Anything better than a MARANTZ DV-4300

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by LDJ, Dec 10, 2003.

1. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm looking at replacing my now ageing Sony 735 DVD player (fantastic machine what it has been - cost £500 at the time! eek!) and getting a new unit.
    Since it will be used with a PWD6 plasma, I think progressive scan in both PAL & NTSC should be a fundamental requirement if I am to achieve the best performance from all components, and the Marantz DV-4300 is one player that seems to fit my requirements. I've found it for under £200 (my limit at the moment), multi-region and its CDR/RW/DVDR/RW compatible which is another requriement.

I'm not interested in SACD/DVDA nor viewing jpegs or listening to MP3 or any music in gerneral - I just want a top notch player for movies. I've read that Pioneer DV565A is meant to be a bit special, but that only does NTSC Prog. scan does it not?

What I was wondering is whether there is anything better for the money that has equal/greater specification? If you had £200 and wanted a player with the above requirements, which would you recommend?

2. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    LDJ

I read that the DV4300 when doing Pal PS, rephased Pal 50hz to Pal 60hz so giving NTSC PS the edge. The review was in What Video/TV http://www.whatvideotv.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2953]here[/URL]
    I'm looking at this player also. I've seen it for as little as £175 on line but was woundering whether it was worth spending the extra on the HK DVD25 at around £260. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be too much about this player on the forum. I don't know what deinterlacing chip set it uses, but the player has been neather praised or reviled greatly.

LMK if you find out any more

Cheers

Croc

3. Coot

Coot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got a 4300 yesterday and first impressions show it to be very good ( to my eyes and ears at least )

At £156 from richer sounds and multi region its worth a try.

Let me know if you wanted any more info - I'm using it with a Z1 projector.

Cheers,

Pete.