Anything I should consider?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RzSwede, Feb 24, 2005.

1. RzSwede

RzSwede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm just about to put in an order for the following:

Pioneer 435XDE Plasma, Pioneer 868i DVD, Pioneer Wallmount (same price as the noname wallmounts here in Sweden). Is there any thing I should think about getting at the same time? Any recommendations about cables or additional items that you can recommend?

Rz

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Out of interest why the 868? Given your display doesn't have a resolution the scaler in the 868 can output then for simply DVD playback I'd have thought the 668 was just a good.

3. RzSwede

RzSwede

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was originally going to go for the 668, but then I was reading through this forum where they compared the 668 and 868 on the 435 and found it to be a huge difference in quality? From what I gathered the scaler in the 868 was "better" than the scaler in the plasma itself. I'd like to save the £$€ by getting the 668 if I can be sure I don't lose out too much on quality.

Rz

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Clearly I'm not going to argue with facts :) .. if someone has actually done a comparison and noticed a significant difference then obviously follow their advice. My comment was simply based on the assumption that the 868 can't output the same resolution as your display (I don't believe the 435 is 1280x720).

In this case the 435's scaler will still be kicking in, ie. if you output 1280x720 from the 868 the 435 will still scale from that to its' native size. If someone has seen a marked improvement using the 868 I can only presume that in spite of this 'double scaling' that's superior than the 435's own attempts to scale normal SD.