1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone with a wood finish SVS out there?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by galewis1, Nov 22, 2004.

1. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm very close to ordering a PB12-Plus. I'd never get away with a cylinder due to the black sock. The missus insists on a wood finish.

Now, we have a natural rustic style oak floor, and I'm trying to match which finish of the four that SVS offer, will match, or nicely contrast my floor. I think it's the 'american antique' finish that I'll go for, but I was wondering if anyone else had a wood finish SVS? Any colour will do tbh, if you can provide a photo because I would at least be able to see the difference between a real life photo and the sample on the SVS website. That would at least give me an approximation of how different the website sample is to 'real life'. The mecury red finish on the PB12-Plus on the SVS website is a production sample so I'm not sure how close to the real thing it really is.

Another thing.... the size.... Sweet mother of Jesus of all that's good and pure.... 25 inches deep, the same high, and 19 inches wide.... :eek: Workmanship had better be as good as they make out.

Last point. This thing has three ports at the back. Does that mean it should be set away from the walls? SVS suggest corner placement? This confuses me? I'd like to put it in the corner. If I have to set it away from the walls it'll look even more imposing.

Prompt opinions would be appreciated as I'd really like to have it with me by Christmas.

Thanks

Gary

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    No chance, SVS aren't doing wood finishes atm, as they're sourcing new finishes/colours options. Earliest I guess you'll see them is early next year (this is speculation on my part, but I think they've been run off their feet with the PB-10)...

So it's a choice of a big ugly box or an even uglier dustbin :smashin: They do sound stunning though, so maybe just sell the wife? :D

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    A simple image search produced a couple of thumbnails but the files and websites couldn't be found.

I've seen loads of great images of the wood finish SVS subs (and links to owner's HT websites) on "Home Theatre Forum-Speakers". If you join that forum you should have access to the image links posted within threads.

The wood finish may look superb. But remember that a blonde always looks bigger than a brunette when you finally get her home! :devil:

Nimby

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Maybe where you come from;)

5. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Gary - have you considered the PB12 Plus/2 as well? For only another $99 you get another 400 watts of amplification and twin 12" drivers :eek: It also weighs another 30lb, and is deeper still which may be an issue for you if size matters :devil:

Your question about walls is a good one, and it depends how close of course, and what is covering the wall, and how may ports you intend to block. I have mine about a foot from the wall, and have curtains behing it, and it is absolutely fine.

It is going to impose :eek: either way of course, unless you are proposing camouflage of some kind - do you have a tent? :D

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just a quick update,

We should be shipping updated/slightly revised PB12-plus/2, PB12-ultra/2, PB12-ultra and PB12-plus models with a nice selection of wood veneering soon. I'd say 45-90 days for sure for all 4 of those.

Tom V.

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    PB-12 Plus in wood finishes? Sounds great, and no doubt a more affordable alternative to the PB-12 Ultra. Tom, what's the pricing likely to be?

Cheers
    Matt

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Matt,

We are just finishing up the final details on these...so we probably won't get the final quote from each manufacturer for a couple of weeks yet. A *rough* guess would put the wood finish option as a $250-500 upcharge for each model. We will make every attempt to stay as close as possible to the bottom end of that...but wood veneering gets very expensive on large enclosures like this.

Tom V.

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Tom- A question forwarded from my Dad who is a quasi religious castle loudspeaker owner. If he were to supply the required amount of matching veneer to his compacts, would a custom build be possible for a surcharge?

10. Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    What is PB12-Ultra? I believe that is a typo, but hey, that would be a sweet model! :smashin:

11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
  12. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  13. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    eh? :confused:

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I think the confusion is between the Ultra and Ultra/2

The PB12 Ultra/2 has two Ultra drivers, whereas the PB12 Ultra will have one Ultra driver. I believe the PB12 Ultra has been on the wishlist of many for quite some time now.

15. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    People with deep pockets, loadsa room and understanding partners/single:D

16. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I mailed SVS a few days ago who said that they might still have 1 PB12-Plus left before the new stock arrives. I could just about fit this monster in a space in the corner of my room, but there would only be a few inches clearance for the rear ports and I'm worried that this will bugger up the sound. :confused:

I've mailed SVS again today to seek their opinion. If this turns out to be a no-goer, I'll be gutted. I need to have a wood finish in oak (american antique was close enough) or a really nice gloss black laquer. I need superb bass with music and movies (primarily music say 70/30 spit) and I need it to be no more that around £850. Any other suggestions? The money is burning a hole in my pocket. I would also consider second hand.

Gary

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Rule out that SVS then, PB-2 Pluses come in around £950-£980 afaik...