1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone with a Philips 9986 37inch LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MattDJ, Feb 7, 2005.

1. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you tell me if it hums when the contrast is set below 97% like my 32" does???

2. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    mine dosnt , very quiet

3. Ricardfred

Ricardfred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine doesnt either. Have tried various settings eventhough I leave my contrast set at 100 as I like the brightness and clarity of that.

4. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 37" is quiet at all levels of Contrast - but I do get some "tizzing" on the Amblight (not enough to spoil my enjoyment of the TV - and I have reduced it by careful Ambilight setting). I use the setting of 63 for Contrast, which appears to be optimal for most viewing.

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Contrast at 100! Jings. Sure, this brightens things up, Ricardfred, but that's the problem! With the contrast set at this level the backlight is on full chat. This has a terrible effect on both black level and detail during dark scenes.

Don't you find that if the screen is displaying, say, a nighttime scene, or a dark room that the whole screen just looks like a grey wash, perhaps with patches of overexposed white?

Do yourself a favour, take off the sunglasses, pop the Contrast down to, at most, 70 and appreciate the view.

By the way, the magic figure for the contrast is 63, as this is the point at which the backlight is at its lowest setting but still maintaining excellent contrast. A lower backlight setting is possible with the 'Club9986 Magic Tweak'... :smashin:

6. MattDJ

MattDJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whats this "'Club9986 Magic Tweak"??? Just incase the Philips engineer cant do anything for my 32" with possibly back light probs...

7. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the magic 63 number for contrast actually apply to the 37 and 42 inch 9986's? I ask because I believ I've read that the 32 inch uses a sharp LCD panel whereas the 37 and 42 use a Philips/LG ones. The backlight is an integral part of the LCD panel isn't it so may well differ and have different responses?

8. Ricardfred

Ricardfred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Inventor that you may have a point. When I tried Jimsans 63 setting I found the picture dull and lacking the 3d feel. I am now very happy with my settings and anyone who sees my tv is gobsmacked at the picture. No problems with blacks. I will however try the 63 setting again tonight and try and make a more subjective comparison. Anyone else with the 37" try different settings?

9. Camillo

Camillo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It might be pretty easy to tell if 63 is the right setting. At least on the 32PF9986, the few last steps down towards 63 cause a clearly visible decrease in light output. If the 37PF9986 behaves the same, just step down on contrast one level at the time. The decrease in light is not constant, and there is a "knee" right between 63 and 62.