• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anything I can do with old iPhone 4?

Flashy

Distinguished Member
Found my old iPhone 4 in a drawer. It's in mint condition and full working order, barring the home button being a bit temperamental, and would like to put it to use if I can.

It's only 16GB so not much use as a media player, but I can't think of anything else I could do with it.

Had hoped to use it as a media controller with Hue, Sonos, Apple Remote, Sky apps, etc., but they all require iOS 8 or 9 and the iPhone 4 is iOS 7.

Anything I can do with it, or is it music player or nothing?

Bigsmoke79

Established Member
My advice if you plan on giving it to someone to use as a phone would be don't update it to iOS 9, I done this on my mums iphone 4 or 4s (can't remember) and even though its functional it's sooooo slow! and she has literally nothing on it, only used for texting and calls.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
You could set it up as a remote ip camera. Run a power cable to it and place it where you want to look and you have your very only ip camera.

Flashy

Distinguished Member
You could set it up as a remote ip camera. Run a power cable to it and place it where you want to look and you have your very only ip camera.
I did look into that a while ago but decided it was either reliant on apps which won't work with the OS, too much of a faff or beyond my skills/effort. One of those at least.

I use my old 16gb iPhone 5 as iPod in my car. With just the base iOS installed it leaves plenty of room for music.
Thanks. Can't believe I hadn't actually considered that. Think I was trying to be too clever, but in-car music player would be perfect. Just need to find a 30-pin connector now.

alan280170

Distinguished Member
I wiped mine and just put music on it, use it on the Bose sound dock as it's 32pin and I will not pay for an adapter.

D

Deleted member 27989

Samsung has an active trade in campaign where they give money off for a Samsung S8 when trading in an iPhone 4. Seriously :)

2017-09-11_08-47-17.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom