1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone with the Grundig 17" WS LCD??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Rusty, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Rusty

Rusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone with the Grundig 17" WS LCD... I was in Dixons today, and I noticed that there is a component input on the back labelled Y Cb Cr (or whatever). I asked to see the manual so that I could determine whether I could input a progressive scan signal, and the manual said "to connect to DVD, use Y Pb Pr inputs..."

Y, Pb and Pr are progressive whereas Y, Cb and Cr are normal component (as far as I know). Is anyone running a progressive signal into the monitor through the component connections?

I have the AVT-3700 (Brite-view) PS box for my video inputs and the D-sub for my computer. At the mo I am using the PS box's RGB output as I don't have an appropriate monitor for PS.

I'm thinking about getting this, or the low cost rebranded one which might or might not be available soon!

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I have one of these screens -- second television to my plasma. :D

It does indeed have component input -- I had to buy another (excellent) JS-Tech RGB2YUV converter to plug second Sky digibox in.

The component input accepts interlaced PAL or NTSC (576i or 480i) but does not accept progressive PAL or NTSC (576p or 480p) signals.

It will accept a scaled signal through the VGA though. i.e. scaled to 1280x768 is perfect.

Internal progressive scan isn't too bad actually, shows up the "chroma bug" on Sky digital in sharp definition. Only downer is that horizontal scrolling text is jerky, but that could be inherent to LCD technology anyway.

It is a fine display, and has many "best in class" features to give excellent picture quality. It's let down by rubbish remote control operation though: e.g. your press mode button once, it does nothing, press it again, it skips two modes, that kind of thing.

StooMonster

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Just to resurrect the thread!

How is the Grundigs black level.. my only quibble with my Relisys.. is that the blacks are not black enough.. though I am not sure whether this is a LCD issue as a whole??

Cheers

Matt

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Grundig is better than most of the competition in this respect, SM sums it up well, great set but that remote.....

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    If it's on in the mornings when StooMonster Jnr is playing on bedroom floor and glancing up at CBeebies or I flick to see news headlines, then it's got okay levels of black.

At night it has greyness rather than black, however, it does has adjustable backlight brightness which is useful in reducing this.

It doesn't have the black levels of my 50" Panny5 or even my Sony FW900 CRT monitor (which doesn't have the blackest levels in the world), but it does have better black than my laptop or StooMonster Jnr's 15" Philips LCD PC monitor -- and better than other LCD "televisions" I saw in the shops (accepting that they may have been incorrectly set up).

StooMonster

PS: I leave it on YUV input and Sky digital only, so don't have to use the horrid remote.

6. msunday

msunday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I have one of these sets running Sky digital through an RF cable / magic eye setup and can't manage to program the Sky remote to recognise the set. Is there another code for Grundig other than that listed in the sky digital manual? (I have a panasonic sky digibox)

7. voyager7

voyager7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I have one of these screens, (after having to return 6 of them due to dead pixels, and flickery tuner pictures) and am generally pleased with it. Still has the flickery pics on built in tuner but great when watching dvds, pc input etc. Black levels ok but not the best sound (quite tinny) or remote. My Philips 17" lcd is far superior in all aspects though...