1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone with a Toshiba 32 LCD please look in.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Jed, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Jed

Jed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I really need to know what this LCd looks like rigged up properly.

Why i ask is that in the showrooms it always looks blocky. Now i know that they themselves do not use the best way to set it up, but the other set's like Plasma and CRT look crystal Clear.

So if anyone who has a Toshiba 32" LCD please could you give me some idea before i waste my money.

It's just way too much money to shell out for something not as good as my old trusty Sony CRT.

Cheers Jed.

2. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Jed,
    I have had the 32WL46 since mid August. Previously I have had a 40" rear pro Tosh set, various CRT sets and finally plumped for this LCD as I wanted the space saving idea of a flat panel and the better resolution offered by a LCd as opposed to a plasma.

I have SKY + and a progressive scan DVD, Playstation 2 and a PC rigged up to my set and I have been very pleased with it. I don't notice blocking on DVD's and generally not with Sky. That said, some Sky channels are poorer than others and I would be lying if I said I didn't occasionally see pixellation/blocking, but this is a small price to pay for the features/connections that this set offers.

To my eye the set delivers a great picture and I haven't noticed any motion blurring, it seems to cope happily with all I have put through it so far....

Hope this is of some use......

3. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info im still toying with the idea of getting a Tosh LCD, reading reviews from mags its not really painting a great picture about them but a hands on, owners views seems to be the best way to go about the truth, problem is now got to persuade the girlfriend it will look the biz and it's not that much GULP! :devil:

4. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Most of the reviews I've read were pretty favourable, that's why after agonising for the past couple of years whether to go plasma or lcd I finally plumped for the Tosh set.

I haven't seen a poor review of the 46 series sets, that wasn't quite the case for the previous model the 36 series, are you sure you're reading the right reviews?

I just wish I'd known they were bringing out the 48 series.....but you have to dive in at some stage and I'm still well pleased with mine.

5. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it must have been the 36 series i have been reading about, well im off to get a bottle of good wine and cook the other half a meal then break the news that a LCD tv has to be bought ..

6. Kells

Kells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I have ordered a Toshiba LCD the 32WL36. I know there is a 46 and a soon to be 48 but I have to take the plunge eventually. Like you Jed I have a trusty old CRT (Panasonic) but it is quite old now.

Flashman you said,

"that wasn't quite the case for the previous model the 36 series, are you sure you're reading the right reviews?"

It is the 32WL36 set I have ordered. Oh have I made a big mistake :oops: ? Like everyone, price, brand, looks etc are all factors, I thought I was getting a good brand name at a good price. Can anyone give me comments about the 36. Will it be better than my old Panasonic CRT and or will it be a poor grainy picture ?.

I can only find the reviews in home cinema from this website. All three reviews (look like copies of each other) give the 36 four stars from 5 for picture, but also say it is a little grainy. In my books four stars should be pretty good. However I have not seen a 36 swithed on, so I am a little worried.

Oh I am worried, money down the drain. Or can anyone give me some confidence that the 36 although not the latest is still a good set.

Thanks and sorry to have rambled on in my first post.

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    If you bought from the net then distance selling regs apply, so you can send it back no questions asked.

8. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You have to dive in at some stage, there will always be something newer/better etc just around the corner whether it's a tv, a car or a washing machine and you can guarantee it will be out of date by the time you've unpacked it....

I read reviews of the 36 series, some were 3 stars mainly for the 32" model which actually only a 15:9 ratio set and only 30" screen size, despite the 32 name, the 26" model faired a little better....

I decided to wait for the 46 series which all had good reviews, also true 16:9 and 32" visible size.

That said, I didn't know the 48 series was imminent, so as I say, you have to start somewhere!
    That said

9. Jed

Jed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Well...

I bought one. :)
    I got it from Powerhouse.
    Price £1620 That includes 5 year Warranty and free delivery if it is not there by Monday.

I looked in to the Warranty after concerns regaurding them selling out twice in a year and people being left without cover.
    They told me and showed me that the warranty is underwritten by Sun Allianz (I think it's sun) and showed me the document.
    I took with me.
    Armageddon dts dvd-r This started excellent, but, during the first few minute's with the CGI it was juddrering. I put this down to the Player as it froze the machine. :lol: (Yes it kaput the player.)
    Star Wars (Empire Strikes Back) Retail... Played flawlessly.
    The down side was that they did not have a arriel connection, so could not check T.V.

I have it on 7 Days home Approval,but can only trade back for something else in store. If need be there was a brilliant Sony Plasm there, but £300 more.

Also 9 month's no payment interest free.

So to me that's beat everything on the net and they were a great bunch.

Will update this thread when i get it up and running.

Jed.

10. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I bought my 26" 46, only for a week later to read in a mag about the 48 with hdmi. Now I find out that I could have bought the 32" 48 for the same money! so i know exactly how you feel. That's the problem with technology. You either sit back and wait til evryone ahs one and not get burnt.....still, I had thought the 46 was supposed to be a brand new model!? how a newer cheaper model can be out so soon..... :rolleyes:

11. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I don't want to put a spanner in the works, but the 36 got quite poor reviews in most mags. Might be worth reconsidering unless you've seen the PQ and are happy with it, or you're getting it cheap. :)

12. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going to hold out for the 48 series :D

13. Kells

Kells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GrahamC, thanks. I did return the 32WL36 TV under distance selling regs. Not quite the no questions asked. A little chat with the local Trading Standards, letter etc to my credit card company and yes eventually I got the cash back today. I did have to pay return postage, no problem I expected this. However I did not expect that the supplier's courier would not turn up on three agreed occasions to collect the tv.

Anyway, I consider this a lucky escape. I am now back with my trusty 14 year old Panasonic. Will have to start the looking all over again. Lesson learned is for me to read more reviews and actually see the TV on before I buy.

Thanks for all advice
    Regards
    Kells