Anything else to consider?

owenfarmer

Distinguished Member
Should be looking for a new sub next week and atm it looks like the svs 20-39 is the one, i know this sub is a forum favourite but does anyone else have any suggestions as to some subs i could also look at in the £600-£700 max price bracket. The sub will be partnered with B+W m1 satelites and onkyo amp. Have looked at the monolith and not realistic in size for my room.
Anyone?

chrisgeary

if size is an issue, then you could look at the SVS SB12+, the BK XLS200 which both come in quite a bit under your budget but perform extremely well.

owenfarmer

Distinguished Member
Chris,
thanks for the reply, at the moment have a pv1 sub that looks great, is very fast and controlled but the down side is that it just doesn't shift enough air and having both blu-ray and hd along with the onkyo 875 reciever, i feel am not getting the most from my set-up. I see you have the svs 20-31 sub and i stated earlier that i was looking at the one above, do you really feel that i would benefit from either of these subs over what i have now,its punch and slam that i enjoy with my movies. There is now way i will get a box type sub of any size past my other half. It seems the cylinders are the only option left, my room size is 12' x 12', would your sub deliver what i wanted in a room that size or do you think would have to get the 20-39.
Worst nightmare is to sell my pv1 and not get much benefit from the new ones.
Any thoughts would be really good, thanks.

owen

chrisgeary

heh.. you have spotted a typo in my sub.. there is, in fact, no such sub as the 20-30PC+ !! I'll correct that...
there is, however, a 25-31PC+ which is like the 20-39 but 8 inches shorter. it will go louder but not as deep. its still the cylinder look that WAF usually fails on.

I've never heard the PV1 but those who write about it here suggest it is easily bettered. The SB12+ from SVS is, I think, not much bigger in size but way bigger in sound. It astounded me how loud and deep it went for its size when I owned one. It is also a very well finished little sub, and if you go for the real wood veneer, may have a sporting chance of passing the WAF.

owenfarmer

Distinguished Member
Chris,
thanks for the reply, at the moment have a pv1 sub that looks great, is very fast and controlled but the down side is that it just doesn't shift enough air and having both blu-ray and hd along with the onkyo 875 reciever, i feel am not getting the most from my set-up. I see you have the svs 20-31 sub and i stated earlier that i was looking at the one above, do you really feel that i would benefit from either of these subs over what i have now,its punch and slam that i enjoy with my movies. There is now way i will get a box type sub of any size past my other half. It seems the cylinders are the only option left, my room size is 12' x 12', would your sub deliver what i wanted in a room that size or do you think would have to get the 20-39.
Worst nightmare is to sell my pv1 and not get much benefit from the new ones.
I would be really greatfull if you or anyone else has a view on my dilemma (to sell or not!)

owen

owenfarmer

Distinguished Member
Sorry guys! posted same information post 3,5. I keep losing wireless conection and wasn't sure post 3 was sent, not going mad with my sub dilemma!!:oops:

Andori

Owen

The cylinders are available over here in 3 options: 25-31 PCi, 20-39 PC+, 16-46 PC Ultra. The first number is the natural tuning of the sub (i.e. 25, 20, 16 Hz), the 2nd number is the height in inches and then you have which driver it's fitted with (i.e. NSD, Plus or Ultra). In the US you can mix any of the 3 tubes with any of the drivers but we only get the 3 options (I think partly due to the cost of CE marking). They all have the same 16" diameter footprint.

The PC+ has the advantage of the room compensation and single band PEQ and is tunable by the ability to block ports. This should allow you to be able to integrate it easier into your room (stick it in the corner and forget about it :))

I think the cylinders look nice with their black furry covering, but I guess you could make a new cover to put over the old one to make it blend in with the walls:devil:

If you need a small box, then the options are BK XLS200 in a 14" ish cube, the XLS300 in a 15" ish cube or the SVS SB12+ also in a 15" ish cube.

Based on Ilkka's results (the way I read them but I may be doing it wrong), the XLS200 beats the PV1 on going deeper. The XLS300 goes a little bit louder than the SB12+, but doesn't go quite as low as the SB12+ or XLS200 (I guess may be due to the faster rolloff with a passive radiator design, going on what I read in Russell's review) The PC+ in either of its 3 tuning modes will beat all of these, but in 12Hz goes even lower.

Personally, if I was buying now with a £700 budget it would be a PC+, but then I don't have a WAF issue to worry about :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom