Anyone work as an estate agent?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by p1tse, Sep 12, 2012.

1. p1tse

p1tse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Question is we have had our house on market for almost 4 months
    10 viewings probably, but no offers
    House is in good condition, clean, nice decor and nothing OTT or anything major required doing being a new build in 2000
    Priced keenly and more so with £10k reduction last week

What else can you recommend from market, what else we can do to advance things?

2. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Are you still living there? If not is there furniture in there? Try and show it as a blank canvas without looking empty. Garden looking good?

Have you seen what other houses in the area have sold for and what they are like?

3. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Got a link? Or some pictures?

4. balidey

balidey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,536
    I'm not an estate agent (who would admit to being one?), but I'll ask you a question.
    Are there any new builds in your area?
    These new houses seem to be priced at or below similar existing houses. The developers are large businesses that can probably take a hit on several houses, where as one person selling a house can't move too much on their budget. You have to make an amount to be able to afford, where as developers have already got a margin in their price so they can and will undercut prices. So I would have a look locally what else is on offer and see if that is perhaps affecting your lack of offers.

EDIT: Also 4 months is not a long time to be on market. 10 years ago maybe, but I have been looking (very casually) at my local housing market for the last couple of years and a lot of the same houses are still there. Where as new builds are springing up everywhere and are being sold. Yet the older established houses I have noticed have more land, spaced further apart, not overlooked as much, yet the new houses are selling. Very odd

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  5. redboy1

redboy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    It is, Very odd. I personally wouldnt touch another new build, unless i built it myself. After living in one i just think everything is put in as cheap as possible, The chipboard floor boards creek as do stairs, dont like dry lining, you need a 4" screw just to hang a picture, trusses are as thin as possible, usualy not much land with them etc.
    Thats just me, they are good in other areas such as energy efficient and people do like the new crisp decor.
    Me personally would now always go for an older house with a lot more land and built a lot stronger for the same price.

6. Begonia

Begonia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    You don't say if you are, say, selling it yourself using Right Move or using an agent.

If the latter and you're not happy, then change your agent asap. A new agent should bring a fresh approach and you might well be able to negotiate a better deal too.

I always remember a house 'For Sale' that belonged to my friend's parents....

In the front garden was a circular flower bed in the middle of the lawn.

In the middle of the bed was a standard rose in full bloom. It was called 'Super Star'. It was magnificent!

Guess why they sold the house? Correct. The buyers absolutely fell in love with the rose tree.

Why should someone buy your home?

Does it smell of fresh baking bread or freshly roasted coffee?

Do the neighbouring properties look friendly or does it look like a bunch of ******s live next door?

Some things you can't do anything about, somethings you can. Dropping £10k does smack a bit of desperation. Did you do the right thing? It's a loss of £10k to you but at 2% only £200 to the agent and it helps him enormously in his task to make a sale.

Anyhow, just try and eliminate all of the 'negatives' and pile on as many 'positives' as you can. Also, IMHO, do try and be there to enthuse on the place and answer any questions when the agent shows someone round.

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,298
    One thing that occurs to me is that you are selling the house equivalent of a car whose dealership warranty has just expired. It's 10 year builders guarantee has just run out, but at only 12 years old it probably shares many of the construction techniques (and perceived inherent flaws) of a new build.

So people may be looking at it and seeing no advantage over a brand new one.

8. robel

robel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,381
    Selling is not a science but in this climate things are more difficult.

Quite simply, the more people that know the house is for sale the more chance you have of selling it...make sure its viewed in its best light and priced correctly. And dont just stick with one agent, use several....

9. njdbaxter

njdbaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    possibly is not keenly priced as you say. Any house will sell if it has the right asking price.

as for the other comment about reducing the price by 10k being a sign of desperation, that was just stupid.

10 viewings in 4 months is a bit on the low side, even in todays market, but 4 months on the market is a short time considering some have been on for 1-3 years. Obviously something it stopping people from wanting to view your house, most likely location or price

10. phillyd1981

phillyd1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,474
    Is your home on right move? if it is can you post a link.

Has your estate agent had any feedback from the previous viewings? me and the missus have been viewing a few houses (looking for a 3 bed from our current 2 bed) and the following day the estate agents would call me up and ask what I thought of the property and they did prefer a honest answer.

11. p1tse

p1tse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Thanks

Rather not post a direct link for time being

EA agent mentioned he wouldn't advise dropping any further as price is spot on
    Above poster, yes we have new builds near by which doesn't help as they are bending over backwards getting people in. I guess some will prefer new.

Yes still living here so furniture, not too cluttered, clean and tidy, maintained inside and out.

Guess its sit tight but seen something we like and annoyed we can't move on it