Anyone with a AVC-A11XVA????

L

Lizard_1980

Hi all!

I am a relatively new member to this site and was wondering if any of you out there have one of these Denon amps?

I am in the process of upgrading my entire AV system and have ordered one, but subject to any advice, I could always cancel!!

I am thinking of running it with a Denon DVD 3930, a Pio 5000EX and a KEF5007.2 speaker system. I'm thinking of using high-end Ixos HDMI leads and QED speaker and sub cables.

Any advice or comments appreciated

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
Hi, welcome to the forums.:)

Don't know what your previous experience is but I can't see you being dissapointed in the slightest. Hell of an amp, hell of a player and good supporting kit. If you do get stuck, this is the place to ask.

J

jackal

Well I am extremely happy with mine. I don't use the amplification though as I have off board power amps. The processing side is the most impressive aspect of this product, I have not found anything that pulls as much detail out of soundtracks. Surround steering equally impressive. Not many processors out there use 3 32bit DSPs!

Audyssey room correction is another matter, it requires a fair few runs to get it right and no matter what you may still have to do some manual calibration. Get it right though and the results are fantastic. A lot of info on here to help.The bass management of audyssey is its strongest feature IMO.

The scaler is OK, but I would check against your PDP-5000ex as the screen may have the better scaler.

I would say buy with confidence.

I cannot comment on your speaker system as I have not heard them. I use Ixos and Chord HDMI cables both very good quality.

L

Lizard_1980

Thanks to cable monkey and jakal for the replies. :thumbsup: Its always difficult to know if you've made good choices no matter how many magazines you read and demo's you have, so it's always nice to get opinions from people who have experience of the same or similar hardware.

Jakal - could you enlighten me about this Audyssey system?? If its something to do with speaker positioning, the KEF's have the Uni-Q technology so precise placement in any given environment is not of paramount importance - or so they claim!

J

jackal

Audyssey is a calibaration and room correction system. The AVC-A11XVA comes with a microphone for 'autosetup' of speaker size, distance - Audyssey is part of this sytem which goes much further however measuring the in room response of your speakers and basically setting the amps output frequencies to best suit the sonic characteristics of your room. For an in depth information it is best to look at the Audyssey web site http://www.audyssey.com/ for more information. Look at the Audyssey MutliEq XT section as this is what comes with the unit.

L

Lizard_1980

Great info - thanks Jakal! I didn't even know the amp had this feature! I have printed some stuff off their website to read before I get the amp.

BTW - how do you find your Sony V-Series? Was thinking of getting a 32 incher for my kitchen but I've been slightly swayed towards the Hitachi 32LD8700U since I saw it in a shop and it looked fantastic.

J

jackal

The V series is OK - more than good enough for an everyday TV. Couple of issues with it though, motion smearing and poor SD performance. Unfortunately I can only compare with my Pio 506 which I consider a truly great screen (not a fair comparison given the price difference). It is quite good with DVD and HD though.

L

Lizard_1980

No - not really all that fair is it!!

I guess i might just go with the Hitachi since i'm only using it for SD. The only HD it will get is whatever the Sky box feeds it through the ring main but it will be 80-90% SD which the Hitachi handles really well. Have never thought much of the brand personally but I was really impressed with its performance and apparantly it's the most sold brand of TV in Japan which can't be a bad recommendation!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom