Anyone with a Z2 watched......

WeirdFish

Established Member
Reaction score
Lost in Translation?

If yes, how bad was your VB'ing.

On the opening scene it is shocking on mine. I thought I'd got it to an acceptable level but obviously not :(

Originally posted by WeirdFish
Anyone with a Z2 watched......

No, but I would like to! (is it any good?). Is this the R1 version?

I find vb on the Z2 to be very variable as well – sometimes it suddenly pops up from nowhere – presumably it is due to the state of the disc's transfer/mastering. Have to say I can’t be bothered to tinker at the moment – I just try to ignore it when it does appear!

Great bit of cinema.

Don't watch it if you only like action tho. Its one of those films where nothing actually happens but is very entertaining. I liked it alot.

The picture is quite dull & grainy, thats how it was shot, and as such it is by far the worst VB I have seen with my setup.

I have only tinkered very slightly by changing service 14 I think, and was happy to ignore vb it if it cropped up as it wasnt that bad but this was very noticable.

Didnt detract from the film tho, and I'm guessing anyone who didnt know would think it was an arty film effect added to the shot :)

let you know soon... its winging its way as we speak..

what other/any Z2 tinkering is essential... over standard setup.

Does seem a bit strange that a modern film is giving such bad vb. My experience is that older films tend to be worst. Maybe it really was added to give ambience to the piece :D

I sent my Z2 back. After watching a number of movies I wasn't prepared to put up with the VB after paying a fair amount of cash.

I wouldn't put up with it if I'd bought a TV and saw it.. why should a PJ be any different.

By the way... I saw a Panny 500 the other day and the VB was worse than the Z2 !!

regards

Doc.

well I've only had my Z2 a week, and admittadly I've only had a chance to put some movies through it, but so far vb hasn't been an issue.... watching this space however.

Originally posted by docfeelgood
I sent my Z2 back. After watching a number of movies I wasn't prepared to put up with the VB after paying a fair amount of cash.

I wouldn't put up with it if I'd bought a TV and saw it.. why should a PJ be any different.

regards

Doc.

I agree to a point and if I'd payed 1300 quid for a tv I would expect it to be near the top end of the technology but the same amount on a PJ buys you the latest entry level therefore allowances & compromises have to be made.

The VB isnt bad enough for me to go back to watchin movies on the tv.

:)

I'm still firmly on the fence.

Hopefully I'll demo an H30 soon and I'm asking our IT buyer at work to source me a competitive price on the AE300 / AE500. Just to give me some choices.

But I have to say it's posts like yours weirdfish that keep me on the fence. Not to say your post was bad or negative. Just a reality check :)

The best value for money LCD PJ in my humble opinion at the moment is the AE300 at an amazing £940.

Hardly any VB... although a slightly PJ.

I'm gonna rock the boat a little here and say that the Z2 is not worth the extra £400+

I've demoed the AE300 and AE500, owned a Z2 and demoed an HS20.

The HS20 is the best LCD PJ I've seen.... but for £940 the 300 is a an absolute steal.

Don't be fooled by the latest models. I think the Epson panels on the AE500 and Z2 are flawed. You shouldn't have to mess around with service settings to get rid of VB.... I don't care if the PJ is classed as 'budget' or 'entry level'.

Make an even better compromise.... if you have money to spare... buy an HS20. If you don't buy an AE300 and use what you would have wasted on a Z2/AE500 to buy lots of lager, DVD's and a better screen.

:)

cheers

Doc.

errr..

this line 'Hardly any VB... although a slightly PJ'

should be '..... although a slightly soft picture'

best regards

Doc

Luckily I got mine via the pre-order thing so didnt pay full wack :)

I have to say that I would probably still get a Z2 at the price I paid as it has the lens shift. Without it, my install would have been a little more arkward.

A top end Merc & a poverty model Vauxhall do the same basic job, just that the Merc does it with less rattles. Extreme I know but just to dramatise my point ;)

BTW, I tried very hard to afford a HS20 :(

Yes, I would still go for a Z2. Couldn’t justify spending c.£2000+ when projector technology advances so quickly.

Like all things vb is a big problem to some whereas others aren’t so bothered by it – a bit like the AE300’s soft picture!

IMO both problems pale into insignificance compared to dlp rainbows – surely highly unusual to have a product on the market (besides pot noodles :D ) that can actively make you ill!

Originally posted by Quatermass

IMO both problems pale into insignificance compared to dlp rainbows – surely highly unusual to have a product on the market (besides pot noodles :D ) that can actively make you ill!

agreed.

:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom