybe panny has corrected many of the faults found in pd30 :devil:
    I know not many people have pd50 but those who have,has only good things to say about them.
    It can do 4:3.

14. johnwilliams1

johnwilliams1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purchased the tv from empire direct , very pleased with customer service , they gave me the tracking number to talk to the carrier to arrange delivery time . Been looking to by a large crt for some time , was interested in the pd30 but waited for thr pd50. The pictures are very very good .

15. eXOBeX

eXOBeX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my parents a 32PD50 from Empire Direct too. Ordered after Xmas deadline, still arrived on the 22nd. Can't fault them, can't fault the set either.

16. asdff

asdff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about all the probs that the PD30 had, can't find them on the 50?

Is the component input PAL and NTSC progressive?

The stand is always included, right?

17. fire boy

fire boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Is the component input PAL and NTSC progressive?

The stand is always included, right?[/QUOTE]

I've had the 36" pd50 for 3 weeks and not found any gripes so far
    I'm not much of a techie but I know the component input is both PAL & NTSC progressive.

Not yet used the PAL progressive yet but will very shortly as my player is only NTSC but using the component input the picture is stunning. :smashin:
    I did think about buying the 37" viera plasma but this crt set beats it hands down for picture quality at almost half the cost. :clap:

The stand was included in the price I paid (approx £1,300 from Prc in Ilford Essex)

Check out the prc websight they are VERY cheap, not seen anything cheaper elsewhere.

Hope this helps

18. kenp

kenp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can get 36pd50 + e85 for £1600 or + e95 for £1800 delivered & installed from local Panny
    shop - seems a decent safe option - any thoughts?
    This combo will do most of what i want but i have a pace NTL box.Using vcr can't watch a
    cable channel and record or pip another eg watch footie on say sky sports 1 with
    a window for cricket on sky sports 2.
    Assume e85/95 won't help?
    Will any NTL box do this?
    What about basic Sky box - assume not
    But Sky+ should? Anyone know?
    If get sky+ can I connect it to e85/95 to record or transfer or does e85/95 become pricey
    standalone dvd player.
    Last question -If use component connection for picture assume use a scart for sound.
    How does tv know? - is this part of some set up routine?
    Expect this all sounds pretty dumb - apologies but would appreciate any advice
    Thanks

Ken