Anything being released over the next 3 or 4 months to compete with the Nikon D90?

NeilF

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Surely some of the competitors have offerings coming up trying to compete with the D90?

Anything being release over the next 304 months to compete with the Nikon D90?

Something will pop up in the next 25 years... :D

I'm not aware of anything specific. The Canon 50D sits above it, and is very new, and the 450D is also pretty new kit. The closest Sony is the A700, and that's also a pretty new model.

I think there are rumblings of new stuff from Olympus and Pentax though

I'm not aware of anything specific. The Canon 50D sits above it, and is very new, and the 450D is also pretty new kit. The closest Sony is the A700, and that's also a pretty new model.

I think there are rumblings of new stuff from Olympus and Pentax though

I'm surprised we're not going to see a lot of the manufacture hot on the heals of Nikon with their video enabled cameras for £700ish.

304 months= 3 or 4 ?:rotfl:
Ill just change the thread title..:rolleyes:!!

I'm surprised we're not going to see a lot of the manufacture hot on the heals of Nikon with their video enabled cameras for £700ish.

Actually I note that the 450D was announced in Jan 08, so I guess we might get a 500D in the new year

The D90 sits in a niche by itself. There are competitive produces for the D60 below it (like the 450D) and the D300 above it (like the 40D, 50D, A700).

The D90 sits in a niche by itself. There are competitive produces for the D60 below it (like the 450D) and the D300 above it (like the 40D, 50D, A700).

Exactly... Hence me assuming the others will be jumping in with it!

Exactly... Hence me assuming the others will be jumping in with it!

Hasn't happened to date. Canon and Nikon dovetail rather than go head to head. You could reverse it and say why hasn't Nikon got anything to compete with the 450D.

Sony are kinda doing their own thing too, with the in-body stabilisation.

As someone pointed out, in encourages brand switching perhaps. A 450D owner looks over the fence at the D90, and the D90 owner considers the 50D, and so on. Canon/Nikon in particular seem to occupy alternate rungs on the pricing ladder.

Hasn't happened to date. Canon and Nikon dovetail rather than go head to head. You could reverse it and say why hasn't Nikon got anything to compete with the 450D.
D80? It's old, but still competitive surely?

Sony are kinda doing their own thing too, with the in-body stabilisation.

As someone pointed out, in encourages brand switching perhaps. A 450D owner looks over the fence at the D90, and the D90 owner considers the 50D, and so on. Canon/Nikon in particular seem to occupy alternate rungs on the pricing ladder.
Personally I think you'll see all the other brands jumping on the video bandwagon ASAP. And no doubt some of these will also be in D90 territory...

D80? It's old, but still competitive surely?
Not quite.
You discount the 450D too readily. It isnt that far from the 40D and that is a notch above

Personally I think you'll see all the other brands jumping on the video bandwagon ASAP. And no doubt some of these will also be in D90 territory...
The Canon 5D mk 11 has video , but as it is not the same league as the D90 Im not sure that would be called "jumping the bandwagon" . It is possible they were all developing simultaneously as the idea is far from unique

As has been stated above, Nikon and Canon seem to avoid directly competing models , As such you may find the D90 will remain "unique"
However 3-4 ( or 304 ;)) months is not such a long time and even if it remains unique for that long I imagine Spring 2009 will come with something new. Maybe not better, but different

Last edited:
The current range from Nikon and Canon bodies looks like ...

• Nikon D60 £277
  • Canon 1000D £314
  • Canon 450D £404
  • Nikon D90 £650
  • Nikon D300 £900
  • Canon 50D £980
All three Canons were announced this year as well as two of the three Nikons. I can't see Canon coming out with anything new to compete with the D90. The only alternative is the Sony A700 body at £600.

The D90 looks to be a very impressive piece of kit in a smallish semi-pro format. Why wait for another camera. The price should drop as we approach the new year.

Everyone seems to be talking about the Video on the D90, the main point of the camera is not the video it's the quality of the photographs and the handling of the actual camera, looking at the D90 using this criteria, the camera is excellent and the other manufacturers need to compete on this level forgetting about the video.

Looking at all the reviews and my current useage it is going to have to be a damn good camera to beat it at this price point!

Everyone seems to be talking about the Video on the D90, the main point of the camera is not the video it's the quality of the photographs and the handling of the actual camera, looking at the D90 using this criteria, the camera is excellent and the other manufacturers need to compete on this level forgetting about the video.

Looking at all the reviews and my current useage it is going to have to be a damn good camera to beat it at this price point!

Absolutely! But the video footage is like a free desert with a great lunch!

If you're out with the kids, it's handy to be able to catch 20-30 seconds of video without having to lug around yet another piece of hardware!

Without prejudice to how good it is, Nikon did introduce the video ( as a first) and it should be no surprise that , the main talking point ATM is that
Im sure nobody feels that on the heels of the D80 and with some D 300 technology it can be anything but great
Anyone who buys it for the video doesnt really have any serious video intentions.. It is not a camcorder

More kudos to Nikon for that.
As stated above Nikon and Canon seem to avoid going head to head at price points and It is good for the consumer that there is no shortage of excellent kit whatever your budget

More kudos to Nikon for that.
As stated above Nikon and Canon seem to avoid going head to head at price points and It is good for the consumer that there is no shortage of excellent kit whatever your budget

But I suspect most of the next cameras from all the manufacturers will feature video facilities....

D90 is above the Canon 450D. But the Canon 50D is above the D90, although the Canon does not offer video. These are all non-pro cameras.

The 5Dii is *far* above all of these in all respects, other than sports shooting & birds in flight and is what I would term semi-pro. Nikon D300 etc are also semi-pro but differ markedly from the Canon 5Dii so much that I wouldn't really compare them.

D90 is above the Canon 450D. But the Canon 50D is above the D90, although the Canon does not offer video. These are all non-pro cameras.

The 5Dii is *far* above all of these in all respects, other than sports shooting & birds in flight and is what I would term semi-pro. Nikon D300 etc are also semi-pro but differ markedly from the Canon 5Dii so much that I wouldn't really compare them.

Where is the 40D in all this? it is still a current model AFAIK..:D

Where is the 40D in all this? it is still a current model AFAIK..:D

The D90 is newer and therefore has a technological advantage (as has a 450D over the 40D), but I'd place the 40D above the D90, as it is less amateur/consumer.

I'd place a Nikon D300 above it though, as well as above the 50D.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom