Anything honestly significantly better than JVC HD350 in average room?

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
That doesn't cost a bomb, bought this from richer when they had the last few for about £2k, I think the picture is awesome and I've had it for about 3/4 years and in the past that has meant huge strides, I'm under the impression that is less so this time around?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Well the newer X30/35 models are a good step up if you want higher brightness with extra punch and the features such as memory zoom for easily changing aspect ratios is a good thing to have.

The newer models also seem more accurate out the box and also have 3D if you want it but the HD350 is still a decent pj and if it still works for you and you don't have the £500-1000 to get you a used model X30/35 perhaps hang on for another year and see what else is available then.

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
Thx, that was my thought.

I'm still impressed by DVD's through an oppo 93. Watched Blind Fury the other day, doubt it was given any special treatment (day glow power point style dvd menu and no specials) and looked pretty spectacular at times.

Maybe if I ever buy a house and get a bat cave the extra contrast the more expensive models have will be worth it.

I also hear that the newer lower end models lack a few of the standard features on the HD350, automatic lens cap, glass lens, automatic lens adjustment and lens offset. Except for the fact how quiet the massive beast is, I doubt I could live without these admitted luxury after having manual everything in my previous purchases.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
I upgraded to an X35 and it is a much better machine, my initial thoughts are here :

JVC DLA-X35/55/75/95 Owners thread | Page 31 | AVForums

That said I do have a temporarily treated (or bat-tented) room, which I would recommend and can probably be done more quickly and easily than you may think, even if it's just throwing up a couple of black sheets.

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
I had a Sharp XVZ-10000 back in 2002/3 I think and I had it until November 2012, when an upstairs hot water tank burst and flooded it.

Even of this vintage it offered Component, HDCP and 1080i and was a DLP projector. It was about the size of the alien mothership from Close Encounters, and had a fan borrowed from an Ex British Channel Ferry Hovercraft.

When the insurance came through I went and auditioned a few projectors and was gobsmacked at how little the picture had improved. I was really expecting a revelation - but although black levels were better, etc, I was expecting a night and day difference - and I didn't see one.

If I were you I would hang onto it until this 4k nonsense gets sorted out - another year or two and you may see a really good reason to upgrade.

Mike

Batdog

I had a Sharp XVZ-10000 back in 2002/3 I think and I had it until November 2012, when an upstairs hot water tank burst and flooded it.

Even of this vintage it offered Component, HDCP and 1080i and was a DLP projector. It was about the size of the alien mothership from Close Encounters, and had a fan borrowed from an Ex British Channel Ferry Hovercraft.

When the insurance came through I went and auditioned a few projectors and was gobsmacked at how little the picture had improved. I was really expecting a revelation - but although black levels were better, etc, I was expecting a night and day difference - and I didn't see one.

If I were you I would hang onto it until this 4k nonsense gets sorted out - another year or two and you may see a really good reason to upgrade.

Mike

Depends what you auditioned.....I'm assuming they were all DLP too which in that case I can understand. TI haven't developed their DLP chips hardly for many years now and what was once a good black level is now extremely uncompetitive compared to modern LCOS & SXRD machines. DLP still have their strengths but contrast and blacks on other technologies beginning with the HD1 7 years ago have improved beyond all recognition.

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
Actually they weren't all DLP - I saw an Optoma and the Panasonic - but the room was not anything like a bat cave which won't have helped with reference to the black levels. The Optoma didn't look much better at all, but the thing which I noticed most of all with the Panasonic was the lack of image 'POP' that you get with DLP - the image felt dull and lifeless in comparison.

With projectors it is as much as case of where you auction as much as what you audition I fear.

I ended up buying an X35 (blind purchase as it happened). It was a toss up between that and the Sony HW50. In the end I went JVC from their track record and have been really pleased with it - but I'm sure I would have been just as happy with the Sony.

Mind you the XVZ10000 was a £ 10k PJ back in it's day - so it should have been good. :D

My point is however, that the 350 the OP has is a pretty neat machine - and I would be hanging on to it for a while longer until the newer 4k pj's get sensible price tags - from everything I hear that will be not too far away.....

Batdog

Actually they weren't all DLP - I saw an Optoma and the Panasonic - but the room was not anything like a bat cave which won't have helped with reference to the black levels. The Optoma didn't look much better at all, but the thing which I noticed most of all with the Panasonic was the lack of image 'POP' that you get with DLP - the image felt dull and lifeless in comparison.

With projectors it is as much as case of where you auction as much as what you audition I fear.

I ended up buying an X35 (blind purchase as it happened). It was a toss up between that and the Sony HW50. In the end I went JVC from their track record and have been really pleased with it - but I'm sure I would have been just as happy with the Sony.

Mind you the XVZ10000 was a £ 10k PJ back in it's day - so it should have been good. :D

My point is however, that the 350 the OP has is a pretty neat machine - and I would be hanging on to it for a while longer until the newer 4k pj's get sensible price tags - from everything I hear that will be not too far away.....

Unless I'm mistaken the Optoma is DLP & the Panasonic is LCD.....the Panny is hugely outperformed by JVC & Sony pj's. Demo a good LCOS/SXRD!

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Unless I'm mistaken the Optoma is DLP & the Panasonic is LCD.....the Panny is hugely outperformed by JVC & Sony pj's. Demo a good LCOS/SXRD!
You may want to re-read that mate, he bought an X35 ;)

Batdog

Wull

That doesn't cost a bomb, bought this from richer when they had the last few for about £2k, I think the picture is awesome and I've had it for about 3/4 years and in the past that has meant huge strides, I'm under the impression that is less so this time around?

I went from the 350 to a Sony HW55. This was a good step up in PQ, and a lot quieter. Keep and eye on the classified's for a good deal.... ;)

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
Quieter! I can't hear the thing and it is behind my head. Even on high power mode I'd hardly call it a racket, although it is audible.

I did sent it back not long after getting it due to an electrical fault, and they apparently cleaned or replaced the prism/optical block, maybe they changed some other stuff too.

I think I'll look at JVC and Sony in about a year, especially if it means I can get the user friendly goodies JVC seem to be dropping from their cheaper models.

i_raz

I did a side by side comparison with the jvc 750 and the x30 with Keith a while back. I found the x30 noticeably better for punch and sharpness. The motion was also slightly better. I thought the 750 was excellent until I compared it to the x30. Compared to the x30, the 750 seemed dull. I have a light coloured room with an ambient light screen. With the 750 I had to make sure the room was as dark as possible to get a decent picture as it has less lumens. With the x30 I don't have that problem.

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
So the key is not to do a side by side and continue to live naively with £3k in my pocket.

Thanks guys, I'm very happy with my picture, the black levels and sharpness, I think if I start demo'ing I'll get fixated on things that currently don't bother me or am unaware of. It doesn't sound to me like there is a jump like from chicken wire LCD to DLP (and better black level) or from DLP to DiLA with its superior naive contrast, but a better all round, albeit incremental change.

Wull

Quieter! I can't hear the thing and it is behind my head. Even on high power mode I'd hardly call it a racket, although it is audible.

I did sent it back not long after getting it due to an electrical fault, and they apparently cleaned or replaced the prism/optical block, maybe they changed some other stuff too.

I think I'll look at JVC and Sony in about a year, especially if it means I can get the user friendly goodies JVC seem to be dropping from their cheaper models.

I've found I have to run my projctors on high lamp mode due to using a long throw. The JVC to me was distracting during quite film passages unlike the Sony. Plus I could never get 14fl from the JVC, more like 11fl. The Sony has bags of lumens. I set this to 16fl which gives the pictures punch.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom