Anyone with Toshiba SD220e - compatibility question

H

hartside2

I'm off to buy a Toshiba SD220e tomorrow. Web page of leconcepts states its SVCD compatible, but no mention of this at Toshiba's home page. Anyone out there got one that can confirm or deny this?

I've a load of SVCD's and don't want to end up with a player that doesn't support them

Version I'm looking at is multiregion with 1.5 firmware

Have played both SVCDs and VCDs on this player, if still worried check out vcdhelp.com and the dvd players section and that will help

Same here played VCD and SVCD's no problems with either originals or the CDR kind :D

off topic, but ...

any recommendations for suppliers of SVCD's ?? ;)

Hartside2

Did you get your DVD/HC kit today. Me and petrolhead went down town and I got my 22o from RS (would you believe it) for 119:95 ver 1.5 firmware and works great.

Global didn't have any in but were pushing a pioneer 350 something for 120 - not as good connectivity as the Tosh though.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything me and ph will be at a bit of a loose end for the next week or so.

7ThGuest :)

Hi,

No I didn't get it. I started by going to the Metro Centre to have a look at Leading Edge Concepts - big mistake! Big traffic jams and had to park about a mile away it was so busy.

Then went into Newcastle and did Global, Superfi and Richer. Global were very helpful and can do me an Elac Cinema 1 for £349 (that's the most he'll come down to), so I came home to think about it.

Superfi strongly advised against buying from Richer or Leading Edge after I asked if they would price match because they say Richers and LE are grey imports (big deal - so is the car I'm driving!)

In the end I came home as I think the best deal on the Tosh and Yamaha 630 is going to be Leading Edge. They will do me the Yamaha for £319, the Tosh for £129 and knock a further £10 of the reciever and the DVD also if I buy the two together form them. The also throw in a semi decent gold plated scart lead and optical cable

It will be tomorrow for the speaker pack and Monday for the system I think

Just one question - do you think the Elacs will be up to the Ymaha amps power output, or will I never run them this high?

Hi Hartside2

Good choice of amp you will loads of power to run the Elacs, and if you want to upgrade in the future you will still be able to drive something much bigger. Probably a good compromise to start with. Very much the same as I did, and then you can look out for speaker bargains on the forum. The 630 will give you a bit of future proofing and 6.1 (see if LEC will throw in the sixth speaker for free or at a reduced rate, or at least some decent speaker cable, just tell em Global was going to.

Have fun

7ThGuest :)

Richer Sounds sell grey imports?? dont think so ( and no i dont work for them) well, maybe the odd thing maybe? it sounds to me like superfi are trying to get u to buy from them.Prices are quite good from richer sounds if you know what your after and dont get pushed into buying something else

In my experience, don't assume that because they (Richer) advertise a cracking price that they've ever got any stock...!

Also, the web order/delivery system is less slick than many, although I cannot comment on the instore server.

Happy New Year everyone!

Well I got set up on Tuesday with my Elac Cinema 1's, Toshiba Multiregion SD220e and Yamaha 630RDS. I'm over the moon with the sound quality (just finished watching Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Rings on DVD)

Thanks to everyone for all the advice - it helped me enormously!

:D :D

Happy New Year hartside2

Glad to hear youv'e got everything setup, LOTR will certainly give your system a good workout.

Is the missus of the same opinion as yourself & did your Elac's fill your room OK??

Regards

7ThGuest :D :D

Glad you got your stuff and are happy with your choices :D

Happy New Year :)

My missus is a convert! - My mate lent us Monsters Inc to watch and she couldn't believe the sound.......just need to work on her now for adding a 6th speaker!

The Elacs are great - plenty in reserve and tiny enough for her indoors to be happy

:D

Glad to hear it :D :D

Get hold of a copy of Ice Age, great graphics and cracking sound. Attack of the Clones is anither one to impress with the 6th speaker gets quite a lot of usage. You could play it matrixed and then tell how much more effective it would be with another speaker :D :D

By the way where did you get your Yammy in the end and how much. I definitely am thinking of one or possibly the Denon 1803.

Regards

7Thguest :)

PS me and petrolhead where down town again today try to scoop some more bargains ;)

Got the Yamaha and Toshiba as a package deal at LE Concepts in the Metro Centre - Buying as a package I got The £10 off the price of the amp, £10 of the DVD, an optical connect and a gold plated scart. His std price for the amp on its own is £10 dearer than Richer though, but he has stock - Richer didn't!

Cheers m8

Will give em a ring tomorrow see if I can do a bit of haggling;)

7ThGuest:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom