Question Anything better than TX-NR646 for £330

mushtafa

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I do better for the money?

Anything else to consider for a little more money?

Currently own TX-SR705, Mordaunt Short 902i L&R and 950c centre, Mission 731 rears.

Need to upgrade so I can pass 4K, 3D, HDCP 2.2 etc.

Well the 646 is technically a downgrade in terms of receiver from your current receiver. Although it is only one level down so may not be that much difference.
Another receiver in a similar price point is the Denon 2200.

I compared the denon 2200 against my onkyo 646 today and the 646 is a far better amp. The onkyo has a lot more punch and draws you into the film something denon didn't do.

How did you compare them? Where they both in your house with your speakers? Or both in the same demo room with same speakers?

The Denon 2200 is about £100 more expensive at £429. Is it worth the extra?

I'm using Richersounds for prices, as I may pop to my local store tomorrow and pick one up. I'll ask for a demo if they're not too busy

Is there a chart/table somewhere to compare the Onkyo model series? The 6xx series doesn't seem to have pre-outs, where my 7xx does. If that's the only difference, it doesn't matter. I don't use them.

I took the amp home and as I already had the 646 they let me buy the denon to try it and then take back for a refund. The denon is not a bad amp but I don't think it's worth the extra money as the 646 is now 329.99 . I did notice the onkyo was better built, but the deciding factor was the performance of the 646. The was more detail to the sound and a lot more punch. When I first got my 646 I was a little underwhelmed but a quick adjustment of the sound menus I was blown away by it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom