Anyone with experience of 3 (three) mobile broadband?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by barongreenback, Sep 16, 2007.

1. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Having spend excessive wireless charges in various hotels, I'm wondering if I would be better off paying £10/£15 each month for the 3 mobile broadband package. Does anyone have any experience of this and could offer an opinion? Vodafone and T-Mobile seem horribly overpriced in comparison but would be interested to hear of these too. Thanks.

2. williemaykit

williemaykit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I have access to mobile broadband on my Treo (using the XSeries add-on) and currently getting about 900Kb/s. Most of their base stations have been upgraded to HSDPA (mobile broadband). The ones which have not been upgraded are scheduled for November according to the 3 website. I use the connection for web browsing and push email, which totals about 40 - 100Mb per month.

Personally I haven't tried the modems so I can't comment on that. The packages though look quite attractive. I would check the coverage in the areas that you typically visit with your laptop because if there is no 3 coverage, you may not be able to data roam onto Orange (check this but I know it is true with mobile phones/smartphones)

3. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Actually a bit of a daft question as I've just found out it doesn't formally launch until October but thanks fo the opinion. My main concern is that I was a very early adopter of the 3 network and it was an unmitigated disaster so I don't want to be caught in a 24 month contract with poor service levels. On the mac front, is there an option for accessing broadband through a USB connection to a mobile phone?

4. williemaykit

williemaykit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    It depends on the device really. My Treo can do it by dialling a code on the phone. Not too sure how to do it in OSX but if you have BT then that will be an easier route.