anyones Toshiba WLT58 switching inputs away from HDMI?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other day I was trying to get the HDMI aspect ratio switching working for SD channels, as mentioned on here. Fiddled with the menus and couldn't see what I had set wrong.

I tried pressing the i+ button to see if it would tell me what setting the picture was on, but it told me I was on Input 3 Svideo! I set it to HDMI and the switching worked.

Since then there have been at least two other occasions where the TV has been on svideo rather than HDMI. The sky is hooked up to HDMI and svideo (how my old sky+ was connected), and not by SCART. Also if you switch the TV on with the power button it should go to the last input.

Any suggestions?

yes, why are you using s-video? unless your picky dump the s-video and watch SD thru HDMI. s-video like scart can carry a signal to automatically switch your tv over which could be causing you a problem.

if your tv is on HDMI you shouldnt be able to switch aspect ratio

I *am* using HDMI for SD video. The svideo is just there from the old sky. The point is the TV sometimes ends up on the svideo input (which I don't want to use) rather than the HDMI.

And the Toshibas do aspect ratio switch SD over HDMI. not HD though as thats 16:9 in the first place.

I have the WLT66 and the tv always comes on the last input - but is usually HDMI.

The WLT66 does correct (automatic) aspect switching via HDMI for SkyHD - except for dedicated HD channels where there is not format information - so it is 16:9. Manual switching is available to correct the occasional Sky Sports HD 4:3 programme.

Never experienced it on my wlt58. Its always on the last input i left it on (and never s-video as i have nothing on that input)

Never had that happen on my 37WLT58, but then I don't have S-Video cable attached.

Why not just disconnect the S-Video cable?

N.B. HDMI Picture format function is only avaliable on SD channels when Sky box is set to Auto (hence 576p). But when turning to a HD channel the TV takes 2 or 3 seconds to return a picture after the switch to 1080i :thumbsdow . I've left the Sky Box at 1080i to avoid this delay.

SuperSeven said:
N.B. HDMI Picture format function is only avaliable on SD channels when Sky box is set to Auto (hence 576p). But when turning to a HD channel the TV takes 2 or 3 seconds to return a picture after the switch to 1080i :thumbsdow . I've left the Sky Box at 1080i to avoid this delay.
HDMI picture format works fine on the WLT66 with the Sky box in 1080i mode (works the same in any of the HD modes)

ozsat said:
HDMI picture format works fine on the WLT66 with the Sky box in 1080i mode (works the same in any of the HD modes)

Must have been something they changed between the 58 and 66 models :thumbsdow

I was sure I had seen other 58 users saying it (4:3 / 16:9 1080i switching) worked - so was surprise when I read this thread (which is why I posted).

if you "dont want to use" the svideo input then disconnect it! it will be what is switching the tv over as hdmi doesnt (stupidly) have auto switch over

as for aspect switching on my tv in 1080i mode it wont let you switch aspect on hdmi or component, but when the sky box is set to 576 it will let you change on both connections

another 37WLT58 owner here (I started that monster 200 page WLT58 thread, hah!) - just concurring with the others, in 1080i there's no auto switching, that's only on 'auto' but with the delay between HD and SD switching, so I don't use it. I've never had it switch out from HDMI 1.

What's annoying is when the kids switch the TV on, with the Sky remote, and press 6 (as we had to using our old Sony to get to AV1) - and .. Sky is somehow mapped to it, I can't remember how, and I'm sitting there wondering why the HD channels look so bad.

That might be whats happening with mine. I'll have to monitor the kids.
i have my set in auto as i usually stay in hd or sd for a while so delays don't bother me yet. Plus the pic seems slightly clearer in auto

It may be a software issue in the tv which has only recently been applied.

Most tv's do not do the aspect ratio switching for the SD channels - but the WLT66 is one of the most recently launched models.

Yes my 37WL56 only does auto aspect switching when the auto format is on in the TVs settings menu & the Sky box picture resolution is set to auto.
Mick;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom