Anyone with knowledge of web/graphic design know what these colour code formats are?

Surebrec

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I emailed the Met Office asking if they could provide the colour codes for the swatches they use on their forecast pages:
colours.PNG

Here's a snippet of the code they provided:

"values": [
{
"color": "0.098, 0.000, 0.098, 1.000",

"value": -60
},

{
"color": "0.196, 0.000, 0.196, 1.000",

"value": -50
},

They stated that these were the RGB values, but this doesn't look like any RGB format I'm familiar with. I thought they might be CMYK, but trying to convert these numbers into CMYK just results in black.

Anyone with knowledge in this area have any ideas?

Don’t really know that much about colour formats but whenever I want to match a colour that another colleague has used I just copy it from their document or even a screenshot, paste it into paint and then use the eyedropper to see what the RGB values are.

Works for what I want but that may be too simplistic for what you are trying to do.

Cheers,

Nigel

You can also see the colour if you hover over in the debugger - e.g.:

1599131061086.png

Which is

1599131096252.png

Just take a screenshot of the image and use a colour picker in an image editing program.

They stated that these were the RGB values, but this doesn't look like any RGB format I'm familiar with. I thought they might be CMYK, but trying to convert these numbers into CMYK just results in black.

Likely just decimal RGBA or HSLA. The examples you've given for -60 and -50 values come out as (25,0,25,100 and 50,0,50,100) as integers - very dark purples in RGBA or greys in HSLA.

I would guess the former is probably correct and those are the colours for extreme low temperatures. Looking at a random image search the Met Office does appear to use blues for lower temperatures.

It is RGB, FR, FG, FB.

Google it and it will explain.

Theyve just copied and pasted from their css

So what's the best way to accurately convert these values from that format to standard RGB?

You can also see the colour if you hover over in the debugger - e.g.:

View attachment 1359731

Which is

View attachment 1359732

I already thought of this, but the ranges they show on a given day are only covering a difference of a few degrees. The values they sent me go from -60 to +50.

Even just selecting the ranges that are most likely to affect the north west, it's still going to be from -4 to -30.

Just take a screenshot of the image and use a colour picker in an image editing program.

Likely just decimal RGBA or HSLA. The examples you've given for -60 and -50 values come out as (25,0,25,100 and 50,0,50,100) as integers - very dark purples in RGBA or greys in HSLA.

I would guess the former is probably correct and those are the colours for extreme low temperatures. Looking at a random image search the Met Office does appear to use blues for lower temperatures.

I can only do that on each specific day though, I am after getting the whole range so I can use them from the start.

So what's the best way to accurately convert these values from that format to standard RGB?

They'll be 0.0 = 0 and 1.0 = 255 so multiplying by 256 should do it. I'm not sure whether you'd have to round or truncate though.

If you show up the values that correspond to the screenshot that'd make it easier to confirm.

I can only do that on each specific day though, I am after getting the whole range so I can use them from the start.

I'd assume there's probably a pattern, they're unlikely to have chosen each shade individually.

They'll be 0.0 = 0 and 1.0 = 255 so multiplying by 256 should do it. I'm not sure whether you'd have to round or truncate though.

If you show up the values that correspond to the screenshot that'd make it easier to confirm.

I'd assume there's probably a pattern, they're unlikely to have chosen each shade individually.

That seems to have done the trick, though some colour colour changes aren't consistent.
colours1.PNG

No big deal, I can tweak them myself.

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom