Anyone with a Philips 9527?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by greenthumb, Jul 7, 2002.

1. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone out there has bought a Philips 9527 Pix+ set recently. I am interested in any comments on the set as there seems to be very little info. on the net about it. Does anyone know whether it is the same as a 9617 but minus the 5.1?
    Also, does it come with the Philips or Panny tube? Finally does anyone know where i can look at one in the south coast area.
    Cheers

2. btuckey

btuckey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'greenthumb',

I responded to an earlier post about this subject. I have also sent an e-mail to one of the mags as follows. Hope it helps!

Quote:
    I was very interested to read the post from Andy Fox in the July Video Mail column entitled: ‘Is Philips being dishonest?’. We have had a similar thread running on the AV Forums site. (www.avforums.com/ > Televisions & Plasma displays > Panasonic tubes in Philips P+.) As I have been intending to purchase a 32PW9527, I telephoned Philips this morning to get the full story. As expected, the initial contact at the Care Centre didn’t know what I was talking about so I asked to be put through to somebody who did. I was then duly put through to a 'product manager'. He told me that they were shipping the 32PW9527 with a mixture of Panasonic and Cybertubes in order to get product onto the shelves. I was then subjected to a diatribe on how you couldn't tell the difference between the two tubes! Having pointed out the findings of this forum and the fact that the press release clearly stated that the 9527 would be shipped with the Cybertube he went very defensive and told me to contact Philips' press office. He said: "We are only the help desk you need to contact Philips". I thought that was what I was doing!! In another recent press release, Philips waxed lyrically on how their new tube was a quantum leap in technology and performance etc. etc. Now we are told that the performance is identical to the existing Panasonic Quintrix F's. They can’t have it both ways!
    Unquote:

Brian

3. bango

bango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned this set for three weeks now based on Philips official response to the tube controversy.I sell a high end brand of television for a living and was hoping for great things from Cybertube/Pixelplus.
    The geometry and convergence is excellent but after constant experiments and adjustment I cannot get a believable image with Sky Digital.Pixel Plus gives an artificial texture and grain to all surfaces and 100hz Digital scan is far more natural.The constant sharp to smooth transition of the processing is annoying.I have tried the purist all off test disc mode and the Philips have faith all on settings with limited success.
    The manual states that Double Lines mode is preferable for 60hz and NTSC yet this option is disabled and replaced with Progressive Scan or Pixel Plus only when fed these signals.I wonder why progressive Scan isnt even mentioned in the manual?
    The tube itself has a couple of vertical bars on the outer edges of the screen which show up when light images are displayed.
    this set certainly beats the dreadfull Panasonic/Toshiba abominations but I expected more from Philips.

4. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bango Does your set have the panny tube or the cyber?
    I too have had lengthy time wasting calls to philips and have been given a reference no. to quote when I phone again. I believe they have found someone who knows what they are talking about to explain to me why the tubes are completely different but the same:confused: I doubt if I will get any further than anyone else has on this forum but they must be getting a little p****d of with our calls:cool:
    I was planning to purchase a 9617 about a month ago until I read this forum. Now im bloody clueless on what set to buy.
    Is it worth me waiting until all sets contain cyber tubes or shall I take the gamble.....decisions decisions......:mad: