1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone with a spare ten mins?!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by CraigHolt, Aug 2, 2005.

1. CraigHolt

CraigHolt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've finally takent the plunge and ordered my home cinema gear this afternoon. Panasonic 42PV500, Pioneer Dvd 575, Pioneer Amp VSXC502, and Mourdant Short Genie Speakers. Im fairly happy with the selection! I decided I could spend the next few months umming and arrring about all the multitude of different equally good options and worrying about what might be released in the next few months - so just went for it.
    Now however the real work starts!
    I also have a sky plus box and a playstation 2 to wire into the system. I know I need to buy decent wires/cables and Im sure I can look into which cable is the best within my budget etc... BUT what I don't feel confident about is how to wire the whole thing up?! Is the gist of it that everything goes into my amp and then my amp into my plasma via compenent out? I suspect it is not going to be that easy? If any of the many wise men (and ladies) on this forum could spare a moment of their time and help me with how to connect: plasma, amp, dvd, speakers, ps2 and sky plus then I will be enternally in that persons debt!!!
    Thanks,
    A hopeful new member!

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i think with that amp its all scarts in and a single scart out to the screen. Audio inputs are optical and coax and you just match up with appropriate video (scart) input. Speakers are simple spring clips for bare wire.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
  4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    As far as the PS2 is concerned I would just get a fully wired RGB scart, nice and easy.

Or you could get a component cable, but as you bought an amp with no component switching you would have to go into the plasma direct and run optical into the amp, you need to change both the channel on the TV and the amp input then every time you want to use it.

5. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Er, the 585 hasn't got HDMI, and it's preety crap, i bought one and took it back next day, terible picture through component.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I don't know mate, I stopped looking at dvd players when I SDI'd mine.
    I was just going from the spec on that site in the links, now I see it has a pic of the connections and under HDMI it says - 0.

Thanks for pointing that out though, I would have felt a right tit if he had swapped it! :)

7. CraigHolt

CraigHolt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys! Fotunately I didn't run out and swap my DVD player! From the millions of reviews I had read the 575 def seemed like the best option in my 3k-ish total budget.
    I'm still not entirely clear about cables? MEP says all scart in and then single scart out. I was under the impression that component out was the best connection for my DVD player to plasma? Does what was said about the amp not having component switching mean I have to wire my DVD directly to my plasma to get the benefit of the prog. scan and component output?
    :confused:

8. rickyb1974

rickyb1974
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's right - Use component between dvd and plasma (and also some stereo phono cables so you can have dvd sound from the plasma should the need arise)

Then use RGB Scarts for the Sky and PS2 to the amp, and have 1 Scart out from the amp to the plasma (make sure you use the RGB out on the amp - I think of the 2 Scart outs, only 1 is RGB enabled)

You can then put in an optical audio cable from the Sky+ to the amp, and I think you may have to assign the audio in for the Sky input on the amp to take the digital signal, not the stereo one coming through the Scart.

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I didn't think the amp had compenent out...if not go dvd to screen via component if you got the right board...but remember the screen is prog scan anyway so will deinterlace whatever you send it that needs it.

10. CraigHolt

CraigHolt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - soooo...
    Component direct between plasma and tv. (1 cable)
    RGB scarts in to amp. RGB scart out from amp to tv. (3 more cables)
    Optical audio cable sky plus to amp (1 more cable)
    Then leads out from amp to speakers. (what kind should these be?)
    And then is that it? No more connections needed? I always see these home setups with millions of wires everywhere!!
    I want to be sure I fully understand it to avoid getting ripped off by some sales assistant telling me I need 8m of this cable at £100p/m and 7m of this etc...!!

p.s. Im not sure I understood what you were saying about having to "assign the audio in for the sky input on the amp to take the digital signal not the stero one coming through the scart"???????

Thanks for all the help. Anyone ever need some free legal advice - give me a shout!

Craig
    (yes, lawyer!)

11. rickyb1974

rickyb1974
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The scart from the sky box to the amp carries both picture and analogue audio. If you then connect a digital audio cable from the sky box to the amp then you will effectively have 2 audio inputs from the same source - obviously you can only listen to one, so you'll have to programme the amp so that when the 'sky' input is selected, it accepts the picture from the scart input, the audio from the optical input, and disregards the analogue audio.

As far as how much to spend on cables - well I'd probably spend about £150 to hook up all that gear, but it's up to you!

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DVD>TV Component+ Coaxial
    PS2> AMP RGB scart + Optical
    Sky+>AMP RGB Scart + Optical
    AMP>TV component

Simple

13. CraigHolt

CraigHolt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Have been out and bought all my cables. Cost me about £250 but seems worth it from ppls observations about the potential benefits. Still have to buy the amp->speaker cables.
    I bought the cables before getting hornydragon's post. I went to Richer sounds leicester and followed their advice too. I didn't get the optical sky->amp and got scart amp to tv as opposed to compenent amp to tv. Should I replace the scart amp-tv with another compenent to tv? I assume the answer is going to be yes. And I should also add a further optical to link sky plus to amp and then programme the amp accordingly to ignore the analogue sound? Is that easy to do?

Don't know what I would have ended up with without this forum. Suspect I am on a slippery slope now to constant upgrades and a perpetually ****** off girlfriend!! Explaining 2.5k on a plasma was one thing, telling her the "wires" cost over £250 and that I have more to buy was more tricky!! "whats wrong with the ones in the box?".... she's sat in the other room now not speaking to me!! Still - ive got a home cinema to put together... ;-)

14. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    If your amp has an optical input then get an optical cable for sky box. Connect to the optical out on Sky+ box. This is the only way you will receive Dolby Digital sound when watching Sky movies otherwise it will be in plain old Pro logic11.

She'll get over it!! Shes probably thinking how many carats £2k would have bought :rotfl:

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PIty you went to richer sounds www.tvcables.co.uk could have furnished you with all the cables you need for far less than £250, £100 is what i would have guessed at depending on lengths................

16. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :hiya:
    Ah but think about all the money he will get from chargin for these conversations...

..You do know that lawyers charge for EVERYTHING don't you? even when you are doing something for them :smashin:

Only kidding Craig - good luck with your system and it's nice to know we have some more Legal expertise around here :hiya:

17. CraigHolt

CraigHolt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem stroppygoblin... oh, and that'll be £300 please... ;-)

Will post some pics when I have it all set up. Very excited!