• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anything new before World Cup?

GarethG

Established Member
I am looking for getting freesat for the world cup but am trying to decide whether to buy now and start enjoying, or wait until nearer the time.

I have not been following the industry - are there any new launches / updates in technology etc expected in the coming months?

If I bought now would be looking at the Humax freesat PVR.

Geofbob

Prominent Member
The Freesat innovation that many are looking forward to is iPlayer through ethernet, & this is already available on a trial basis on the Humax Foxsat, so that would certainly be a good choice for a Freesat PVR. I'm not aware of any technological reason to wait until nearer the World Cup.

It's possible that the price of the Foxsat might fall a bit, as & when Freeview HD PVRs come onto the market - but there's no date for that - though hopefully it'll be before the WC. In any case, since Humax will probably be bringing out one of the first of these, they'll be unlikely to encourage a price war between the two systems of PVR.

GarethG

Established Member
Thanks.

Didn't know you could get iplayer - guess its a search for other threads to find out more!

Unless easy answer as to what I would need?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
The Freesat innovation that many are looking forward to is iPlayer through ethernet, & this is already available on a trial basis on the Humax Foxsat, so that would certainly be a good choice for a Freesat PVR. I'm not aware of any technological reason to wait until nearer the World Cup.

It's possible that the price of the Foxsat might fall a bit, as & when Freeview HD PVRs come onto the market - but there's no date for that - though hopefully it'll be before the WC. In any case, since Humax will probably be bringing out one of the first of these, they'll be unlikely to encourage a price war between the two systems of PVR.

Geoffbob Sony Freesat TV's now have access to iplayer (OTA update now being transmitted)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom