1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anything better than OLMPUS C765 10X OPTICAL?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Stupidgrinner, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Stupidgrinner

Stupidgrinner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I've just bought a Sony P200, which seems fine. But my brother has a Olmpus Camedia C765 which we used at the zoo recently. I was just really impressed with the 10x Optical zoom on it. I like birdwatching and the opportunities with this 10 x zoom just seem brilliant.
    Can you recommend any other cameras better than the Olympus 765?
    Regards, Steve.

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure if they'll produce better picture's than the 765 as I havn't seen comparisons (or what your budget is as you didn't mention that) but you might want to have a look at the:-
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmcfz5.asp
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmcfz20.asp
    Canon Powershot S2 IS http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s2is.asp
    Inside the links are sample shots, a review and owner's opinions.

If you like the look of the Panasonic's (and have a good bit of cash :D ) then you might want to wait a bit for the DMC-FZ30 with 8 million pixels http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmcfz30.asp It's also being discussed on the forums here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228454

I've just upgraded from an Olympus C765 to a Canon DSLR myself and intend to keep it for the times when I don't want to lug round all the DSLR kit, and allthough I still rate it, I have to admit that the image stabiliation and 12 x optical zoom of the camera's listed above would've been a bit too tempting to me.

Regards,
    Iain.

3. Stupidgrinner

Stupidgrinner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Iain. I have been recommended the very cameras you mention also. Bearing in mind the reasonable size of the 765...and the excellent price point, I concluded it is a lot of camera for the money. I believe the ones you mentioned are a lot dearer, up to double in fact, and are all bigger cameras. I hadn't mentioned my budget so understand your choices. They all have excellent reputation, but for sub £200 GBP...the Olympus at about £175 seems excellent value.
    Thanks again for your reply.
    Steve.

4. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Your welcome mate, since your wanting to keep it under £200 then I don't think there's much to touch the Olympus 765 for the money (allthough I'll leave it open to other members to offer other possible available alternatives, I can't think of any).

Here's a thread started a while ago about the 765 that's well worth a read... it's pretty long but it's informative and has a good few hint's and tips in there aswell. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143574

Good luck in whatever your choice may be :thumbsup:

Regards,
    Iain.

5. Stupidgrinner

Stupidgrinner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually Iain, I've just ordered the 770 from Amazon. I believe it has the upgraded video and sound and the better buffer for sequential shots.
    Including a 256 Picture Card and 1st class postage...£205.
    Amazon have the 770 at £179.99...the next cheapest I could find was over £200.
    Got to be a bargain.
    S.

6. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds like a bargain indeed... well done :smashin:

Lookin forward to seeing some pics.

Regards,
    Iain.

7. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The 770 is a belter - great choice.

The only drawback for the 770 against the Panni FZ's is it has no image stabilisation - this is a massive help for a long zoom.

You'll still get great results but you'll need hands like rock to get the full zoom pics sharp. Use a tripod if possible.

8. Stupidgrinner

Stupidgrinner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MJ. I see your a golfer. I was wondering about using the sequential shot taking facility on some of my mates golf swings. Have you tried that?
    SG.

9. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    2.1FPS for 5 seconds...Hmmm needs to be a very slow moving swing in order to get it in multiple shots...

I don't know whether the flash has got a strobe-function, but a long shutter-speed with strobe flash resulting in a single picture may be a better bet...

10. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry I don't own a 770 - used to have a 765 but moved to a FZ3....my hands weren't steady enough !!!

IS is a really big help and not just a gimmic.

As i've said though the 770 will give you superb results if you are outdoors or on a tripod indoors & at long zoom.

11. MattB1

MattB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 765 and I love it. I've yet to see anything to really tempt me to move away from it. The image quality is excellent and it allows full manual control. For the extra few quid the 770 has a couple of nice features including flash shoe, better video and remote control.

As a couple of the posters above mentioned, the Image Stabalisation on the Panni's is a big help indoors or if you have shaky hands.

Matt.