1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anything new on the Arcam AV8 front?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Halcion, Aug 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any upgrades coming or rumours of such?

Does anybody know how well the product has sold in the UK?

2. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody knows or no updates coming?

fishing,
    halcyon

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    So are you getting tempted to invest in one Halcyon?

There have been no material hardware updates as the design has proved very stable in production, nor are any planned at this time.

There has been a significant software update to v3.0 earlier this year. That adds Dolby EX (without THX) as requested by a number of customers, plus the ability to rename inputs, improved options when saving presets, more RS232 commands and a few other things.

There are other software enhancements in the works; I have no indication of the release date yet. Please don't ask me what they will be, even privately, as I am unable to give any details at this time because they are commercially sensitive - sorry. However you can rest assured we are supporting the product fully and continuing development work on the platform.

Again sales figures are obviously confidential but I can tell you it has sold pretty well in both the UK and overseas. The AV8, together with the P7, is now a very substantial part of Arcam's business.

Hope this helps you make up your mind.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes, I'm quite interested. I had problems with my power amps (I had AV8 for testing), that needed solving though.

What I could test, AV8 sounded like my cup of tea.

Thanks for the info!

5. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

How does one go about getting hold of firmware updates for the AV8? Also, why aren't owners informed when new/significant updates are made available?

Regards,

Jules.

6. Lintone

Lintone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the latest software ((V3) here. You do of course need the programmer software which is supplied with the AV8.

Let me know by email if you need it.

Thanks,

Mark

7. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear John,

is there any chance that you will add video-transcoding to the AV8 and call it an AV8+ or something? I have a DV88+ but I had to marry it to a Denon AVR3803 to use my plasma properly. Using a plasma, or projector it is easier to use a single componant connection married to the amp so that sound and picture go hand in hand.

8. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Paul,

Thank you for your suggestion. It is noted. Other sensible suggestions are always welcome.

For the record we do not generally comment on what we may or may not do in the future as it can lead to misunderstandings and also is very likely to be commercially sensitive. However you can rest assured that the Arcam development team keeps a very close eye on what may be beneficial for future versions of our products :)

Jules - as to publicising SW upgrades we frankly do not currently have the resource to contact everyone registered with us when we do this. However dealers will normally be aware of these and we suggest you contact your supplier from time to time to see what's new. Also keeping an eye on newsgroups such as this one may be beneficial, but don't believe everything you read! One other comment - owners should aim to have an upgrade performed by their dealer wherever possible; it reduces the risk of a failed upgrade and any subsequent arguments over who is responsible for what.

Sincerely,

John Dawson (Arcam)

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    John, is there any reason why you couldn't have a page on your website that is updated whenever new software versions are released for Arcam products? At least then we'd be able to check if there's a new version without bugging you or tech support every week. ("Is there a new version yet?" "No." "Is there a new version yet?" "No." "Is there a new version yet?" "No." And so forth. :) )

10. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a good idea.

11. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I must admit that lack of notification of software updates does look like it could be an issue. My dealer didn't get notification of the v3 update and I told _them_ it was available!

Lets face it, a mailing list isn't exactly hard to administer with a 'join' and 'remove' option on the website. Or even a single page with the latest version number (whether you agree or not with tag's posting of updates for users to download, I think they earned a great deal of respect for their open approach to upgrades and what was included).

Also, my brand new AV8 turned up 3 weeks ago with v2.4 software, which is ancient - it wasn't until we checked it after the install (when I realised the menu for renaming inputs was missing) that we noticed: given the time v3 has been available, both myself and the dealer has assumed it would be already at the latest version.

Overall I'm very happy with it and having my dealer come and set it up was great (saved me many hours).

I have two niggling issues though:

There doesn't seem to be a way of saving the volume level for each input. With a variety of analogue/digital sources, matching the volume between them is a pain so saving the 'last volume' when switching sources (in the same way it does the mode) would be really useful.

I use 5 channels of the P7 for my main room. I use 2 channels for the kitchen on Zone 2. However, the P7 is only turned on when Zone 1 is on (using the 3.5mm trigger cable) - is it possible to have the AV8 output the trigger on both outputs if either Zone is on, or can I simply re-wire the cable and common the Z1/Z2 trigger output?

12. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kryten,

Did you get a trigger cable with the AV8?

Also how do you tell what software version you are running?

Lastly (for John D) I would add my vote that an upscaling ability on the AV8 would be a beneficial upgrade.

13. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No, you don't get a cable with the AV8/P7 combo (now I know Arcam don't include audio cables, but this is annoying, given the price of the combo!). That said your dealer should really be able to sort out out, but any standard stereo 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable will do for the connection.

To view the versions, hold down DVD + CD + OK on the front panel.

Some interesting info on the AV8 can be found here http://www.aslgroup.com/arcam/arcam_av8_faq.htm (I believe they are the US distributors - isn't it time Arcam actually created a 'Home Cinema' page on the support site? Its been 'under construction' for as long as I can remember)

14. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also only got version 2.4 and mine is only around 7 weeks old.

Question, to get this upgraded do I contact any FMJ dealer to do the job and is there a charge as my suppling dealer is in Cumbia and I'm at the other end of the country?

Regards
    John

15. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, it seems that Arcam have a QC issue then with the new units being shipped (as surely all new kit should leave with the latest firmware).

You _can_ do it yourself if you have a pc with a serial port and a null modem cable. However, if anything went wrong, I'm not sure who would have to fix it as Arcam are only approving dealers to do the upgrades and not (generally) supplying to users to do themselves.

However, given your situation, I'd suggest contacting Arcam support to see if they are prepared to send you the new firmware.

16. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Kryten, on teh phone now!!