Anyone with a ISF calibrated TH-50PHW6?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Likvid, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you have had your Panasonic TH-50PHW series calibrated by a ISF calibrator, please share you settings here as it would help other people owning this plasma.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  3. daniel.godfrey

daniel.godfrey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a TH50PHD6 calibrated by Gordon.

Picture looks fantastic on component but a bit too juddery for football on DVI using the iScan HD.

I don't think my settings will help you as they are calibrated for the room, the inputs and the individual plasma.

Anyhow, G-d knows how much you've spent already, just have the calibration done for 250 quid.

You know it makes sense.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The settings are indeed individual to sources and environment. Daniel has a scaler too, so the settings will be dependent on that as well. His settings will be useless to you, not even a starting point, unless he sends you the paint chart and the services of his DW to decorate for you too.

5. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Do you beleive in that yourself or are you afraid of losing business?

Of course they are individual but they are a good starting point, i wouldn't say it's useless, i would call it you are afraid of losing business.

I have checked other forums and the difference is not that big.

I thought this forum was to help each other out....

So, anyone willing to share their settings for other owners of the 50" Panny?

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Me losing business? I don't do ISF, I'm not qualified and don't have the kit. I have no interest in this at all in terms of money. I'm particularly not afraid of losing your business, not exactly local are you. You should also note that I'm chiefly known here for speaking my mind and damn the consequences, as you say this is a forum for helping each other. Your best way forward is to get some THX glasses, and a copy of Digital Video Essentials. I do believe you can narrow the gap between your screen and an ISF calibration with that. Closer that someone else's settings in fact, especially someone in another country. Your TV comes from a different satellite, recieved by a different box. There is no way a UK screen will come close to yours.

7. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Only difference between EX and BX lies in the PSU unit.

I already have the DVE and Peter Finzler DVD and it works pretty good, better than nothing at all.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Difference in source is huge as is connection the ISF settings for RGBHV on D-sub using a JS converter and YUV on the RGBHV/YUV board are hugely different, age of screen ambient light and location all effect the settings...........

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    And as you are in argumentative mood, how about a little thing called 'intellectual property'. Just supposing anyone else's settings were any use to you, that person has spent £250 to acquire that information. Why should they give that to you, and how does that make the calibrator feel? They could potentially have you prosecuted for theft. Bit like pirating music, in fact just like it.

10. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I think your attitude stinks a bit there. You are talking as if it your god given right that someone who has invested their hard earned in a ISF calibration give you their settings!!

Not satisfied with that, you then see fit to have a pop at Maw because you obviously do not understand what an ISF involves and that someone elses settings are useless to you.

Save up your giro money and pay for your own calibration!!!

11. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You fall into the intellectual property yourself just as we speak as you have already answered the question you already said no to... :rolleyes:

Not losing business, yeah right :rolleyes:

12. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Then i suggest you to not to ask for any help at all in this forum and we can close the whole forum if that is your intention.

13. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    There is a difference between asking for help, and demanding someone give you their settings which will be of no help. Change your attitude and approach and use the forum as it was intended.

Better still lets all make demands of yourself and see if you like that approach........

Does anyone want anything of Likvids.... go on demand it he won't mind..... LMAO!!!!

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,111
    If you had the same equipment as another user who has their device calibrated then there is a chance that you may be able to use their settings and gain a more accurate picture....however you'd want to know the details of all the settings in the sources as well as the display.

Once there is a scaler involved I would forget it as you're starting to use to many variables.

Here's my top tips just now....

Set the plasma to CINEMA. Press NORMALISE button. Turn down sharpness a tad. Choose your temperature of choice....probably find middle one most acceptable.
    Adjust brightness and contrast and colour using your test discs.....but I suspect you've probably already done all that.

Gordon

15. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Gordon!

Thanks for helping out. :)

I have received an Excel sheet with the ISF calibrated and non-calibrated values for the TH-50PHD6EX and will see what i can do.

Anyone who is interested could PM me for details.

People like you are making the world better. :smashin:

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Ah, the man whose intellectual property you are after, generous and magnanimous as always. Livkid, how many guys who you openly try to steal from will come back with some help for you?

17. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Your only reason for being here is to generate sales as you proved.

Your definition of stealing is remarkable, how can stealing be sharing?

If someone is sharing their settings, you claim it's stealing!

Read my first topic, "please share you settings here as it would help other people owning this plasma."

I said share...

With your attitude you will end up with no sales, i can guarantee you that.

18. swall101

swall101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Tell that to the music and film industries who take a different view on people 'sharing'.

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'll bear your business advice in mind, Livkid. Never sell anything to anyone who won't pay for it.

Actually, I sell little to forum members, they don't need me. I sell mostly to folks who can't be bothered to work it out for themselves, nor choose their equipment. However, there are some discerning forum folk with an install from me, I sincerely hope none of them feel ripped off.

