Anything better than panny 310 for circa £200?

indus

Distinguished Member
Hi

I need a new bdp and require two hdmi outs. I only need to use it for blu ray and dvd, not to play cds etc.

I don't want to spend more than around £200 so the oppo etc is out.

Is the panny as good as any other at this price pt?

Thanks

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
indus said:
Hi

I need a new bdp and require two hdmi outs. I only need to use it for blu ray and dvd, not to play cds etc.

I don't want to spend more than around £200 so the oppo etc is out.

Is the panny as good as any other at this price pt?

Thanks

Yes, panny is your best option for two outs.

skk3

Need to spend a lot more to get better...

indus

Distinguished Member
Need to spend a lot more to get better...

Such as what? And bear in mind I only want a BDP, not something that something that plays CDs etc

mentm

I can only assume skk is reffering to the oppos which cost a lot more.

Panny is your best bet.

indus

Distinguished Member
I can only assume skk is reffering to the oppos which cost a lot more.

Panny is your best bet.

Thanks. But does the Oppo actually sound better when used only for bd playback over hdmi?

Thanks

mentm

Thanks. But does the Oppo actually sound better when used only for bd playback over hdmi?

Thanks

IMO no it has uprated analogue components which you won't be using.

Perhaps I haven't had my PS3 of many years setup correctly, but even with just a single HDMI cable the Oppo blows it out of the water, very clearly, I couldn't hide the purchase from my wife as she noticed and asked whether something has changed...

mentm

@dejongj in what way exactly does it blow your ps3 out of the water. The general consensus is one bluray player is much the same as another when playing blurays over hdmi.

I don't use a ps3 anymore, but thats because i cant use my harmony remote with it, it can't play multi region dvds and it has a noisy fan. Nothing to do with bluray picture quality or audio quality.

I agree in theory it shouldn't do it, ones and zeroes and all that...But it does actually, my system never sounded nor looked better. The output seems much stronger somehow, huge difference in volume levels as well.

indus

Distinguished Member
I agree in theory it shouldn't do it, ones and zeroes and all that...But it does actually, my system never sounded nor looked better. The output seems much stronger somehow, huge difference in volume levels as well.

Interesting. This is why I wonder whether I should spend the extra and get the Oppo. At twice the cost though it's no point spending that if all I'm paying for is superiority in areas that don't concern me ie analogue output, upscaling dvds and cd music playback

briggsze

Novice Member
Go and get a demo of the oppo and take your ps3or what ever with you to compare it, sorted:smashin:dejongj you got there first ha ha

indus

Distinguished Member
I'd try and get a demo and not take my word for it :) And compare it direct to the Panny...

What you say is correct, but how on earth am I meant to do that? Find somewhere that stocks the Panny and Oppo and then get them to lend me both for a back to back home demo?

Its not really going to happen is it?:)

briggsze

Novice Member
why dont you take your panny 35 and demo each one at least you will get some idea then you dont have to bring it home.Any way my mate has got a panny 35 and hes just got the panny210 i will see what he thinks of it but it may be some time before he tests it:D

What you say is correct, but how on earth am I meant to do that? Find somewhere that stocks the Panny and Oppo and then get them to lend me both for a back to back home demo?

Its not really going to happen is it?:)

I'm pretty certain many of the official Oppo dealers don't mind you taking in your own bit of kit. But depending on where you are that might be a bit difficult or out of the way to get too :( I didn't have any in my area either, but was lucky with not one but two pals that offered a demo which was enough for me to decline and take a punt:D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom