1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone watched Sin City on a DLP?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Solomon Grundy, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    I am thinking of buying this DVD but wondered if the presentation of the movie causes rainbows on a DLP projector? I have a Themescene H30...

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    From what i know "rainbows" are a result of DLP technology itself rather then the source.

3. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not to my eyes, nor anyone elses in my family and thats on a Screnplay 5700 :D

4. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would imagine its a rainbow fest as the film is shot in a very contrasty (is that a word) black and white with splashes of colour here and there, the rainbows i've seen when demoing pjs have generally been light objects on dark backgrounds so this should be an excellent test to see if you are sensitive to rainbows.

5. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I agree; if you're sensitive to rainbows, Sin City is likely to fling an awful lot of them at you. On the other hand, I've got a copy of the film and am a little bit wary of seeing how poor it looks on my LCD (AE500)... All in all, unless you're very high end, this is probably not a great PJ film.

6. joseywales

joseywales

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have ,an H78 fed by a Denon A11 and sin city looks superb , in fact its my favourite film at the mo to show friends . I havn't noticed any rainbows .

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    LOL!!! I've never heard someone actually relegate themselves to simply not being able to watch a certain film on their projector. I think you may want to invest in some blackout blinds and get some black detail back.

8. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'll certainly watch it via my AE500 Liam - and let you know how it looks if this thread's still going by the time I get around to it - but surely it's a given that some films show the weakness of a system more than others. My point was that Sin City (i.e a high contrast B & W film) is likey to show up the problems inherent in both DLP AND LCD. Rest assured, ultimately, I'd still rather watch it on my big screen than on the CRT...

9. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    iv watched sin city on screenplay7205 no rainbows where as gladiator one of my favourites i do see rainbows

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yes of course, just tiggled my funny bone a bit is all!! Although you would be amazed how much colour strength you gain just by dropping the ambient light levels. To the degree that I have even covered the LEDs on several clients system racks....

11. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm absolutely with you on that one: I always cover up the ludicrous big blue LED on my Samsung DVD-HD935.

All being well, I'm going to get my loft converted into a dedicated cinema room in the next few months; am I right to hope I'll get a very noticably beter picture by having the walls & carpet a very dark colour than my current cream walls/pale carpet in the living room? I'm already starting to look forward to films in this new set-up to the extent I'm putting off watching some for now (Sin City being one I'd had in mind)...

12. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That's interesting, and goes against what I'd have expected. How susceptible would you say you are to RBE?

13. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched Sin City on my Z3.5 - the source was a high quality DVDrip converted to XVID and then scaled to 720p by ffdshow from my HTPC over HDMI.

The picture was excellent as was the film. I had no complaints on either score and I have to say I felt it was one of the best cinematic experiences I have had on the projector.

I do use filters and have D65 calibration thanks to ROne so no doubt the enhanced blacks from the filters and the HTPC made a difference.

Regards
    sainthalo

14. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I watched Sin City on my Optoma H78 and looked fine to me - plenty of detail etc and an enjoyable movie too.

Yes, dark non reflective walls will reduce the amount of light that will reflect back onto the screen. If the scene contains both shadows and bright images, the reflected light will reflect back and wash out the shadow detail. If the scene is all bright, any light that reflects back off of coloure walls may add a colour tint to the screen. Black felt or velvet is ideal but you need the walls above ear height to be reflective so some black speaker grill cloth like that found in Maplins will do the trick (they do a felt like cloth too which I'll be trying out sometime soon).

Gary.

15. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Louis Mazzini,

I've watched it on my 500 and I couldn't see any problems, in fact I thought the picture was excellent :thumbsup:

Remember just over a year ago this was one of the most highly rated LCD PJ's, and I think it still competes very well again the latest generation. Get yourself a copy of DVE and run through the programs and you will be very surprised how well a 500 can still perform! :lesson:

16. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    when i first bought was looking for rainbows and did see them.i now see them rarely mainly if im very tired

17. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I've watched it on my H78 and saw no rainbows. However, I do see rainbows from time to time on all the DLPs I have owned (quite a few) particularly when I am looking for them, am tired, or after a rain shower :) (Only joking on the last bit).

Great film (though not really my cup of tea) but looked superb on the H78.

18. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    why are you joking? I also see rainbows after (or sometimes before) rain showers! :D :D

19. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw plenty of rainbows on my BenQ PE7700 when watching Sin City. It wouldn't stop me watching it though :)

20. Ianf

Ianf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the best image I have yet seen on the Z3 - The film ( Sin City) is also rather good

21. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I've only seen bits of the movie myself on a mates regular TV. I had to leave cos I didn't wanna ruin what looked like such a good movie on such a crappy telly (sorry Ant - but it is a crap telly). Gonna blast it up on Saturday on ThemeScene H79 + Lumagen SDI + Philips 963 SDI :D :D :D :D :D :D

I expect to be suitably blown away ;)

22. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I've been dying to watch this film, might give it a whirl tonight with my new filters.

23. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i watched this DVD a while ago scaled the NTSC signal to 720p using FFDShow with all the various tweaks then outputted via DVI to my projector. its the best quality ive seen from a DVD scaled up and its now my ultimate demo disk for audio and visual :thumbsup:

its such a great film as well so dont not watch it because you think your display will not be up to it etc just sit back and enjoy the material not moan at picture deficiencies

24. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    ok, i got a 7205, have watched both Sin City and Gladiator in a room with apple white walls and ceiling but no actual light sources other than projector.....

no probs.....only time i have seen rainbows was on Guess Who in a scene where they showing the front of a house and there was a sprinkler on the lawn, for some reason that showed the RBE very plainly........otherwise none that i've noticed...

if it helps i have pretty much perfect vision.....mebbe degraded vision makes it easier to see rainbows? the screendoor effect i see VERY easily, hence my going for a HD DLP over a LCD....we have a HD LCD at work and whenever we use it for either presentations or films i can see the chickenwire blatently and is quite distracting...lol

25. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Gary,
    I've watched it on your old NEC - it looked rather good, no problem to my old eyes anyway! To be honest, I'm not very senitive to rainbows, but can see them from time to time. Buy with confidence.
    Most importantly, it's a cracking film (what it's all about, after all).

Cheers Adie.

26. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Glad you're still enjoying it. :)

Are you still using it with the iris open or with it closed and the lamp on high?

Gary.

27. yauyin

yauyin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just tested it on my optoma h31 (90" screen), the PQ is INCREDIBLE and i dindt notice any rainbows. as long as ur dlp projector is 4x or higher the avg person shodulnt notice many rainobows unlesss they are moving their eyes too frantically from opposite ends of the screen, in that case I'd assume it would be very beneficial to move further back from the screen.

28. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Watched an hour of this last night on the TX, great film and awesome PQ....PJ