anyone who has upgraded from AE100 to AE700...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mince bigalow, Oct 26, 2004.

1. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... I have a few questions as I am very seriously considering a move from my lovely AE100 to a nice new AE700. So if anyone could give their opinion on the following points I'd greatly appreciate it :)

1) The 700 is meant to be a lot quieter, is this true and is there a vast improvement (I'm running on low lamp and would do with an ae700)?

2) Is the increase in resolution noticeable on normal DVD material and 720p XBOX?

3) The black levels are very important to me, how much is this improved?

4) Any other changes worth noting

5) Generally is the AE700 worth selling my AE100 for and putting up another £800-900 for?

Thank you for any help.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll let others answer 1-4 but...

...pretty much depends on your disposable income :D .

Yes, the AE700 is better in every department but ultimately, can you afford £8/900??

HS50/51 seems to be the one!!!!!!!

:smoke:

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    having had an ae100 for 18 months i then upgraded to a ae500 (just died), the difference was huge, my friend got a ae700 last week and compared to the 500 its even better.

1. the fan is almost inaudible in low mode much quieter than the 100

2. the resolution is one of the most noticable improvements, it gives a much more solid picture , colours are more vibrant and everthing looks brighter. plus yu can run true 720p hi def modes, xbox looks amazing running the few games that support 720p and still looks great running 525p in ntsc.

3. Blacklevels are greatly improved with the dynamic iris, i thought they looked good on the 500 but the 700 makes the 500's blacks look washed out.

4. Lens shift is one of the reasons i wanted to upgrade (apart from the fact that my 3month old 500 has just died) and the front fan vent is supposed to cool the unit better reducing heat soak damage and other nastiness.

5. In my opinion its well worth the extra to upgrade, just depends how happy you are with your 100 and how much spare cash you have, if you see a 700 running you will want one immediately i know i did and i'd only just bought my 500.

Be aware of panasonics shabby customer service though, if your lucky enough to get a good solid unit you may never have to travel that dark path .