As to 'stealing' and 'sharing', it's been proved many times, ask one of the lawyers who frequent the forum. If I 'share' computer data with someone which is the 'intellectual property' of another, I and the sharer would be guilty of theft, just like the Kazaa users who are now being prosecuted. Many people get around this morally by saying the music stars whose property they are 'sharing' are so rich it does not hurt them. I think in the case of ISP calibration, you do it because the subject fascinates you, not to get rich. £250 per day is not riches to anyone here. I have no problem with you disagreeing with me over this, the world would be a poorer place if we never argued a point. Perhaps we should take legal advice on this, just so one of us could admit they were wrong. I'll be happy to publically admit this if I am.

20. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Gordon.

My settings below compared to ISF setting on HD-15 input, RGBHV:

My setting/ISF Setting
    --------------------------------------------
    PICTURE MODE Standard Cinema
    PICTURE 8 0
    BRIGHTNESS -8 5
    COLOR -4 -2
    TINT(NTSC signal applied) 0 -2
    SHARPNESS 0 0
    COLOR TEMP Normal Warm
    COLOR MANAG. Off Off

ADV. SETTINGS (ON)

BLACK EXT. 0 0
    INPUT LEVEL -7 0
    W/B HIGH R 0 0
    W/B HIGH B 0 4
    W/B Low R 0 -3
    W/B Low B 0 -3
    GAMMA 2.2 2.2
    AGC Off Off

How correct are these do you think?

21. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +350
    Having had a calibration done by gordon, I can only say that there is no substitute to actually have a pro do the work for you.

All though basicly the same, all displays are set up in the factory differently before they are shiped out. Having an expert who has 1) the experince 2) the knowledge .3) the correct eqipment do the job is going to give you better results than just using some one elses settings. sure it may improve the picture, but for the sake of £250 , on a display that has cost a lot of money, it is worth the cost.

My hat of to gordon who was friendly, polite, profesional, did a great job, and even put up with me bothering him via personal messages on the forum when I had some other issues( Not isf related) :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

And lets all keep the posts friendly guys, do we really want to turn a post about settings in to one about theft and piracy? :( ;)

22. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    FYI: There are no ISF service in Sweden, I think that Likvid and many others Swedes would be happy to pay £250 to get our plasma/TV/projector properly calibrated. But that's not an option. May I suggest a scandinavian vacation this summer Gordon? ;)

23. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,111
    Well I'm not going to give it all away but I can give you some info here about how the plasma works and how I do calibrations on that particular model....remember all are different

The USER menu figures that you have posted settings from are global offsets applied to other settings that are loaded up in the background based on incoming scan rates and signal types. In order for a calibration to be accurate when done in the USER menu it is necessary for all the hidden service settings to be adjusted to same picture measurement in the factory.

IE If you send a [email protected] component signal to the plasma it loads up calibrated settings in a memory bank called Y525P. If you send it [email protected] it loads up Y625P bank....send it NTSC or pal and it loads up NTSC and PAL memories....send it [email protected] and it loads up WVGA memory, send it 1024x768 and it loads up XGA memory...etc..each of which is going to have different RGB drive and cut off settings and position and contrast etc. The USER settings are offsets applied to these background settings.

Regarding colour temperature. You could use the WARM settings and add blue etc to get to D65 or you could use a NORMAL temp and reduce blue/add red or whatever and probably end up with the same settings temperature or CIE co-ordinates.......

It's possible that with only one scan rate coming in or perhaps a couple then using the USER menu's only you can get an accurate calibration (I have done this before myself I think). However I currently prefer to use the service menu of the plasma and adjust all the paramaters there (where appropriate) to make sure that with the USER menu as near default as possible you have a calibrated image. Some settings like Sharpness need to be adjusted in the USER menu.

I can say that there are some settings in your posted settings that I would not have ended up with....that is not to say they are wrong just that I am pretty sure I would not have got those results.

Gordon

24. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,111
    Tomas: Build it and I will come....already I have plans for a Norway tour....Get some friends together nearby and I'll see what I can do

Gordon

25. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey Gordon, how much will you charge total for coming to the Nordic region?

Regarding the Excel sheet that is the values i have, there isn't any more in the sheet than i have posted in this thread.

26. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,111
    The price for me to come depends on numbers. More means the travel is shared out evenly and you get a reduced rate if lots of you are in same area......which inicidentally is the same in UK. IE if your neighbour wants a calibration and I can do them both same day then I'll do a cost reduction.

Gordon

27. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok, Tomas lives close to the Northern Pole and i live in the South of Sweden so there is a huge distance between us, takes 1,5 hrs by airplane from my place to him.

28. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I thought that ISF calibration also involved going into the Service menu and resetting stuff like grey scale etc, the stuff most folk dont have a clue about.
    Anyway Gordon your Demo at the edinburgh show was easily the best reason for going.

29. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,111
    Tkanks for the kind comments.

likvid....that sounds like an expensive calibration then,,,,

Gordon

30. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have plans for a norway tour. Wow you made my day now. Where are you gooing when you are comming to norway. I live in geilo wich is right in the middle between oslo and Bergen. Four hour drive from each place ( 240 km ) Please tell me that you are comming that way, i have a panna pd 30 that i am not pleased with and i will be buying the new 40 series (fujitsu) when it comes to stores in norway. So where are you going in norway.